Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 24 of 40 FirstFirst ... 4141516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast

Burlington Bike Night (Every Tuesday from 5:30-8pm)

Re: Burlington Bike Night (Every Tuesday from 5:30-8pm)

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    Thanks for reaching out to her John. It also never even crossed my mind that the problem would be over there, but it is an area that is normally out of sight, so I guess it makes sense. Hopefully we can establish and maintain a cordial relationship with the neighbors so that these concerns come through us and not a more official channel. I'm thinking a twitter account would be a great way for people to get in touch with us.
    I believe, @BTVBikeNight, does exist on Twitter. I am not sure who maintains it but it does exist. I would also recommend the #btvbn hash tag (a twitter thing) as well. (#BTVBikeNight is fine too...but shorter can be better)

An update .. Sarah sent me another tweet this morning. I didn't want to give her any twitter info until after some thought & discussion. (i.e. @BTVBikeNight, #btvbikenight #btvbn ...etc) We could always give her a cup for soda? ;-) We'll keep the commo lines open.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I hadn't thought about trying to get in or out one of those doors with a dog, but I know that with Maria's dog, it would be damn tough to get in or out a door successfully with a bike parked within 6-8 feet of it (a six-foot leash is a short leash, and I'm sure Maria's dog would be very interested in the bikes and people around). I don't know if Sarah's dog is similar in size or inclination, but Luna is rather talented at getting her lead wrapped around whatever happens to be nearby, and getting snagged on a bike would definitely be a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    I hadn't thought about trying to get in or out one of those doors with a dog, but I know that with Maria's dog, it would be damn tough to get in or out a door successfully with a bike parked within 6-8 feet of it (a six-foot leash is a short leash, and I'm sure Maria's dog would be very interested in the bikes and people around). I don't know if Sarah's dog is similar in size or inclination, but Luna is rather talented at getting her lead wrapped around whatever happens to be nearby, and getting snagged on a bike would definitely be a concern.
    Sarah indicated that her front door was the door designated "A" in the image below. If there were bikes parked on the sidewalk near her front door & impeding her access, it was very unlikely they were Bike Night participants. Let's give everyone the benefit of the doubt, because of confusion in the communication channel, let use the door designated "B" in order to be accommodating to both Sarah & to residents that might use Door B. Using the Google Street View & the width the door as a reference I have delimited a possible min & max for bike sidewalk parking. Iif we use 8 feet as suggested by kboderick, the 8 foot line would be 6" to the right of the Min line, assuming a 30" door width. Assuming 30" door width, min line is 7.5' from the close edge of door B, the max line is 10 feet. If we were to use a tape measure next Tuesday, I think we would find that my estimates would be very conservation and the boundary closer to Door B. (probably not by much) ..but hey, that's what happens when you get a EE/CS type involved. I think if we document & hold to a standard boundary that is considerate & reasonable to all concerned regarding sidewalk parking, all will be well.

My personal thoughts...

Downtown Winooski is urban, dense, & zoned multi-use (residential & commercial).

I am sure the Farmer's Market disrupts things as well but the overall benefits to the merchants, residents & farmers out weigh the very temporary weekly inconveniences. (i.e. those pedestrian crosswalk to get to the center of the rotary) This very same street & sidewalk has outside seating for restaurants which would also be has interesting to dogs as motorcycles. (perhaps more so) I think we can make it work with a little adjustment from all concerned. My view, our occasional (..and permitted for a couple of years now) sidewalk parking is no different than the sidewalk sales & outdoor seating for restaurants with regards to pedestrian traffic. If it is ok for these types of commonly accepted & appropriate uses of the public spaces & sidewalks, then as long as we are respectful, accommodating (objective reasonably) & considerate, our occasional use of the sidewalk is appropriate as well.

I need to head home, walk my dog & figure out a long ride for my mental health this weekend.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 09-08-11 at 11:50 AM.

Wow John, time to take a break! haha. Nice analysis. Let's just see what happens next Tuesday..

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by korndogg View Post
    Wow John, time to take a break! haha. Nice analysis. Let's just see what happens next Tuesday..
    yeah... time to write some perl code & configure a web app for this & that... maybe this weekend I will work up a 3D Model of the Donny's Pizza corner for some motorcycle parking & traffic simulations...nah... I will go for a nice easy ride someplace... that a better idea.

I'm one step closer to getting back on the bike! Just have to get through some PT and I should be back on the road before the leaves are gone (I hope). The muscles in my knee are pretty much useless at this point, so it may take a little while.

And for the record, I love Perl, I've wasted far too much of my company's time writing scripts I wasn't supposed to write (4,000+ lines when I was done...oops)

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

I'm one step closer to getting back on the bike! Just have to get through some PT and I should be back on the road before the leaves are gone (I hope).
    I'm jealous. I'll be lucky if I can get in a ride or two before the snow flies, let alone before the leaves are gone.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

I'm one step closer to getting back on the bike! Just have to get through some PT and I should be back on the road before the leaves are gone (I hope). The muscles in my knee are pretty much useless at this point, so it may take a little while.

And for the record, I love Perl, I've wasted far too much of my company's time writing scripts I wasn't supposed to write (4,000+ lines when I was done...oops)
    Awesome... the recovery & recuperation trail is a bit windy & bumpy (been on it a few times) .. my leg is decent enough for a few short rides, still not up for my usual sparring & training...that will be a few more weeks.. but I don't want to run the risk of reinjury.

Let's all get riding again as soon as safely possible. More importantly, we need more ride reports from Mark & Keith.

PS: I don't do any heavy-duty perl coding (like in the old days)...just the usual quick & dirty solutions to provide solutions that others (i.e. consultants, vendors, resellers, etc) don't seem to have the time to provide their customers.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 09-09-11 at 04:13 PM.

Agreed Keith. As much as you guys are all awesome, its tough, especially for a woman, to feel comfortable in approaching a large group of motorcyclists who are mainly dudes to talk about parking/noise/issues. Having a direct route to get in touch with you guys so that issues can be identified and corrected asap is a very good idea.
    One of the goals of BBN is to promote a healthy public image for motorcycles in general, but specifically for sport bikes. Keep that rolling.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Hmm. I might have to try that chicken souvlaki pizza...

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Glad I didn't stay much later than I did. We got a bunch of rain here shortly after 8.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by korndogg View Post
    Glad I didn't stay much later than I did. We got a bunch of rain here shortly after 8.
    Same here, i got home, and then *PSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHH* Power=gone. lol

~2007 Yamaha YZF600R~
    Mods: Flush mount turn signals, 2bros c-2 exhaust, Puig Carbon black windscreen, Michelin PR2's, Custom Icy Pearl white paint job w/ my own sharpie design, Ride it shorty clutch and brake levers

I hate working tuesday nights.... I can't wait to see you guys next week. Hopefully I'll be in my new apartment by then. I found a sublet in winooski in the web of apartments above the round about.

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

How many days/weeks do you guys think we have left riding?

~2007 Yamaha YZF600R~
    Mods: Flush mount turn signals, 2bros c-2 exhaust, Puig Carbon black windscreen, Michelin PR2's, Custom Icy Pearl white paint job w/ my own sharpie design, Ride it shorty clutch and brake levers

Quote Originally Posted by jopo16 View Post
    I'm aiming for first week of December, but it all depends on when the snow flies. Your situation is probably different though, as I've acquired enough gear to be thoroughly ready for the cold weather.

'90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by jopo16 View Post
    Hopefully 52 more weeks...

I hope to ride on until the snow & ice makes me nervous. My goal is riding until the Dec 6th Bike Night. After that, it's all gravy or crazy

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 09-17-11 at 07:23 AM.

Most years I can keep riding till at least Christmas -- maybe not every day, but at least once a week or so. Winter before last I managed to ride at least once every two weeks through the entire winter (we got lucky and had a very dry winter). Last winter, not so much -- the volume of snowfall kept me off the bike through most of January and February.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Most years I can keep riding till at least Christmas -- maybe not every day, but at least once a week or so. Winter before last I managed to ride at least once every two weeks through the entire winter (we got lucky and had a very dry winter). Last winter, not so much -- the volume of snowfall kept me off the bike through most of January and February.

--mark
    I remember i road my bike in April, but the first time i road on my cat was in February

~2007 Yamaha YZF600R~

Sorry...I have to miss Bike Night tonight but I hope to be there next week sporting a new gold chain bling for my bike. (they didn't have it in my favorite color...Boring Black. Fortunately, the new sprockets will start out in my favorite colors.)

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 09-20-11 at 01:24 PM.

Sorry I can't make it tonight guys....living in CT makes it a bit tricky. I'm hoping to get out for a ride this Sunday...one of my 3 days off this month. I'm excited for tonight though as I may get out of work while the sun is still up (jinx!!). Hope everyone is well. I'll let y'all know if I get an interview up there for an advanced position. I'd love to get home for good....so I could buy my pit bike back from J-Bell! Cheers!

SP

---------------------------------------------------
    - Nothing Witty -

2002 Ducati 998 (sold)
    2006 Xtreme Pro Stock 125cc (sold to JBell)
    2000 Ducati 748 track (sold)

Does anybody have an M6 Helicoil kit that I can borrow? I don't need the helicoils themselves, just the tools to install them. I'll buy you a slice at Donny's I have an M6 Time-sert kit that I can lend out if anybody needs it. It won't work for my application though

'90 Yamaha XT350

Does anybody have an M6 Helicoil kit that I can borrow? I don't need the helicoils themselves, just the tools to install them. I'll buy you a slice at Donny's I have an M6 Time-sert kit that I can lend out if anybody needs it. It won't work for my application though
    I believe I do. I know I have m8, I would imagine I have m6 as well. If you still need it I will check later today.

Hey Jason, I'm pretty sure Keith still needs it, but he's away for the weekend.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Hey Jason, I'm pretty sure Keith still needs it, but he's away for the weekend.

--mark
    cool, I'll take a look.