Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Moving Away (But not too far!)

Unhappy Moving Away (But not too far!)

Well folks, it's official.

For those few of you who do not know my lovely girlfriend Marielle, she is a high school english teacher who just graduated from UVM and has been looking for her first full-time teaching position. She was just offered a job at Berwick Academy in South Berwick, Maine, and signed the contract yesterday (via email, as we're currently off adventuring in the wonderful mid-west ) to become a full-time freshman and sophomore english teacher.

So: sometime in early- to mid-august, we will be packing up our stuff and moving to somewhere in south-western ME. It's a really nice area, pretty near both Portland and Portsmouth, NH. Plenty of small towns, both coastal and otherwise, to look for suitable housing and employment opportunities for myself! I'm hoping to rent a real house, with a garage/shed/workshop to store and work on the bikes, and hopefully a deck and a yard and plenty of space and privacy. That all might be a little optimistic, but we're going to start looking as soon as possible! Job-wise, I'm really not sure what I will be doing at all- I will have to start looking in the area for opportunities as well. Depending on how soon I can start working and my pay scale, paying a little more for a nicer house might not be out of the cards either.

I'm going to miss you guys. Bike Night has been a big part of my life (and Marielle's) since I started coming last summer. I've always had a lot of fun checking out bikes and shooting the shit, even (especially?) in mid-winter when it was dark and miserable and just a small group of hard-core BNers drive down (or ride.... Mark! ) I know there's a Maine bike night, and I will post up in their NESR thread and introduce myself as soon as I have more information about where I'll be living and working in the fall. But it certainly won't be the same as the Donny's crew, that much I know right now. I will be back! As often as possible, it's only 3 or 3.5 hours away and will probably be doable for a couple days in the area. Alternately, any and all of you guys are welcome to come down if you want a place to crash in ME; either closer to a trackday so you don't have to drive back right away, or passing through on an adventure ride!

In the meantime, I will have to hurry the hell up on the adventure-bike project so I can plot out some fun trips around Maine! I'm looking forward to the adventure and living in a cool new area, but I'm also pretty bummed that I have to leave behind my town, my family, and my friends.

I'll miss you guys

P.S. I won't be back in time for bike night this tuesday, so we will discuss at Bike Night on the 20th. See you then!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Re: Moving Away (But not too far!)

Congrats to Marielle!

PM me. I know someone in Maine you should meet.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Sucks we'll be losing you, David, but it's definitely an awesome opportunity for Marielle... and ultimately for you too, in all likelihood. Much better job prospects there, I'm sure.

Meantime, get cranking on the SVADV -- I'll help, if necessary -- and come on the Trans-Lab trip!

Oh, also, it'll be easy to meet up for riding the Kanc and such-like...

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 07-10-10 at 09:32 PM.
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

I figured this thread would be coming around after I saw Cereal's announcement on facebook. Congrats to both of you David. It has been a pleasure to see your passion for motorcycles grow over the past year, and you're dedication to Bike Night. Best of luck to you my friend, and though we'll miss you at BN and at Das Bierhaus, I'm sure we'll into you from time to time!
    Hopefully I'll get to see you before you head out. I'm coming home in a few weeks!

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Thanks guys! It means a lot. Maine really isn't that far away, and there's some fun riding between BVT and there, so I'm sure I'll see you guys!

SVenpointsixtwo
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

I'm really going to miss you guys!

Tell Marielle Congratulations! I know she has been crossing her fingers for an opportunity like this for far too long!

Keep us posted as your life moves farther east

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations, but at the same time

Wow, Congrats to Marielle, even though I've just only recently met her. Bummed to be losing the first VTBN rider I met, but I'm sure you'll have a blast in Berwick. That is an amazing part of the country.

Also, if you're ever in Portland, check out Novare Res. You'll enjoy it after spending your time at Das Bierhaus.

See you next week when you get home. Cheers!

---------------------------------------------------
    - Nothing Witty -

2002 Ducati 998 (sold)
    2006 Xtreme Pro Stock 125cc (sold to JBell)
    2000 Ducati 748 track (sold)

T**** rd Tuesdays will never be the same now.

Of course without our fearless T***** leader / organizer, it's not the same, just the same. Get on that Bill. Summer is running out...and David is moving sooner rather than later.

Congrats though, a change of pace isn't a bad thing and you guys will only be a few hours away. Now we have a reason to ride to the coast

This sounds like cause for a SLEEPOVER!!!!

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

Trust me, you will LOVE Portland. It's an awesome city to live near. And there is lots of great riding around that area.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by sandros View Post
    Wow, Congrats to Marielle, even though I've just only recently met her. Bummed to be losing the first VTBN rider I met, but I'm sure you'll have a blast in Berwick. That is an amazing part of the country.

Also, if you're ever in Portland, check out Novare Res. You'll enjoy it after spending your time at Das Bierhaus.

See you next week when you get home. Cheers!
    That place sounds awesome. I will probably have to get two jobs just to afford the amount of bier I plan to drink there

SVenpointsixtwo
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    T**** rd Tuesdays will never be the same now.

Of course without our fearless T***** leader / organizer, it's not the same, just the same. Get on that Bill. Summer is running out...and David is moving sooner rather than later.

Congrats though, a change of pace isn't a bad thing and you guys will only be a few hours away. Now we have a reason to ride to the coast
    Hows about we do a T Rd Thursday! Like this week!

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Welcome to the Seacoast NH area. A couple of things to know. Smiley's in Dover is a good place to find all sorts of beer and Loudon is an hour or less away.

Roland Arsenault
    LRRS and USCRA #763
    2012, 2013 and 2015 Big Fish Small Pond Champion
    "The 4 board is an upshift marker, not a brake marker"

Well, we found a place yesterday! It's in Saco, ME, which was a little bit further away from M's job than she would like (45-ish minute commute) but a lot closer to portland for fun activities and jobs for me and the like.

You can't really see the house on the street view, but you can see the massive garage and barn! The back half of the house is ours (the part to the left of the garage doors, behind the tree), as well as the left garage bay, which has a big workshop area at the back where I can park/wrench on the bikes! It also has a very private patio and yard, perfect for grilling and hanging out. The front house is inhabited by the landlord and his family. He seems like a really cool guy, and rides bikes as well.

I'm pretty excited! Now for the tough part of finding something work-wise in the area in order to afford all the bikes I want...

Last edited by SVenpointsixtwo; 07-22-10 at 11:59 AM.
    SVenpointsixtwo
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Nice, that looks awesome. And Saco is definitely in easy range of the Kanc.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

You won't be disappointed moving here. I have a friend who lives in Essex (a fellow NESR member), so I am familiar with the area. I currently live in downtown Portsmouth, and it kind of reminds me of Burlington. The only difference is when you go south you have Boston, and lots to do. We have good rides along the coast if you like an ocean view, and you will be a lot closer to the track! No T**** Rd or Gap though. Those I am sure you will miss. Portsmouth and Portland are great places to go drinking. Especially when you live downtown and can walk home :o)