Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Help with Fork Seals

Help with Fork Seals

Looking for someone local to BTV that knows how to do fork seals. I found the parts (oem seals) on bike bandit for 50% of what land-air wants for them. Also, cheapest I found for a place to do the seals for me was roadside, which wanted $52 a fork, off the bike plus the cost of oil.

not looking for anything tricky, just want someone with experience with me the first time I tear into forks. looked at the DIY threads and it looks relatively easy but still want some knowledge. I'd throw in a 6 pack or a sammich or both if I could get the help or if any of you know someone who would do it cheaper than roadside. they are for my 2003 600rr.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.734 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Good luck. If you find a place offering $52 a fork to do that, go with them at your own risk. I would suggest taking the forks to gmd computrack and bringing the oem seals with you. It will cost you around $180 I think but you will get a better job done.

Re: Help with Fork Seals

I'd be happy to help out, but all I can do at present is supervise and give advice since my hands aren't working very well.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    all I can do at present is supervise and give advice since my hands aren't working very well.

--mark
    Injured masterbaiting?

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

I can help but I am with Degs, ship em to GMD.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

If you are at the track for the last Boston Moto day, or Sunday Oct 3rd for the race, I can pick them up from you and then return them during the drunkathon. I live close to GMD.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.734 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Good luck. If you find a place offering $52 a fork to do that, go with them at your own risk. I would suggest taking the forks to gmd computrack and bringing the oem seals with you. It will cost you around $180 I think but you will get a better job done.
    These are the stock forks and I'm looking to just get the seals replaced before I dump any more money into suspension work (i know it needs it though). I'm not looking for race prep, just road-worthy. I need it moving so I can figure out what else it will need etc.. because it's not driveable right now and not street legal. Roadside Marine is a very reputable dealer and if I wanted to spend the money to replace the seals, I would drop them off there.

I do plan on sending them to GMD this winter, along with the hawk forks and rear shock etc...

Banned

That's fair enough then. I understand. I wouldn't do them yourself though for that price, I'd have them do them. Cartridge forks are a paion to take apart without a couple of special tools.

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    Injured masterbaiting?
    I wish.

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ver-maine.html

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

jason, i can give ya a hand too, let me know!

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

That's fair enough then. I understand. I wouldn't do them yourself though for that price, I'd have them do them. Cartridge forks are a paion to take apart without a couple of special tools.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to come off snarky. I should have explained my intentions a little better in my first post. I do understand where you are coming from though and I will need internals etc... in order to race this bike next year.

Yea, save up and do it right..GMD

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off snarky. I should have explained my intentions a little better in my first post. I do understand where you are coming from though and I will need internals etc... in order to race this bike next year.
    Oh I didn't think you came across as snarky at all. I also really wasn't suggesting valves and race stuff either. Pete does simple seal changes, too. I just happen to know that he takes the entire fork apart nd cleans them completely before reassembly with new seals and oil. I fully understand where you're at now.

I have the tool for cartridge forks if you end up needing that. I'm a hair busy or I would help you out but to be honest it's going to be a good long while before I have some free time.