Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Got to love the App Gap

Re: Got to love the App Gap

PK had another memorable moment up there a couple of weeks ago. He got to help drag a bike out of the ditch at picnic table corner. Hanging at picnic table corner can be like being a corner worker at the track on occasion.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2010 Ducati 848 DARK
    2005 HD XL1200R
    1984 BMW R100cs
    1979 Triumph 750 Bonneville
    Don't be afraid of the dark side

Quote Originally Posted by rideitfast View Post
    PK had another memorable moment up there a couple of weeks ago. He got to help drag a bike out of the ditch at picnic table corner. Hanging at picnic table corner can be like being a corner worker at the track on occasion.
    Thats the truth...good friend of mine lost his brand new Fat Boy on that corner, the bike rode him into the ditch with a broken hip.

I do miss that road...Ive had more pucker moments on 17 than anywhere else.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

I was up there yesterday and took a pic. Not much left to the guard rail.

2010 Ducati 848 DARK
    2005 HD XL1200R
    1984 BMW R100cs

I was up there yesterday and took a pic. Not much left to the guard rail.
    and you didn't invite me we hung out last time.....

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Parker. It was cool seeing you there. If you stop there again you might want to check out the tree.

2010 Ducati 848 DARK
    2005 HD XL1200R
    1984 BMW R100cs

Hey Parker. It was cool seeing you there. If you stop there again you might want to check out the tree.
    That's Epic! I may have to take a special trip....just to add to the tree!

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

Hey Parker,

Gary and I are starting the official AppGap Bike Night, 6 PM Tuesdays at the picnic table.

http://appgapcornercrew.com/

PK

Hehehe.....

1985 Cagiva 650 Alazzurra, 1992 VFR 750

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCVermont View Post
    Dang .... I missed you all. I went the AppaGap yesterday as well because I really needed to get out of the office. I did my usual up poke-along to the Gore Road from Richmond, up & over the gap on Rt. 17, picked up the German Flats Road to Sugarbush Access Road, up to the Golf Course Road to West Hill Rd, down to Warren Village, then I went up & over the Roxbury Mtn Road, to 12a to Randolf, up Rt 12 to Northfield (nice little loop, nice route, pavement...so-so), blasted up & over "the big hill" on Rt. 64 to Williamstown, Rt 14, back to 89 North to Middlesex exit, picked up Rt.2 to Waterbury, Rt 100 to the Moscow Road, up & through Smuggler's Notch , then Pleasant Valley Road & Rt. 15 back to the Fort Ethan. (google map link)

Sadly, my riding would have not produced such hip-cool riding shots as AHAMAYs2 & Huffer.
    That's a great loop.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by korndogg View Post
    That's a great loop.
    Thank you Mr K'Dogg

I rediscovered Rt. 12a & 12, although the pavement was quite poor in spots, the route traveled & scenery was fun.

Yesterday, A riding buddy & I went out & about the southern part of the Vermont side of Lake Champlain....basically, Route 74 & Route 73... very cool sweeper turns on 73 into Orwell...of course 73 was pretty nice. We did 53 around Lake Dumore then Upper Plains Road to Rt 125 on up to Ripton & the Lincoln Road...

Word of caution... Rt 125 into Ripton is a great curvy road with nice new pavement... somewhat slick pavement...even for this Ol' Unkle Pokey... even my riding buddy who is very experienced said..."wow that was quite slick". Not a lot of moisture on the road but more sliding at 30mph than I liked... dialed it way down. I was actually glad to be on the a nice dirt road like the Lincoln Road.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 07-04-11 at 03:50 PM.

Hell of a day on App Gap Saturday. I was hanging at picnic table corner when two running board bikes hit the guard rail at the same time. The guy in front bounced off the guard rail a few times before he ended up in the ditch. He actually lost a finger. The second guy high sided and ended up pinned between the guard rail and his bike. Once he came to he seem to be in fairly good shape. They both manged to ride away and head for the hospital. Running boards and App Gap don't mix well.

2010 Ducati 848 DARK
    2005 HD XL1200R
    1984 BMW R100cs

Something wrong, officer? Huffer's Avatar

Hell of a day on App Gap Saturday. I was hanging at picnic table corner when two running board bikes hit the guard rail at the same time. The guy in front bounced off the guard rail a few times before he ended up in the ditch. He actually lost a finger. The second guy high sided and ended up pinned between the guard rail and his bike. Once he came to he seem to be in fairly good shape. They both manged to ride away and head for the hospital. Running boards and App Gap don't mix well.
    I've driven the App Gap a number of times and I'm not sure which corner you're talking about. Time for another run. I'm going to try and put one together for next weekend (weather permitting). I know the pavement is kind of rough in spots...it's Vermont, all the pavement is rough in spots. Get over it.

John, maybe we could checkout your special loop?

2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400
    2019 Ducati Monster 821
    2019 Triumph Bobber 1200
    2016 WR450F - Everywhere else ;-)

Zoinks & Ouch! Glad to hear no grievous injury. Next time I go to AppaGap, I will stop by this fabled picnic table. It will make a good place to stop have some coffee & read a chapter or two of "Long Way Round"

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 08-21-11 at 09:30 AM.

The picnic table corner is about a mile from the top on the west side. Look for the spot where the guard rail is bowed all the way to the ground. Tables are on the inside of the corner. If any NESR folks stop at the tables you might want to look for this.

2010 Ducati 848 DARK
    2005 HD XL1200R
    1984 BMW R100cs

Did some pavement scraping Saturday

Quote Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
    I've driven the App Gap a number of times and I'm not sure which corner you're talking about. Time for another run. I'm going to try and put one together for next weekend (weather permitting). I know the pavement is kind of rough in spots...it's Vermont, all the pavement is rough in spots. Get over it.

John, maybe we could checkout your special loop?
    I would doubly-honored to learn that I had a special loop *and* it would be of interest to a member of the inner circle of BTVBN elite. ...lol... whatever I might know or learn, I share gladly.

For various reasons, I do enjoy poking along through the various gaps & notches of Vermont with decent roads (some dirt but decent well maintained roads) given my lack of talent & skill all of my routes must be reasonably safe at appropriate speeds. (If I can ride them, anyone can) So many interesting rides back & forth across the Green Mountains. Sorry I can't join you for 2-4 weeks while my hamstring heals (just dorky single-rider 0.1 MPH tip over). I would be honored to be the "very distant rear guard" for your group in the near future carrying the snacks & coffee thermoses... a little like a chuck wagon for a group of wild cowboys..

I do like going through AppaGap, hitting German Flats Road to the Sugar Bush Access Rd ( then to Golf Course Road to W. Hill Rd.. optional if you wish to avoid dirt), stop in at the Village Store in Warren for a biobreak, water, coffee, BS session... from the Village store..it's riders' choice really...Rt. 100 to Brandon or Middlebury gaps or back through Lincoln Gap ...probably not fun for kneescrapers...or head north on Rt.100 pick up Smuggler's Notch

Here is a conversation starter --> link You may not want to do the excursion down Rt. 12 & back that I did...but 12 & 12a were fun to me at the time. 12a felt kind of wild, with moss growing in the cracked pavement, trees crowding in & narrow shoulders on the road..but the pavement was so-so. I went through the notch (both ways) on Friday. Rt 108 was in pretty good shape. Upper Pleasant Valley Road is quite nice with lots of new pavement just ask the black ducati with a givi top box that blew past me. (but of course, no shame in that) , even the Pratt Road (dirt) was in decent shape.. Blow offm my excursion down Rt 64 was to hit Wilkins HD for some unbreakable sunglasses & visit, I hit 89 just to make tracks to Waterbury because I spent jawboning & hanging out drinking coffee at Wilkins. (but I did blast up 64 from just outside of Norwich...Unkle Pokey McPutt-Putt was taking a nap ... eh eh eh ... have to admit...pretty fun)

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 08-21-11 at 04:50 PM.

They have paved a lot of the east side of Lincoln gap and its kind of a goKart track now

You still have some dirt

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    They have paved a lot of the east side of Lincoln gap and its kind of a goKart track now

You still have some dirt
    Ooooo... nice, thanks for that news Sir Stomper... Last time I was at Lincoln Gap, it looked a like like this on east side with barely paved dirt on the west... good to hear ... still adhering to my standard low speed ethic.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 08-22-11 at 01:39 PM.

A friend of mine called this morning and told me a similar story. He was on the silver Triumph Sprint ST that had done a couple laps over the gap before coming onto the scene shortly after the accident. It's a small world.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

I saw your friend there on the Triumph during all the excitement. Saw him again later in East Middlebury. Tell him to stop by the tables sometime. There's a few of us that hang out there on a regular basis and it can be quite the show on the right day.

2010 Ducati 848 DARK
    2005 HD XL1200R
    1984 BMW R100cs

Lost a finger and rode to the hospital.. crazy.

Tommy R.
    '06 GSXR 1000
    '03 FZ1

Quote Originally Posted by korndogg View Post
    Lost a finger and rode to the hospital.. crazy.
    definitely...

crazy & hardcore. Although, I hope he made to medical attention in time & safely. The effects of shock and adrenaline do vary from person to person. Hopefully, he's ok.

That rider got some serious grit. .. and a big Hooah from me.

Did App Gap today and there's very little sand on the road but the frost heaves are everywhere. Couldn't stop at the picnic tables, snow bank in the way.

2010 Ducati 848 DARK
    2005 HD XL1200R
    1984 BMW R100cs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12