Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Friday Afternoon w/Good Weather - Stir Crazy at Work

Friday Afternoon w/Good Weather - Stir Crazy at Work

Perhaps I should have titled this thread "Summer Friday Afternoon Mental Health Ride" ...

Nice weather...going a little stir crazy here at the office, I am thinking of going for a ride through Smuggler's Notch to Stowe (my brother is thinking of purchasing some property there), maybe up & back through AppaGap...or not... let the wind, sun & unknown factors set the route.

short notice I realize...but if you see a yellow jacketed rider on a blue Honda nighthawk poking along...salute appropriately.. Unkle Pokey McPutt-Putt & The Blueberry 'Hawk is out on the road for a mental health ride.

Probably leaving at 1pm from my house (Ft. Ethan Allen), cruising up Rt 15 to Underhill to Pleasant Valley Road, Pratt road to Rt. 108, up through the gap, stopping for coffee at Trapp Family Deli/Bakery, along the Trapp Family Road to the Moscow Road, Rt. 100 to Waterbury, let my nose take me back to my house from there. (Duxbury/River Road, Rt 100 to Waitsfield/Warren to Rt. 17 to Gore Richmond Road...who knows)

Of course, I just might "Turn Left at Stowe" & make a growler run to Rock Art to visit their new brewery, then come back along the Rt. 15 then jumping off onto Hogback, etc... to avoid the crappy part of Rt. 15.

anyone interested in blowing past me at 95pmh on that straightaway on Pleasant Valley Rd & meeting up at local landmarks...just let me know...PM, etc before I putt-putt on out.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JohnCVermont; 08-19-11 at 10:32 AM.

Re: Friday Afternoon w/Good Weather - Stir Crazy at Work

I need one of those mental health rides right about now Have fun!

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by NobodySpecific View Post
    I need one of those mental health rides right about now Have fun!
    Thanks...a tad warm for my riding pants *but* I will suck it up until I get something more suited for warm temps. Just some chain adjustment & lube...I will be heading out at the appointed hour.

Stopped by Fanny Allen Rehab for cash (NEFCU ATM in lobby) & waved at Mark before pedaling home.

Sounds like a great ride. I wish I could get out and ride. Working for another few hours.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by korndogg View Post
    Sounds like a great ride. I wish I could get out and ride. Working for another few hours.
    At Trapp Family Lodge right now, enjoying a pastry, coffee and chatting with people at the deli-bakery

Passed by black Ducati with black Givi top box (blown off the road .. No shame in that for Ol Unkle Pokey McPutt-Putt) on the Pleasant Valley Road

Nice ride through the notch

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 08-20-11 at 06:04 PM.

I had a great ride with just a minor mishap... ugh...

My trivial tale of woe & dorkiness in abbreviated form...
    While I was on a great motorcycle ride over to Stowe to have a relaxing ride & visit some properties that my brother was looking into purchasing... a perfect Vermont summer evening (pics) , then in a 0.1 mph turn around, had hip/leg cramp, pulled my hamstring & tipped over ... I am such a dork. If there is a helmet sticker for this, I will wear it to bike night.

Big thanks to OutdoorGuyVT for helping me out as I creeped back from Stowe & lending me the book "Long Way Down". Riders are great people.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 08-21-11 at 04:27 AM.

Ah, that sucks John. Any damage to the bike?

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by korndogg View Post
    Ah, that sucks John. Any damage to the bike?
    Thanks Mr. KornDogg ...

As far as I can tell...<fingers crossed>...just broken clutch lever which should be straightforward to replace & some minor adjustment of the clutch mount on the handlebar , things should be in order. I was able ride it back from the Stowe side of the notch, so mechanically I think the bike is the same as ever (i.e. pretty dang good ... Nighthawks are notoriously durable.)

I'll be back on the roads soon when my leg is strong again... actually, my timing is not too bad. I have to drive my daughter to Albany this Tuesday afternoon, so I will miss Bike Night...so save the clever & witty ribbing until next week. I earned it.

As part of my recovery, I am drinking an "Extra Special Bitter" brew, reviewing some concepts & reading about some very adventurous rides. If there are puns puns between the title of the each book & my dorky tip over, there are intentional.

Not much extreme riding or loud exhausts in front of my house this evening, along the fabled "motorcycle half mile" ... still fun to kick back & watch. Special thanks to OutdoorGuyVT.