Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Okay... need to bounce some ideas off you guys

Okay... need to bounce some ideas off you guys

Hey kids.

So I've got to admit, my recent Trans-Lab trip has me thinking really seriously about dual-sports. Not typical dual-sports -- I'm talking powerful ones. Or powerful enough to haul my 260lb ass along at highway speeds without feeling like the engine is straining, at least. And comfortable/smooth/fuel-efficient enough to do 500-600 mile days on without killing myself. My XR650L just does not succeed in this regard -- it's fine at lower speeds, but at 65-70 it's tapped out.

The obvious answer is a KTM 990 Adventure or, even better, the 950 Superenduro, but I can't afford a KTM -- in terms of both initial purchase cost and keeping it on the road (KTM maintenance costs and fuel costs, since these beasts only get around 35mpg).

On paper the BMW F800GS seems like it would be a great choice aside from its ridiculous price, but I've ridden one and didn't like it.

I'm curious to see if Triumph finally puts out that 675 "Tiger Cub" that's been rumored for some time (those rumors have heated up lately because the story now has it that Triumph will be announcing two new 675-engined bikes for 2010 at one of the upcoming motorcycle shows). And if so, if it's a proper dual-sport designed to compete with the F800GS, or another quasi-supermoto. I expect the latter because Triumph just doesn't seem to have any interest in the dual-sport market.

So basically, what I'm looking for is a bike that meets these requirements:
    - Decent offroad-capable suspension with travel of at least 6", preferably 8" or more.
    - Spoked wheels, preferably 21" front and 18" rear.
    - 60-75hp engine, preferably twin.
    - Under ~450lbs. Under 400 would be really nice.
    - Fuel efficiency of at least 50mpg for typical extended street riding.
    - Reasonably low maintenance -- I'll be putting a lot of miles on this bike.
    - Ability to mount luggage (ie, strong enough subframe to support it).
    - Reasonably priced.

Examples that come close:
    KTM 950 Superenduro (too expensive, too thirsty):

Honda Africa Twin (no longer made, and even when it was, it wasn't available in North America):

This converted SV650 (just about ideal, except that it's a one-off custom way beyond my ability to build):

So, all of this considered, here are a few basic options:
    - Build up my Honda XR650L with a full aftermarket exhaust, flat-slide carb, etc, which might gain me 5-10hp. Not a huge improvement, plus this bike's thirsty even in stock form, let alone fully uncorked. An air-cooled low-compression single is just never going to be very potent.
    - Sell the Honda and get a used Husqvarna TE610 or BMW G650 Xchallenge -- roughly the same weight as the XRL, but they make about 15 more horsepower and get much better gas mileage to boot. If I could sell the Honda for $3k, I'd probably have to add another $2k or so to pick up one of these, and then would likely have to add all the long-distance amenities I've already put on the Honda.
    - Build up the V-Strom with more offroad-oriented suspension and spoked wheels; and also remove all the unnecessary plastic shit weighing the Strom down. Basically turn it into a poor-man's Superenduro. XR650L forks will slide right into the stock triple trees, but the forks are further apart, so I'd have to have custom axle and spacers made. And I don't know what I'd do about a spoked rear wheel, let alone longer-travel rear suspension to match the front.

I like the last option a lot as the Strom's V-Twin lends itself so much better to long-distance touring, whether on pavement or off, but figuring out how to add longer-travel suspension and spoked wheels will be a lot of work. Also, this would make the Strom a less-capable road touring bike. I could just keep it stock except for improved suspension internals, but then it's not significantly better off pavement than it is now. Dirtbike-style forks and a 21" spoked front wheel definitely make a big difference when the road gets seriously potholed and washboarded.

The easiest turn-key solution is to sell the Honda and get the TE610 or Xchallenge, but I honestly don't know how much better they'd be to tour on than the Honda.

Also, the question I keep asking myself is how extensively I'm likely to get into dirt riding. At the moment I've got no interest in technical woods riding or that sort of thing -- one of the things I love most about riding a motorcycle is seeing the world around me, so riding in the woods doesn't appeal to me very much because it's a shitload of work and a whole lot of "Oh look, a tree. Oh look, another tree." I don't really expect this to change -- when I was really into snowboarding, I also never got interested in woods riding, no matter how much fresh powder could be found there.

What I'm really interested in is ripping through remote landscapes on dirt roads and (if they exist) trails -- which obviously means riding plenty of pavement to get there. So a bigger, more powerful bike definitely makes sense for me, up to a point. It's just really hard to decide whether I need to go as big (and overweight) as a converted Strom, or if a more powerful single would do the trick. There are definite advantages either way.

Hence my massive indecision.

So anyway, for those of you who've been patient enough to read this far, thanks -- and if you have any ideas/suggestions or alternatives to what I've thought of, I'd love to hear them!

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Re: Okay... need to bounce some ideas off you guys

R1100GS? It's above your weigh (by about 100lbs) but if my 66 year old, 200lb, 5'9" father can bomb up single track woods trails I bet you could too. He's crappy about maintenance and hasn't had a problem with either of his bikes in the 5 years that he's owned them. The red one (that you saw at bike night this summer) has been on the Trans - Lab trip before, and I think he's planning it again. He does a lot of double up touring locally with that bike and it's twin over in Europe. Both bikes have been dropped (low speed) a few times and besides a few scratches have come out unscathed.

I don't think he's put his bike up yet, so we could probably arrange a test ride if you haven't tried one out yet.

He bought both bikes about 5 years ago for about $9k each. I bet you could find them way cheaper now, especially at this time of year.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Have you thought of a Buell?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

What about an older triumph tiger (the 855)? It might be a little heavy but supposedly thry do well soft-roading. I have no personal experience with adventure riding but I'd say the gs1100 faired pretty well with the LWR guys!

Did we get the honda transalp in the US? Seems similar to the africa twin, not sure how good they are offroad though.

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Oops, double post.... stupid iphone.

Last edited by SVenpointsixtwo; 10-21-09 at 01:57 PM.
    SVenpointsixtwo
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

R1100GS: Possibility -- I've also given some vague thought to an R100GS Paris-Dakar -- but finding an older Beemer like these that doesn't have a ton of mileage on it is not easy. Also, significantly heavier than I'd like, plus I'm not a huge fan of that funky front suspension BMW insists on using (this is another advantage the R100GS-PD would have -- it's got regular front suspension).

Buell: They don't make anything suitable. The Ulysses is too road-oriented -- cast 17" wheels front and rear in sportbike widths, and no one makes dual-sport tires to fit. Plus Buell is now defunct.

Triumph Tiger 885 (aka Steamer): One of these would be a definite possibility, if I could find a good example. A little heavier than I'd like, but power is good and I've heard they have pretty decent suspension. And they have spoked wheels. Not sure how they do on gas mileage though. An '04 or earlier Tiger 955i (aka Girlie) would be a possibility too. Again, the trouble (aside from their general porkiness) is finding a good low-mileage used one at a reasonable price.

Honda Transalp: They only imported them here in the late '80s. Don't really want such an old bike for long-distance touring. Plus it's underpowered for its size/weight.

Part of my problem is that I'm having a tough time rationalizing looking for one of these bikes when I have a perfectly good V-Strom sitting in my driveway -- which is probably the biggest reason I'm thinking so seriously of just putting good suspension on the Strom, and spoked wheels if I can figure out how. With those upgrades it would be every bit as capable off pavement as any of the above -- and probably a little lighter than any of them as well.

And of course, the other option is always to replace the Honda with something more potent. It's a shame it would be so hard to shoehorn an SV650 engine into it.

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 10-21-09 at 01:28 PM.
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Just Registered

Sounds like in reality you're doing 70% street 30% dirt?

R1200GS or 990A problem solved.

Not sure what your bank account looks like though, plenty of used versions of the aforementioned. I've done suitable amounts of both (2up) on an R1200gs, ridden the full puppy dog route (and some offshoots that were not really big bike friendly in the least) as well as ridden it to michigan in ~12 hours.

You and I are similar in size and if I was going solo I would leave the suspension alone, but 2up with luggage forced my hand and I put on elka's. Other than that, some crashbars and a few electrical mods and you're rocking. I love the GS offroad, you just have to get used to it a bit. Once you accept it isn't a YZ450 you'll be fine

Price? you can get a good shape well farkeled 07 for 10k on advrider...

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Quote Originally Posted by ssg View Post
    R1200GS or 990A problem solved.

Not sure what your bank account looks like though...

Price? you can get a good shape well farkeled 07 for 10k on advrider...
    Reread original post. Newer BMWs and KTMs are too expensive, even used -- not just in initial cost but in maintenance and fuel. If it weren't for these factors I'd sell both my V-Strom and my Honda and buy a 950 Superenduro.

Also, I won't buy a newer BMW because they're so damn computerized now that they're impossible to work on yourself beyond an oil change. Even bleeding the brakes has to be done by a dealer because of the stupid ABS system. I refuse to pay BMW dealers extravagant rates to do work I could easily do myself if the bike weren't so riddled with electronics. Yes, I'm cheap... I ride a V-Strom, for fuck's sake!

(For the record, my bank account looks pretty meager. I need to do all of this stuff on a pretty tight budget.)

--mark

R80GS? Damn near the same weight as an F650GS, more HP and suspension travel, and definitely touring-capable.

(And yes, it will probably have higher mileage than a newer bike--but with maintenance, I'm pretty sure they'll run damn near forever).

Ducati Multistrada?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Just Registered

I did read the original post, I'm just telling you the truth

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Honestly, if money is that big of an issue, I would say use the strom as a base and add beefier off-road parts. It would be wayyy cheaper than buying another bike, and they are a great base for a decently powerful, capable adventure bike.

I would say drop the XR650 forks into it, along with the stock front wheel. Getting a custom axle and spacers turned should be no biggie, and ought to be fairly cheap at any decent machine shop. I'm sure you can find a spoked rear that would work with some spacers, or find a hub that will accept the strom cush drive and lace up a custom rim.

Don't forget to ditch those plastics!

I'm really bummed we don't get this in the US though:

I wonder how hard it would be to grey-market import one?

Last edited by SVenpointsixtwo; 10-21-09 at 02:31 PM.
    SVenpointsixtwo
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick
    R80GS?
    Yeah, might be a possibility along with the R100GS.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc
    Ducati Multistrada?
    You keep suggesting bikes that use sportbike tires.

Quote Originally Posted by ssg
    I did read the original post, I'm just telling you the truth
    Sadly my wallet can't support the truth. I have to make do with non-European stuff, with the possible exception of Triumph.

Quote Originally Posted by SVenpointsixtwo View Post
    Honestly, if money is that big of an issue, I would say use the strom as a base and add beefier off-road parts. It would be wayyy cheaper than buying another bike, and they are a great base for a decently powerful, capable adventure bike.
    Yeah, that's what I'm leaning towards. Way more cost-effective.

I guess the real question isn't what I should replace the V-Strom with, but whether it makes more sense to build up the Strom or replace the Honda with a more powerful single-cylinder DS bike.

I'm really bummed we don't get this in the US though:

I wonder how hard it would be to grey-market import one?
    It would be hard. I'd have to buy one from Europe and have it shipped over, and even then it would be a major pain to make it able to be registered since that requires replacing lights, speedo, etc with DOT versions, which don't exist for that bike. And honestly, cool as that bike is, it wouldn't be worth it -- it's wicked heavy. Heavier than a KLR, and almost as heavy as my V-Strom. For comparison's sake, the BMW Xchallenge or Husky TE610 make about the same power but weigh over 100lbs less.

But speaking of the Yamaha 660 engine... an MZ Baghira uses that same engine, it was imported to the US for a few years (as a supermotard), and would make a pretty easy DS conversion since all it would really need is a 21" rim laced to the stock front hub. Don't know, though, how good its suspension is.

--mark

I think the obvious choice here is soup the strom. If you steal parts from the xr, make it more of a commuterd like what's-his-names dr. Now you have 2 dope little scoots.

whats wrong with just running the westrom?

have you been on a 950 Superenduro? i thought i wanted one until i rode one, to me it felt heavy and underpowered.

i'm using a super duke for this kind of stuff when i'm not on the gsa and think i'm going to get rid of the super duke and get a 990 adv

get a 955 tiger or a 1k v strom it's going to give you the most bang for the buck.

i dont think you could find a better all around bike than a tiger.

jim

"Molon labe"

Lifer

vstrom 1100 ????

if I missed the reasons why this doesn't , ignore!

I'm the guy on Advrider thats jonesin' for Triumph to bring out a 675 Tiger. Right now I'm doing what you want to do on a highly modified 1991 KLR 650. It's quite capable for riding the type of stuff you're talking about, but it is underpowered when compared against the KTM, BMW etc. However it is right in your budget range, has everything you can think of available to modify it (cheap enough that I keep one set of 21/17 knobbies mounted on wheels and run a set of 17/17 Supermo wheels on the road) , AND you wouldn't have to tear up your new V-Strom!!!
    However......if Triumph DOES introduce a nice DS capable 675 Tiger I'll be first in line at Frank's to take one home!!!

Quote Originally Posted by BikerDave View Post
    However......if Triumph DOES introduce a nice DS capable 675 Tiger I'll be first in line at Frank's to take one home!!!
    You'll have to fight me for it.

As for the KLR... it would be pretty close to ideal if it made another 10hp. As it is, though, it's too underpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM
    vstrom 1100 ????

if I missed the reasons why this doesn't , ignore!
    I already have a V-Strom 650. I'm satisfied with its power, just not thrilled with its suspension or cast wheels.

I'm pretty certain that the only thing I'd replace the Wee-Strom with is a DS-capable 675 Tiger if Triumph actually builds such a beast. So really the question just comes down to whether I invest a couple grand or so in upgrading the Wee-Strom with good suspension and spoked wheels, or in replacing the Honda with a significantly more powerful single-cylinder DS bike.

I guess I won't do anything until Triumph announces their new 2010 models.

--mark

Just Registered

It sort of brings a new question into play...do you want a first year of any manufacturer in the woods far from home?

www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Quote Originally Posted by ssg View Post
    It sort of brings a new question into play...do you want a first year of any manufacturer in the woods far from home?
    That's a good point, but since a 675 Tiger Cub would be an evolutionary model (basically a Street Triple with different suspension and wheels... and the Street Triple is itself just an evolution of the Daytona 675), I don't think it truly counts as a first-year model. Unless they do something stupid like make it shaft-drive, in which case I'd probably just cross it right back off my list.

--mark

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    "We are estimating the MSRP would be $68,000 with a lead time of about 12 months."

Reading comprehension > you.

Riding slow bikes slower. Wanderer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Also, I won't buy a newer BMW because they're so damn computerized now that they're impossible to work on yourself beyond an oil change. Even bleeding the brakes has to be done by a dealer because of the stupid ABS system. I refuse to pay BMW dealers extravagant rates to do work I could easily do myself if the bike weren't so riddled with electronics. Yes, I'm cheap... I ride a V-Strom, for fuck's sake!

--mark
    While I totally understand the rest of your points - this is just a fallacy.
    My R bikes - both past and present (1100, 1150, 1200) have rarely ever seen the dealership for maintenance - there's very little if anything you cannot do with a few tools. Even the feared CANbus really is not that bad

Granted - I dont have the ABS braking system on mine, but I've read accounts and howtos of many that have, and it seems fairly simple once you get equipped

Quote Originally Posted by gregp View Post
    Yeah, that's a cool bike, but $68k? That's just beyond ridiculous. If I had even a sixth of that money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd just track down the dude who built that custom SV650 dual-sport shown above and talk him into selling it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanderer
    I've read accounts and howtos of many that have, and it seems fairly simple once you get equipped
    Meanwhile, I can do pretty much any work I need to on my V-Strom, my Triumph, my Honda, and most other bikes with the regular non-BMW tools I already own.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Yeah, that's a cool bike, but $68k? That's just beyond ridiculous. If I had even a sixth of that money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd just track down the dude who built that custom SV650 dual-sport shown above and talk him into selling it to me.

Meanwhile, I can do pretty much any work I need to on my V-Strom, my Triumph, my Honda, and most other bikes with the regular non-BMW tools I already own.

--mark
    the custom sv would be easiest made from your own vstrom. I'm not seeing the real need for spoke wheels and dedicated dirt tires when you just wanna hit some fireroads along the way, sounds like you already have the right bike, you just wanna do a little more dirt sometimes. I think it would cost a whole lot of money to get a whole new bike when you could just walk that trail for a little bit if you wanna see whats on it......

theres just something about a blue bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast