Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Chain Breaker Needed?

Chain Breaker Needed?

Hello Vermont ...

I had a total "Duh" moment. Ordered up some sprockets (shipped) & a new chain (received) including a few tooly doo-dads (master clip pliers, mechanical chain alignment tool...hey... I have a soft spot for tools) ...but I forgot a chain breaker (*** duh ***)

Yeah...I figure I could pull out some gawd-awful tricks I learned on the farm back in the day (i.e. BFH "Big F'ing Hammer" or BFG "Big F'ing Grinder" ... of course, I never rule out bolt cutters or blow torches either, important part of any aspiring mechanical hacker toolkit) ...since I try to live by the adage..."A Proper Tool for a Proper Job" , (which provides me with a pretense for buying more tools) I should have gotten a chain breaker for my 525 chain replacement project I wanted to do this weekend? (I don't plan on riveting my own chain, I am wussing out and going with a clip style master link... Unkle Pokey McPutt-Putt is not prone to racing style burn-outs, wheelies, or brutal acceleration.)

Does anyone have a chain breaker suitable for a 525 chain that I can borrow? If there is a relatively inexpensive breaker I can buy in town (Burlington), point the way!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Re: Chain Breaker Needed?

If it's a junk chain that's next stop is the recycling bin use a cut-off wheel through the side plates. I've even done them with a dremel tool and the fiber reinforced little wheel. It takes less than 5 minutes...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

I have a chain breaker, but I don't even bother to use it. In order to use the chain breaker, you first have to dremel off the heads to the rivets, then get the tool to line up properly (sounds easy, but it isn't), then hope you don't snap the pin that pushes the rivet through. Since you have to use the dremel anyway, it's way easier to just bust off the old chain with the quickest and most efficient method you have available. You shouldn't be reusing that chain anyway.

You are welcome to borrow my chain tool as long as you replace the pin if it breaks if that's the route you want to go.

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCVermont View Post
    Hello Vermont ...

I had a total "Duh" moment. Ordered up some sprockets (shipped) & a new chain (received) including a few tooly doo-dads (master clip pliers, mechanical chain alignment tool...hey... I have a soft spot for tools) ...but I forgot a chain breaker (*** duh ***)

Yeah...I figure I could pull out some gawd-awful tricks I learned on the farm back in the day (i.e. BFH "Big F'ing Hammer" or BFG "Big F'ing Grinder" ... of course, I never rule out bolt cutters or blow torches either, important part of any aspiring mechanical hacker toolkit) ...since I try to live by the adage..."A Proper Tool for a Proper Job" , (which provides me with a pretense for buying more tools) I should have gotten a chain breaker for my 525 chain replacement project I wanted to do this weekend? (I don't plan on riveting my own chain, I am wussing out and going with a clip style master link... Unkle Pokey McPutt-Putt is not prone to racing style burn-outs, wheelies, or brutal acceleration.)

Does anyone have a chain breaker suitable for a 525 chain that I can borrow? If there is a relatively inexpensive breaker I can buy in town (Burlington), point the way!

Check the used tool store next to Land Air on Kellogg St in Essex Jct.

TIMMYDUCK

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

A hacksaw will do it easily.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Quote Originally Posted by SSearchVT View Post
    If it's a junk chain that's next stop is the recycling bin use a cut-off wheel through the side plates. I've even done them with a dremel tool and the fiber reinforced little wheel. It takes less than 5 minutes...
    Are you telepathic? I have a cutting wheel for my skillsaw that I used to cut a Kryptonite bike lock to retrieve my bicycles once (moral : don't lose the key) ... why use a hacksaw when I can have more power!

Hey T'Duck ... good idea to check the used tool store near Land-Air..I needed a reason to go into there... I doubt I will leave empty handed even if they have nothing I can use for my bike projects.

Mmmm.... sounds like I have a good pretense to get a decent dremel tool which I don't have...eh eh eh.

Oh..this chain is destined for the scrape metal bin...definitely... I would only reuse it for some sort of mechanical contraption ... Mmm... that's an idea.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I figured my subconscious was making me forgot this item for a reason.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 09-23-11 at 10:21 AM.

Bullshit meter pegged scottfromboston's Avatar

Don't bother with a cordless dremel, IMO. More power!

Are you telepathic? I have a cutting wheel for my skillsaw that I used to cut a Kryptonite bike lock to retrieve my bicycles once (moral : don't lose the key) ... why use a hacksaw when I can have more power!

Hey T'Duck ... good idea to check the used tool store near Land-Air..I needed a reason to go into there... I doubt I will leave empty handed even if they have nothing I can use for my bike projects.

Mmmm.... sounds like I have a good pretense to get a decent dremel tool which I don't have...eh eh eh.

Oh..this chain is destined for the scrape metal bin...definitely... I would only reuse it for some sort of mechanical contraption ... Mmm... that's an idea.

Thanks for all of the ideas. I figured my subconscious was making me forgot this item for a reason.

~Scott
    2020 SMC-R

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Cutoff wheel. 30 seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    I have a chain breaker, but I don't even bother to use it. In order to use the chain breaker, you first have to dremel off the heads to the rivets, then get the tool to line up properly (sounds easy, but it isn't), then hope you don't snap the pin that pushes the rivet through. Since you have to use the dremel anyway, it's way easier to just bust off the old chain with the quickest and most efficient method you have available. You shouldn't be reusing that chain anyway.

You are welcome to borrow my chain tool as long as you replace the pin if it breaks if that's the route you want to go.
    Huh thats interesting. I've never had to cut the rivets to get the master out. And I'm using a harbor freight chain breaker.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Huh thats interesting. I've never had to cut the rivets to get the master out. And I'm using a harbor freight chain breaker.
    much easier to just grind the rivet heads off and push the pins out. or if its a chain you're throwing away just cut right through the plates.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    much easier to just grind the rivet heads off and push the pins out. or if its a chain you're throwing away just cut right through the plates.
    Yeah I have cut the plates before. It's actually much easier than the chain breaker haha. That or break the chain with a screwdriver or small crowbar. Those are fun times.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Thanks for all of the encouragement. My sprockets havent arrived yet but I hope to get started tomorrow... Weather permitting... let the sparks fly! muahahahah

Lifer

Thanks for all of the encouragement. My sprockets havent arrived yet but I hope to get started tomorrow... Weather permitting... let the sparks fly! muahahahah
    You'll spend more time looking for the cut-off tool and plugging it in than actually using it... It goes really quick. Break the front sprocket nut loose before cutting the chain...

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

[QUOTE=SSearchVT;1102852]You'll spend more time looking for the cut-off tool and plugging it in than actually using it... It goes really quick. Break the front sprocket nut loose before cutting the chain...[/QUOTE

Hey SSearchVT... thanks for reminding me of that...and thank you all for the various nuggets of wisdom & offers for garage space.

The project is completed & just in time for a great of riding today.

Using my "garage", I did the disassembly, fortunately, the hardware store was close by because I neeed an 8mm box-end wrench...then...I needed a 19mm 1/2" socket to break one of the rear sprocket nuts using my 1/2" "big-hoss" socket arm-bar (according to the catalog, it is called a "Craftsman 1/2 in. dr. 15 in. Flex Handle" )

How did I finally decide to cut/break the chain? Well, I didn't find any master link/clip on my chain so I just needed to cut it. I had a metal cutting blade ($2) for my skillsaw & a little "WorkMate" bench to hold the chain while I cut through it. (lots of sparks, it went pretty quick..the kids loved it) I didn't start early enough on Saturday. It got dark & really buggy so I quit for the evening after I assembled the new chain using the ye old "clamp & nut" trick to press on the side plate for the master link ...and special pliers I got for the master link clip worked great. Especially when I put the clip facing the wrong direction... easy on, easy off, and easy back on again.

Finished up the tedious reassembly, chain adjustments, etc, etc...Behold the new shiny chain (generously lubricated of course), I did a short check ride. Everthing seemed fine, as on Sweet Farm Road..very nice road.. recommended.

a riding friend of mine callled asked if I wanted to ride...sure..why not...just dive in. The weather was *great*. We did some back roads (paved & dirt) in Bolton, Stowe, Morrisville, and Johnson. Great foliage. ...if memory serves, this w

Of course, We had to try something resembling a class 4 road, so we went to the end of Prospect Rock Road in Johnson that takes you to a nice trail head for the Long Trail. Actually, in very good shape, just wide enough for a SUV...one at a time... classic but good quality dual-track, a nice place to camp or have a lunch. (if I can do it, anyone can) My riding partner for today also has a Nighthawk 750 as well. Although, I think his is part mountain goat.

For future, My chain tool pushes rivets out, and puts em in... no need for grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post
    For future, My chain tool pushes rivets out, and puts em in... no need for grinding.
    Sir Kitt... I wish lived next door. Someday I will find a way to visit your Addison County "Shop of Dreams", learn some shop wisdom & take advantage of your experience. ...but sadly I have no trailer or 2d car to pull it. which adds some uncertainty doing repairs on my bike outside of my zip code.

I did enjoy the shower of sparks... who doesn't like to make sparks?

That's crazy, I just hiked up to Prospect Rock yesterday! That is a great road for motoring. BTW, try the Burger Barn sometime... Amazing burger stand in Jeff.

Loved your chain breaking setup.

I hiked up Prospect Rock on Saturday! haha

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    That's crazy, I just hiked up to Prospect Rock yesterday! That is a great road for motoring. BTW, try the Burger Barn sometime... Amazing burger stand in Jeff.

Loved your chain breaking setup.
    loved when the burger barn was in front of the stone store. signs for a burger barn and you look back at the big red barn, then see a tiny barn shaped shed that I'm not sure I could stand in or turn around in. the signs are as big as the burger barn. never stopped there though, burgers are good?

theres just something about a blue bike

Burger Barn... check, added to my "go-to" list.

Prospect Rock Road...as you all mentioned, very pleasant, a fair amount of cars, but it is a popular trail head.

Burger Barn is SO good!

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track