Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Parker Crashed.

Re: Parker Crashed.

It's an early '90s Seca 2. They'd total it even if the only damage was a few scratches on the fairing. The bike isn't worth enough to bother fixing.

You could probably buy it back cheap and fix it yourself, but I agree with everyone else that the most sensible thing to do at this point would be to take the insurance money and whatever (if any) settlement they pay you and buy a new bike. Pick up a second-gen SV650 or something.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Hey Asshat! Where are the pictures!?!?

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

Quote Originally Posted by Baggey22 View Post
    Hey Asshat! Where are the pictures!?!?
    His name is Assface

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Last edited by Doc; 12-06-10 at 10:50 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Parker, don't listen to Doc! Both of those are trash.

Hold out for something that's less than 20 years old.

Doc, those bikes suck worse than you do

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post

Agreed completely. You should be able to find a good used SV650 for under $3500. You'll have insurance money, and you have a fulltime job. You can afford to step up to a newer bike.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Baggey22 View Post
    Doc, those bikes suck worse than you do
    Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Agreed completely. You should be able to find a good used SV650 for under $3500. You'll have insurance money, and you have a fulltime job. You can afford to step up to a newer bike.

--mark

Justin, They may be trash (and tounge in cheek I might add) but they are what he can afford.

Adam, At least my bikes don't suck.

Mark, See comment to Justin. As you have said, he won't have that much insurance money, and who knows what will happen with his job. I think anything over $2000 is going to be a bad decision and I think the smart thing to do right now would be to get a car.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Justin, They may be trash (and tounge in cheek I might add) but they are what he can afford.

Mark, See comment to Justin. As you have said, he won't have that much insurance money, and who knows what will happen with his job. I think anything over $2000 is going to be a bad decision and I think the smart thing to do right now would be to get a car.
    And I think it would be a poor decision to get another 20 year old bike just because it is cheap. You're right though, a car should be priority #1, then save for a bike in the spring.

Adams bikes don't suck either...

'90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    Adams bikes don't suck either...
    Was I implying they did?

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Did you really just go there?

I think anything over $2000 is going to be a bad decision and I think the smart thing to do right now would be to get a car.
    Oh, he doesn't have a car?

In that case, I will unfortunately have to agree with Doc. Get a beater car for the winter and save for a motorcycle that you'll buy in the spring.

Was I implying they did?
    Well that's one way of interpreting what you said.

at least MY bikes don't suck (since it was addressed to Adam that would imply you thought HIS bikes do suck)

at least my BIKES don't suck (this just means Doc sucks but his bikes don't)

We wouldn't really know if your bikes don't suck, you hardly ever ride them

'90 Yamaha XT350

Well that's one way of interpreting what you said.

at least MY bikes don't suck (since it was addressed to Adam that would imply you thought HIS bikes do suck)

at least my BIKES don't suck (this just means Doc sucks but his bikes don't)

We wouldn't really know if your bikes don't suck, you hardly ever ride them
    I meant the second one.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Pictures:

Me in the hostpital

And now my bike:

------------

Okay, as for what i am doing with the settlement or getting a truck or a bike, i still don't know yet.
    Here are that facts i am considering:
    1) I have a fantastic job that i hope to keep for at least 3 years.
    2) I am living with my brothers where they have thier own car but only have 1 parking space available to them in the winter.
    3) The likely hood that they will total my bike is very high, but the overall value of my bike is not all that impressive.
    4) By the time i actually get the settlement check it could be 3 months or so from now and the snow will start going away and i will be able ride shortly after that.
    5) If i can make it through this winter without a car, i believe i would want to get a bike in the spring and worry about a car next fall. (that way i will have been at my job for about a year, i'll have money saved up, and i will be hopefully able to afford something better than a POS truck)

All in all, i just have to wait and see. When i talked to the cop, he said that is was straght forward, i had right of way and she is at fault. So i have to hope it all works out through her insurence.

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

If it takes 3 months to get you a check then something is wrong. I got my check like a week after I finally filed the claim on the SV. If they stall you need to become such a giant pain in their ass that they will cut you a check just to shut you up.

'90 Yamaha XT350

well i really hope that it doesn't take 3 months either, but i just don't know how it will all play out. also my bike only needs about 300 (tops) to fix 'er up and make her ridable again. I think regardless of what i do for a new bike i'll fix the minor damage and see if i can get around 750 for her. i know that there are people out there, especially when spring rolls around) that will be looking for a cheep bike that runs...and that's all she is at this point. I'm still not dead set on doing that though, but it would be nice to trya and salvage a little bit more money out of all of it....

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

Parker will I see you at bike night tonight?? I'll be there from ~5:30 - 6:30 or so. I may be able to stay later, but the little lady may need a ride home. We all have much to discuss. Can't wait to see you guys tonight!

sandy

---------------------------------------------------
    - Nothing Witty -

2002 Ducati 998 (sold)
    2006 Xtreme Pro Stock 125cc (sold to JBell)
    2000 Ducati 748 track (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by AHAMAYs2 View Post
    well i really hope that it doesn't take 3 months either, but i just don't know how it will all play out. also my bike only needs about 300 (tops) to fix 'er up and make her ridable again. I think regardless of what i do for a new bike i'll fix the minor damage and see if i can get around 750 for her. i know that there are people out there, especially when spring rolls around) that will be looking for a cheep bike that runs...and that's all she is at this point. I'm still not dead set on doing that though, but it would be nice to trya and salvage a little bit more money out of all of it....
    The buy back might be as high as $500 or $600 though, which means it almost certainly won't be worth it. You could try parting it out, but I can't imagine Seca II parts are in high demand.

'90 Yamaha XT350

Frame scuffed up + gas tank dent = totalled. I hope things go well for you Parker.

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by AHAMAYs2 View Post
    Okay, as for what i am doing with the settlement or getting a truck or a bike, i still don't know yet.
    Here are that facts i am considering:
    1) I have a fantastic job that i hope to keep for at least 3 years.
    2) I am living with my brothers where they have thier own car but only have 1 parking space available to them in the winter.
    3) The likely hood that they will total my bike is very high, but the overall value of my bike is not all that impressive.
    4) By the time i actually get the settlement check it could be 3 months or so from now and the snow will start going away and i will be able ride shortly after that.
    5) If i can make it through this winter without a car, i believe i would want to get a bike in the spring and worry about a car next fall. (that way i will have been at my job for about a year, i'll have money saved up, and i will be hopefully able to afford something better than a POS truck)
    All good things to consider.

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N
    If it takes 3 months to get you a check then something is wrong. I got my check like a week after I finally filed the claim on the SV. If they stall you need to become such a giant pain in their ass that they will cut you a check just to shut you up.
    You got your check quickly because it was a very straightforward case. Parker was injured enough to get an ambulance ride to the hospital. The insurance will not just be paying for his bike, but also his medical bills and probably a settlement to keep him from suing for pain/suffering/whatever.

It's possible that the process will go quickly, but not very likely. Also, trying to speed things along is not necessarily the right move. For example, accepting the first amount they offer would probably be wrong, as chances are it'll be a lowball offer.

--mark

The buy back might be as high as $500 or $600 though, which means it almost certainly won't be worth it. You could try parting it out, but I can't imagine Seca II parts are in high demand.
    It's likely that the insurance company will give you more for it than you'd be able to get selling it privately. Better to just cut your losses and take the check rather than buy it back. Unless it's like 100 bucks, then you might make a profit on fixing it and selling.

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    You got your check quickly because it was a very straightforward case. Parker was injured enough to get an ambulance ride to the hospital. The insurance will not just be paying for his bike, but also his medical bills and probably a settlement to keep him from suing for pain/suffering/whatever.

It's possible that the process will go quickly, but not very likely. Also, trying to speed things along is not necessarily the right move. For example, accepting the first amount they offer would probably be wrong, as chances are it'll be a lowball offer.

--mark
    I definitely didn't mean for him to take the first offer, but rather to push them towards a resolution to his case that he is happy with. I know it won't take a week, but staying on top of them to reach a deal that he is happy with wouldn't hurt either.

'90 Yamaha XT350

I was saying Doc sucks (that's a given), and I read Doc's comment as "I may suck, but my bikes do not" which is good. Because if his bikes sucked as much as he did. . . . well that would . . . . suck?

I definitely didn't mean for him to take the first offer, but rather to push them towards a resolution to his case that he is happy with. I know it won't take a week, but staying on top of them to reach a deal that he is happy with wouldn't hurt either.
    Agreed. It'll definitely take a little time though. It can easily take a month just for the medical bills to start arriving -- I'm still dealing with that process now, three months after my crash.

--mark

Parker, you know the rules. If you need anything feel free to ask. Shop space, a ride for you or your bike (the Seca or another one), etc.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast