Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Doc's Weight Loss thread

Re: Doc's Weight Loss thread

Quote Originally Posted by naked-daytrader View Post
    I use flaxseed oil mixed with my protein shakes for the most part, you can also use cannola oil. I also eat alot of almonds, peanut butter...stuff like that. That's about the only fat that I take in. Again, in order for you to trick your body you have to do a steady workout to speed that metabolism. If you're not taking in enough food to fuel your body, what happens is your body will hold on, or store fat, because it's afraid it won't have enough energy(fuel) to sustain itself. When you feed it fat it'll actually let go of the fat it has faster (burn fat) becuase it thinks theres going to be a plentiful amount of fuel coming in.

Does that make sense?
    Yep... I am a nurse. I know how metabolism works.

I used to work out pretty regularly and took protein and creatine and ripped fuel, etc.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by naked-daytrader View Post
    I use flaxseed oil mixed with my protein shakes for the most part, you can also use cannola oil. I also eat alot of almonds, peanut butter...stuff like that. That's about the only fat that I take in. Again, in order for you to trick your body you have to do a steady workout to speed that metabolism. If you're not taking in enough food to fuel your body, what happens is your body will hold on, or store fat, because it's afraid it won't have enough energy(fuel) to sustain itself. When you feed it fat it'll actually let go of the fat it has faster (burn fat) becuase it thinks theres going to be a plentiful amount of fuel coming in.

Does that make sense?
    I think the body goes into starvation under 1500-1700 cals. (net) per day.

What you're saying is close to atkins, but I was always under the impression the proper ratio of calories was best...

cal types by %
    15% fat
    35% protein
    50% carbs

daily net 1700-1900.

Doc, you don't need to lose weight, you just need to start riding bikes that can haul your fat ass around! I think harleys are popular with overweight dudes these days...

This competition is biased towards people with a lot of fat to burn. If my workout went as planned, I would actually gain 10-15 lb or so.

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Quote Originally Posted by Kitt View Post

What you're saying is close to atkins, but I was always under the impression the proper ratio of calories was best...

cal types by %
    15% fat
    35% protein
    50% carbs

daily net 1700-1900.

I'm just giving suggestions of what works for me...and my diet is pretty extreme because I eat very very little carbs, probably under 30 grams a day and I work out extremely hard, which could potentially be dangerous health wise... There's a fine balance that I have to maintain or I run the risk of being sick all the time due to my body getting run down and not able to repair itself properly (which when I first started this routine I was getting sick allot but have since learned where that fine line resides). But make no mistake, this routine absolutely 100% works and works fast!

Last edited by naked-daytrader; 03-04-10 at 02:13 PM.
    CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 KTM 560 SMR - 2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2002-2006

Quote Originally Posted by SVenpointsixtwo View Post
    This competition is biased towards people with a lot of fat to burn. If my workout went as planned, I would actually gain 10-15 lb or so.
    Just you wait till you hit 30, skinny boy.

I used to be tall and thin and could eat whatever I wanted without gaining weight too.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

Start week (week #1)
    Doc= 213
    DDK - 204

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Just you wait till you hit 30, skinny boy.

I used to be tall and thin and could eat whatever I wanted without gaining weight too.

--mark
    Age has nothing to do with it.

MSF RiderCoach
    MSF Dirt Bike School Coach

Quote Originally Posted by 5TOEZ View Post
    #5 Hangout w/Jaynnus................
    she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.
    PKism: you don't count, you're just a guy with indoor plumbing

cal types by %
    15% fat
    35% protein
    50% carbs

daily net 1700-1900.
    1700-1900 calories a day for an adult is very low.

For reference: I'm currently reading a book on the Berlin Airlift. The Air Force factored in daily rations of 1882 calories per typical adult (more for manual laborers) when determining how much food they would need to bring into the city.

That was three years after the conclusion of WW2. Berlin was still in ruins and was being blockaded by the Soviets. The only way of getting food to western Berlin was to fly it in, and they didn't have 747s or C-5s yet then, and even under these conditions, 1882 calories was considered the minimum before starvation set in (and even with those rations, most Berliners still had to supplement their diets with food they managed to get from the black market).

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

1700-1900 calories a day for an adult is very low.

For reference: I'm currently reading a book on the Berlin Airlift. The Air Force factored in daily rations of 1882 calories per typical adult (more for manual laborers) when determining how much food they would need to bring into the city.

That was three years after the conclusion of WW2. Berlin was still in ruins and was being blockaded by the Soviets. The only way of getting food to western Berlin was to fly it in, and they didn't have 747s or C-5s yet then, and even under these conditions, 1882 calories was considered the minimum before starvation set in (and even with those rations, most Berliners still had to supplement their diets with food they managed to get from the black market).

--mark
    thanks for the history lesson... didn't mentions C5's at all in the nutrition books I read! haha... and yea, 1700-1900 is to get you just over the point of putting your body in starvation, so it sounds like we're pretty spot-on.

I didn't know this thread was about # of calories intake a day to maintain bodyweight during a time of war.

NET 1700-1900 is different than 1882.6713 calories - walking/carrying daypacks all day... those guys were probably looking at a net of a couple hundred calories.

The point I was making is that getting food into Berlin was extremely difficult, and if it had been possible to get away with smaller rations they would have. It wasn't. And by the way, this was for the citizens of Berlin, not for soldiers getting exercise all day long. The war was over.

So advising someone to go on a 1700-calorie-a-day diet is probably not such a great idea from a health standpoint.

--mark

this may seem somewhat radical, but a juice fast, or "detox" is a great catalyst for weight loss. typically its 2 days of raw foods, 3 days of juice and water, and 2 days of raw foods coming back into a "normal" diet. you'll lose a bunch of weight during the fast (which is encouraging) and when you come back out your stomach will have shrunk making you full on less. it's worked very well for me (also 5'8", formerly 198, was 172, bck up to 178) at a 2x /year frequency. i'm planning on doing another come the first week in april.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynnus View Post
    That is way below what they say is healthy. I though women (in your age group were considered healthy at 20-30%.

Not that I should talk....mine is well below what they consider healthy for my age group In my defense...it aint my fault!! I eat like a bus full of caged Jenny Craig members at a Krispy Kreme drive through.
    negative- 30% body fat percentage is overweight. Healthy average of body fat for females ranges between 18%-23%, 15-17% for males.

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

so i lost 15 lbs between christmas and end of february, but for the last week or so have really lost motivation, sucks!

but i am still hand splitting wood

"Chatbox...It's like Vegas, for your fingers."

Originally Posted by CBR_Knight
    in my own thread, let me post this:
    first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

The point I was making is that getting food into Berlin was extremely difficult,
    haha, i dont think doc living in berlin would be good for his diet...

So advising someone to go on a 1700-calorie-a-day diet is probably not such a great idea from a health standpoint.

--mark
    It's an internet forum... if somebody is taking me to court over malpractice, i wouldn't be surprised haha.

BUT, I stand by my claim, and I can give you a few references from medical publications to support it. Remember, we're TRYING to lose weight here... "starvation mode" where your body shuts down and saves calories, is different than the media term "starvation" which means losing weight involuntarily...

That said, since you're an expert, could you give me the 3000 net calories a day diet plan where I will lose weight? definitely interested in that one, but i'd have to start eating a lot more, and excercising a lot less.

Uh jesus, the Doc called me a fatty. Told me I was 151, but with shoes and clothes its more like 149.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Eat right and get your fat ass in the gym.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Uh jesus, the Doc called me a fatty. Told me I was 151, but with shoes and clothes its more like 149.
    wow, two months ago i was two richies

sounds like any females dream

"Chatbox...It's like Vegas, for your fingers."

Originally Posted by CBR_Knight
    in my own thread, let me post this:
    first of all, nothing about sex or play with a female seems interesting or arousing to me....

"BALLS" is coming home late after a night out with the guys smelling of perfume and beer, lipstick on your collar, slapping your wife on the ass and having the balls to say "you're next!"

That said, since you're an expert, could you give me the 3000 net calories a day diet plan where I will lose weight? definitely interested in that one, but i'd have to start eating a lot more, and excercising a lot less.
    Oh for fuck's sake. All I ever said is that 1700 calories a day is less food than was considered acceptable to give people in a survival situation under nearly impossible circumstances.

There are people who like to diet by consuming nothing but water for a week. That doesn't mean it's good for them.

--mark

Start week (week #1)
    Doc= 213
    DDK - 204
    GT2 - 248

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    negative- 30% body fat percentage is overweight. Healthy average of body fat for females ranges between 18%-23%, 15-17% for males.
    That is not what it says here... http://www.healthyforms.com/helpful-...percentage.php

But what do I know...I never paid much attention to this stuff.

MSF RiderCoach

she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynnus View Post
    Umm ... I dont believe a word that sight says, since these are my stats.
    According to the information you entered, your total weight is approximately 14% body fat, which falls within the acceptable healthy range for your age and gender. For men between the ages of 18-39, the healthy body fat percentage range is between 8-20%.

If Im 14%, I find it EXTREMELY unlikely 8% is any sort of healthy.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Umm ... I dont believe a word that sight says, since these are my stats.
    According to the information you entered, your total weight is approximately 14% body fat, which falls within the acceptable healthy range for your age and gender. For men between the ages of 18-39, the healthy body fat percentage range is between 8-20%.

If Im 14%, I find it EXTREMELY unlikely 8% is any sort of healthy.
    I found it on the internet...it MUST be true!!!

MSF RiderCoach

she rides like the wind
    & smells good too.

5 pages of crap to find out Doc is a fat ass?

Lets add 12% goal numbers and 5% numbers (by the first race weekend)

Start week (week #1)
    Doc - 213 12% Total goal -25,5 lbs by Aug 1 or 5% 10.5 lbs by April 23rd
    DDK - 204 12% Total goal -24.5 lbs by Aug 1 or 5% 10.2 lbs by April 23rd
    GT2 - 248 12% Total goal -29.7 lbs by Aug 1 or 5% 12.4 lbs by April 23rd
    Kitt - 208 12% Total goal -24.9 lbs by Aug 1 or 5% 10.4 lbs by April 23rd
    Black - 208 12% Total goal -24.9 lbs by Aug 1 or 5% 10.4 lbs by April 23rd
    Strgt - 201 12% Total goal -24.1 lbs by Aug 1 or 5% 10.0 lbs by April 23rd

Week 2 April 8th
    Doc
    DDK
    GT2
    Kitt
    Black
    Strgt

Week 3 April 15th
    Doc
    DDK
    GT2
    Kitt
    Black
    Strgt

Last edited by Doc; 03-04-10 at 04:15 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I eat about 1700 calories a day, and my weight has hit a plateau, hence me starting to go to the gym, but I'm pretty much a midget, so it's pretty dependent on the size of the human obviously...... Just make sure you burn more than what you eat in a day. I am a carb junkie, so it's been much harder for me. The gym, and portion control are key. Good luck, when you get it done, it'll feel awesome!

Bopida Beepoo