Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do we really four whole parking spaces for Bike Night at Donny's ? (Just an FYI)

Re: Do we really four whole parking spaces for Bike Night at Donny's ? (Just an FYI)

Why do you guys even listen to this one person? If it were a crowd of people complaining, then I could understand, but one grumpy lady? If all your ducks are in a row, forget her. She's no threat.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Re: Do we really four whole parking spaces for Bike Night at Donny's ? (Just an FYI)

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Why do you guys even listen to this one person? If it were a crowd of people complaining, then I could understand, but one grumpy lady? If all your ducks are in a row, forget her. She's no threat.
    Because the DILLIGAF attitude is not neighborly

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Because we want to be a positive presence in the community, and one vocally upset neighbor will lead to many vocally upset neighbors and eventually a loss of our permits. Instead, we try to deal with problems as they arise instead of waiting until they are really a problem (with the authorities). She had an issue before and by being proactive about reaching out to her the issue was resolved with little drama. We want to keep as many community interactions on the positive end of things as possible.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

It sounds to me like you're never going to appease her, no matter how much reaching out you do. She seems to make a habit of finding things to complain about by targeting you guys.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

It sounds to me like you're never going to appease her, no matter how much reaching out you do. She seems to make a habit of finding things to complain about by targeting you guys.
    Complaining twice, a year apart = habit? Maybe she won't be appeased, but that does not mean you don't bother to try.

The whole point of establishing communication like this is so that any time there is a complaint it will hopefully come to US before it goes to the authorities. She can complain to the police or she can complain to us. If we shut our ears to her, we don't leave her many options.

'90 Yamaha XT350

Something wrong, officer? Huffer's Avatar

One night a week for a couple hours. Thats a problem? Really? Being a good neighbor goes both ways. She needs to be told that nicely, calmly, in an adult manner. I'll leave that to someone else because personally I'd say "get a boyfriend or some fresh batteries, your tense lady".

2020 Kawasaki Ninja 400
    2019 Ducati Monster 821
    2019 Triumph Bobber 1200
    2016 WR450F - Everywhere else ;-)

you people are all too nice. tell her you have a permit and to FUCK OFF

Bet the owner of the pizza place knows exactly who she is?

This would be so much more entertaining in Southie or the North End....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder View Post
    Someone should go knock on her door and offer to explain things....buy her a slice and a beverage or something. Show her what's going on, explain things and mention said permit, instead of calling her unreasonable or a bitch. Has anyone even tried to reason with her, in person instead of over twitter?

Didn't think so. In person will go a whole lot further with someone. It might save a phone call or two to the city or PD. etc.
    Hey Slyder -

Actually, I met her in person last year in person at a social media/twitter event in Burlington about a weeks after her complaint last year regarding parking on the sidewalk. She was not receptive to a real-time, in-person discussion. She was not hostile, but just didn't want to directly discuss the issue which could erode the validity of her concern. (yes, I did ride to the event and was ATTGATT but I wearing my usual nerdy-preppy-button-down shirt and loafers while attending the event. So I didn't look very intimidating ...as if I ever could ) I directly invited her to speak to me or any other participants (Mark, Adam, Brent, etc...) at Bike Night if she has an issue since she lives around the corner. She has yet to accept the invitation.

Again, she has a complaint and vented to me about it. If our permit is in order and we handle parking on the sidewalk along with proper efficient use of the parking spaces, that issue will take care of itself. Honestly, I feel that BN handles the logistics of the number of attending bikes quite well. If we can keep the noise (over-revving) to near zero, we should be fine. We have to remember that we are fighting stereotypes of "bikers" as well.

Anyway ... better to not provoke or inflame the emotions around "Parking" In my experience, there is more passion and intense emotion around parking than politics or religion. Rational arguments and reason have their place, sometimes it is better to let things cool down first.

Again... brought up the issue for our awareness. In short, I think we handle the parking pretty well.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Bet the owner of the pizza place knows exactly who she is?

This would be so much more entertaining in Southie or the North End....
    In doubt, it would very interesting to watch this play in Southie or the North End ... where double parking is a martial art. (I lived off Salem Street in the North End for a summer...holy sh** ... talk about the Parking Spot Wars)

That would definitely be pay-per-view worthy .. but less than a minute long.

If you happen to receive another complaint im sure i could find a few buddies to Go up during bike night and just happen to take our legal one spot per bike. (i know this is just throwing gas on the fire... But i thought we were all pyros here at NESR) haha

Black/Green 09 600RR (street)
    03 600rr (Track)

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Anyone here ever had to do an emergency figure "8"?
    Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    Yah, I was being chased by bee. He was too quick to lose on the first u-turn, but I ditched him on the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkilm View Post
    If you happen to receive another complaint im sure i could find a few buddies to Go up during bike night and just happen to take our legal one spot per bike. (i know this is just throwing gas on the fire... But i thought we were all pyros here at NESR) haha
    We have enough bikes on a good night to fill up every parking spot in the immediate vicinity. It would be hilarious to see the whole area with only 1 bike per spot! I bet she would be happy to see the cones after that.

For those that aren't familiar with the area, the town we have Bike Night in is literally 1.5 square miles big, so we aren't talking about a large downtown area.

Last edited by NobodySpecific; 07-13-12 at 03:27 PM.
    '90 Yamaha XT350

This lady sucks. Sounds like a classic internet keyboard commando.

Wants to bitch to bitch. Fuck her, sometimes diplomacy is all well and good. Sometimes you need a big stick.

Keep trying to placate her and now run the risk of ruining the event for yourself because you have to deal with her bullshit all the time. She doesn't want a solution, she wants attention.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by e30addict; 07-13-12 at 03:18 PM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    This lady sucks. Sounds like a classic internet keyboard commando.

Wants to bitch to bitch. Fuck her, sometimes diplomacy is all well and good. Sometimes you need a big stick.

Keep trying to placate her and now run the risk of ruining the event for yourself because you have to deal with her bullshit all the time. She doesn't want a solution, she wants attention.
    Well said.

e30 said it well.

I shouldn't have jumped conclusions about having a face to face or sit down with her...that was my bad. I realize there are people like her around, had one as a neighbor for a long time, but I was hoping she'd come around with some explanation...guess that wasn't the case as you tried.

Do what ya do, try to keep the kiddies off the rev-limiters and don't block doors, at least if the PD / city do show up you can all stand there and point out that A, B and C are all in order and that you're doing nothing wrong.

First, let's cut out the ad-hominum attacks and name-calling, especially on a public forum, eh? As far as I can tell, none of her complaints have been anything but factual and polite. She may not be right, based on the permit and that implied support from the city, but based on what she's accomplished online in other venues, she is a reasonable and intelligent human being. And yes, she has complained in a public forum vis-a-vis Twitter, but that's the way she (and many other people) uses Twitter—they post about their daily lives, as well as posting about bigger issues.

I've seen parking situations both ways at Donny's—if few enough bikes show up that they can all fit on the sidewalk and there are two or three bikes taking up four coned-off spaces, we look like asshats...because we are using more limited resources than we need. I've also seen cars in the spots for which we have the permit resulting in bikes parked illegally because the legal sidewalk spaces are full. And yes, I realize the latter is more likely than the former mid-season with good weather.

Throwing it out there—could Parker or whomever else is there at 5:15 make a call based on weather (which seems to be the greatest impact) as to how many spaces to cone, and if it seems like it might be a lighter night, only cone one space at a time, then not cone another until there are four (or more) bikes in the first space? And then maybe be a little more aggressive in un-coning spaces as people ride off at 7:00 or 7:15?

We (by which I mean "you", given the rate I've managed to make it up there recently) will do a lot better in keeping the event if we can be better neighbors than we have to be, rather than just saying "tough, the permit says we can take all spaces." Plus, then we won't have to go crawling under cars to recover cones.

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    First, let's cut out the ad-hominum attacks and name-calling, especially on a public forum, eh? As far as I can tell, none of her complaints have been anything but factual and polite. She may not be right, based on the permit and that implied support from the city, but based on what she's accomplished online in other venues, she is a reasonable and intelligent human being. And yes, she has complained in a public forum vis-a-vis Twitter, but that's the way she (and many other people) uses Twitter—they post about their daily lives, as well as posting about bigger issues.

I've seen parking situations both ways at Donny's—if few enough bikes show up that they can all fit on the sidewalk and there are two or three bikes taking up four coned-off spaces, we look like asshats...because we are using more limited resources than we need. I've also seen cars in the spots for which we have the permit resulting in bikes parked illegally because the legal sidewalk spaces are full. And yes, I realize the latter is more likely than the former mid-season with good weather.

Throwing it out there—could Parker or whomever else is there at 5:15 make a call based on weather (which seems to be the greatest impact) as to how many spaces to cone, and if it seems like it might be a lighter night, only cone one space at a time, then not cone another until there are four (or more) bikes in the first space? And then maybe be a little more aggressive in un-coning spaces as people ride off at 7:00 or 7:15?

We (by which I mean "you", given the rate I've managed to make it up there recently) will do a lot better in keeping the event if we can be better neighbors than we have to be, rather than just saying "tough, the permit says we can take all spaces." Plus, then we won't have to go crawling under cars to recover cones.

great idea buzz killington!

Black/Green 09 600RR (street)
    03 600rr (Track)

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Anyone here ever had to do an emergency figure "8"?
    Quote Originally Posted by KawiSmurf View Post
    Yah, I was being chased by bee. He was too quick to lose on the first u-turn, but I ditched him on the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    That's exactly what we do, and did the evening in question. Yes, Adam coned off a number of spots when he got there... and they quicky all filled up with bikes. Several per space in fact. And then when people started leaving, we removed the cones. If the weather sucks, of course we don't cone off spots.

I think the biggest issue that people here have had with the complainer is that she doesn't have the guts to complain in person, only from behind her Twitter account. If she really has a problem, she should come talk to us and we'll do everything we can to address her concerns. If she can't bring it upon herself to show that little bit of respect for us, then I can't bring myself to feel a lot of respect for her.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Goodbye wife, hello bike! Father Ribs's Avatar

I can certainly sympathise with how much easier it is to complain when the person you're complaining about isn't face to face. Especially if they are 20-40+ people who are hanging around in front of your house dressed in armor and by virtue of their pasttime are already less than risk adverse.
    Seems like a lot of talking over what is a minor issue. Some folks are just born to complain.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12