Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Parker Crashed.

Re: Parker Crashed.

Hey guys, I have 2 important updates and need some advice please.

First: I have gotten in touch with her (casey's) insurence company. Casey stated 2 things that I have recently stumbled across. That she came to a complete stop, looked around and didn't see anyone so she proced to drive forward. However she aslo stated thatshe thought that I had a stop sign!

So did she see me and think that I was stopping or did she just not stop/see me? I plan on asking the insurence company to explain the validity of her satements.

Second: I went to cyclewise this morning. They have a SV650s brand new marked down to 6500 from 8000. Also my credit was approved for finacing..... is this something that I should jump on? I will be able to afford the monthly bike payments of 150ish for $0 down. And then my plan is to take most of the settlement and pay off part of the principal.

Thoughts?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

Another option: Roadside has a relatively new (2009/2010) Kawi 650R with VERY low mileage (I think 1,200) for just under $5000. It's Kawi green and looks mint.
    Roadside also has a red Yamaha FZ6 with 12,000 miles for just under $4000.

It's winter, shop around. When I rode the SV650 I wasn't impressed with it's comfort. Try sit testing some other bikes, remember you ride your bike A LOT

Last edited by Baggey22; 12-15-10 at 04:12 PM.
    2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

I wouldn't worry about the he said she said crap. The cop says she was a fault. That is all you need to worry about.

I wouldn't buy from a dealer. Look on craigslist. You can get SCREAMING deals this time of year, finance through a bank.

Also remember my friend Hobbs... Oh wait you want a comfy bike...http://www.hobbsautomotive.net/catal...ml?catId=60616

There is a 2007 FZ6 on Craigslit for 5K
    "'07 FZ6, 4700 miles. Runs like a beast, gets about 100 HP at the wheel and about 40-45 MPG. Fuel injection, clock, dual trip meters.
    $5000 or best offer. South Burlington, call or email to look at it, I'm around during the day.

802-373-0894"

Offer $4000

Last edited by Doc; 12-15-10 at 04:45 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Baggey22 View Post
    Try sit testing some other bikes, remember you ride your bike A LOT
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by AHAMAYs2 View Post
    First: I have gotten in touch with her (casey's) insurence company. Casey stated 2 things that I have recently stumbled across. That she came to a complete stop, looked around and didn't see anyone so she proced to drive forward. However she aslo stated thatshe thought that I had a stop sign!

So did she see me and think that I was stopping or did she just not stop/see me? I plan on asking the insurence company to explain the validity of her satements.
    Don't discuss that with her insurance. She was at fault; it doesn't matter what she says. If anything, she's making her own case worse -- by saying she didn't see you or that she thought you had a stop sign, she's just proving that she wasn't paying attention.

Second: I went to cyclewise this morning. They have a SV650s brand new marked down to 6500 from 8000. Also my credit was approved for finacing..... is this something that I should jump on? I will be able to afford the monthly bike payments of 150ish for $0 down. And then my plan is to take most of the settlement and pay off part of the principal.
    No need to jump on it -- it's not like they've got potential buyers lined up around the block. Take a look at the Kawi Adam mentioned and see which you like better.

That said, I disagree with Doc about buying private-sale only. It's true that you can get some great deals that way, but then again, it's also awfully nice to get a brand-new bike with a warranty and a dealer who will stand behind it.

If you do decide that you want the SV, I expect Cyclewise would let you put down a deposit to hold the bike, then complete the actual sale in the spring. By then you should have a check from the insurance, so you could put all that money down and finance a much smaller amount.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Also if you buy a bike now, you can't ride it and you have to figure out how to store it. Yes Keith's shed is available, but you'd need someone with a truck and/or trailer to pick it up and then you'd have to push it through the snow to get it into the shed.

damn kids these days being so impatient

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

It sounds like you've got a solid case but I'd agree with Mark about contacting her insurance company. If the officer said that she was at fault the only thing you should be talking to them about is how soon they'll cut you a check.

It's going to be a long winter. I wouldn't leap on the first deal that you see. There are going to be a lot of bikes for sale (private and public) and more than likely some good deals to be had. Watch ebay and Craigslist and contact some area (New England) dealers if you're interested in a new bike. Patience...

The FZ6 is a really comfortable bike. I've ridden mine down to the Jersey Shore before and I wouldn't hesitate to take it down there again. The newer generation (07+) are even better than mine. A bit less jerky on the throttle and a more adjustable suspension.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Cool beans. Thanks for the advice guys. I will let the insurence play out and see where it goes. Asfor the motorcycle...

I'm not looking to get a new bike persay, but I do want to get abike with under 5K miles. I figgure I will have it for a few years...
    I would prefer to buy a bike this time from a dealership. I know I may be able to get a slightly better deal on craigslist, but I don't get the guarentee that I want. I'll head over to roadside on Friday and see there stock. Thanks adam

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

When talking USED Bikes, which is what I think Parker should be looking for.

Bike from a dealer = More expensive.

Private Sale = Cheaper

Sure a new bike has a warranty but I think Parker needs to concentrate on getting a used/ cheaper bike.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I'd take a serious look at the 650 at Roadside.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Sure a new bike has a warranty but I think Parker needs to concentrate on getting a used/ cheaper bike.
    Why? If he can afford a new bike, why not buy one and start with a brand-new machine that he can break in himself and have a warranty on?

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

There are clearly two schools of thought on this.

Parker just needs to figure out if he wants to pay a premium for piece of mind, or save the premium and take a risk.

He's a smart kid, he'll figure it out.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    He's a smart kid, he'll figure it out.

Exactly. Parker is now in the position of having plenty of options open to him, and he may as well explore them all and decide for himself what the best choice would be.

For the record, I'm not suggesting that Parker absolutely should buy the SV, just that it's as good an option as anything else and shouldn't be eliminated just because it's a bit more expensive by virtue of being brand-new.

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 12-16-10 at 08:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Why? If he can afford a new bike, why not buy one and start with a brand-new machine that he can break in himself and have a warranty on?

--mark
    Because I don't think he can afford it right now. I may be wrong but he has a new job, is living with his brothers, had a recent break up, does not know how much he is going to get for the Seca...

I feel the smarter advice is to buy used. The piece of mind argument is not that strong. I have never bought a brand new bike any bike I have bought as a daily driver was 1. Signifigantly cheaper than new and 2. Had no mechanincal issues.

I am not saying this is the only way to go but in this case I think it is the smarter way to go.

Last edited by Doc; 12-16-10 at 09:33 AM.
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Because I don't think he can afford it right now.
    That's Parker's business alone, not yours or mine. If he thinks he can afford it, who are we to tell him he can't?

And let's be honest... $150 a month is not hard to afford. A lot of people's cell phone bills are higher than that.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    That's Parker's business alone, not yours or mine. If he thinks he can afford it, who are we to tell him he can't?

And let's be honest... $150 a month is not hard to afford. A lot of people's cell phone bills are higher than that.

--mark

I could also argue that it is not our business to offer advice without knowing his situation. Who are we to tell him he CAN afford it?

Let's just agree to disagree then Mark.

Last edited by Doc; 12-16-10 at 10:02 AM.
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I could also argue that it is not our business to offer advice without knowing his situation. Who are we to tell him he CAN afford it?

Ahem...

Quote Originally Posted by AHAMAYs2
    I will be able to afford the monthly bike payments of 150ish
    If Parker says he can afford it, then I'm not going to second-guess him. His finances are his business, and we should not put him in the position of feeling like he needs to justify to us why he actually can afford whatever decision he makes. We are not his parents.

--mark

Again I disagree.

Sorry Mark. I am not one to give advice that I do not think is sound. His finances are his business and he asked for advice. It IS up to Parker but MY advice is to buy used. He has better things to spend his money on.

Last edited by Doc; 12-16-10 at 11:11 AM.
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

You guys are still talking about this?

Not talking... Having a debate on the internet...

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post
    You guys are still talking about this?
    I've stopped.

--mark

Just saw the thread. Parker, heal up fast, but make sure that you are fully healed before you go for a settlement check, if at all possible. Pain and suffering / loss of time / movement etc are legit claims, and you should make sure you don't get screwed there. My advice would be to talk to a lawyer if at all reasonable—if you know one who can offer advice without charging, all the better, but when I got rear-ended (in a car, thankfully, as the same crash on a bike would've been a lot worse...the Jetta got turned into Golf, more or less) I ended up settling for only $500 in P&S but later found out that I probably could have ended up with a lot more. Medical expenses count, too, including bottles of Advil, etc--keep the receipts, talk to someone who actually knows the law.

Word on the street is that he just put a deposit on a green Kawi Ninja 650R

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Like this?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    Word on the street is that he just put a deposit on a green Kawi Ninja 650R
    Nice! Although it's too bad that it's green.......

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast