Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

A Question from a Garage-Challenged Rider...

A Question from a Garage-Challenged Rider...

I am one of those Vermonters that live in a condo which does not have carports, garage, or any assigned structure that keeps the elements off your vehicle or bikes.

I have gotten pretty good at putting the cover on & taking it off but I was wondering if there were some new things that might be good.

I can't build a hut-shed-leanto because of the condo rules but I recently saw in the parking lot of the Hideaway Restaurant/Condos near Land-Air (formerly aka Wilson Inn) a mobile portable light weight shell for motorcycles that might be nice. I will take a picture of it next time I drive nearby. Does any one have any tips or tricks or gear that would be of interest to the Garage-Challenged rider.

ah ha...I found the shelter/shell/whats-it... http://www.cycleshell.com/ Anyone used one of these?

Thanks in advance.

john

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by JohnCVermont; 05-13-11 at 08:47 AM.

Re: A Question from a Garage-Challenged Rider...

I think I saw a thread a little while ago with some glowing reviews of the Cycleshell. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: I think this is the one http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...ycleshell.html

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

I'm pretty sure DarkDuc has one that he covered his 749 with. He's headed to pengiun today tho so he make take a bit to reply.

---------------------------------------------------
    - Nothing Witty -

2002 Ducati 998 (sold)
    2006 Xtreme Pro Stock 125cc (sold to JBell)
    2000 Ducati 748 track (sold)

can you have an enclosed trailer on site?

2008 Kawasaki Versys 650
    1972 Honda CL70

I've looked into these a bit, and I like the idea...but you might want to check with the HOA before buying one.

(Or "proceed until apprehended" might be a better option, but I'd expect some HOAs to not look kindly upon anything other than a car or truck in the lot. I know that my girlfriend's HOA regs prohibit trailers, for example, and I rather doubt a CycleShell would fly.)

Quote Originally Posted by sandros View Post
    I'm pretty sure DarkDuc has one that he covered his 749 with. He's headed to pengiun today tho so he make take a bit to reply.
    He has the second post in the thread I linked with his opinions on it

Last edited by NobodySpecific; 05-12-11 at 03:23 PM.
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

I've been told that my Cycleshell will be shipping tomorrow and should arrive late next week. I'll let you know what I think once I get it. I can tell you that if you want one you should start trying to contact them(Mark) a while before you hope to have it. Email is pretty much useless, and most calls go straight to voicemail-and not returned. However, the product is supposed to be excellent and I can't wait to finally have it.

Quote Originally Posted by kbroderick View Post
    I've looked into these a bit, and I like the idea...but you might want to check with the HOA before buying one.

(Or "proceed until apprehended" might be a better option, but I'd expect some HOAs to not look kindly upon anything other than a car or truck in the lot. I know that my girlfriend's HOA regs prohibit trailers, for example, and I rather doubt a CycleShell would fly.)
    You perceive my quandary correctly but I didn't want to proceed any further with the HOA before I had done my due diligence on the product. I live at Fort Ethan Allen's Officer's Row which has some odd rules & regulations, however, we have permitted trailers & such. Because the cyclehut is not permanent, it would be more paletteable to the HOA & it would be removed when I store the bike for the winter.

I would like to add according to the HOA rules. Each unit is allocated two parking spaces. My family has a single car & one motorcycle. so, my bike is not "taking away" a spot for any of my neighbors. In fact, it is a space that is little used. When it was, it was our second car & about 80 yards from my unit. Of course, we could create a small motorcycle parking area...oh the firestorm that would create. Parking can be such a visceral topic.

I might ask if the color of the color can be changed...the bright silver is a little *loud*. There is another bike in a parking space nearby, maybe we could share a single parking space.

I would like to get a newer bike in a year so I can go a long multi-day rides ...a cyclehut would be a lot cheaper than trying to buy a new house with a garage.

Thank you all for your opinions & attention regarding this odd topic.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 05-16-11 at 06:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ranette View Post
    I've been told that my Cycleshell will be shipping tomorrow and should arrive late next week. I'll let you know what I think once I get it. I can tell you that if you want one you should start trying to contact them(Mark) a while before you hope to have it. Email is pretty much useless, and most calls go straight to voicemail-and not returned. However, the product is supposed to be excellent and I can't wait to finally have it.
    Exciting...Let us know what you think. I have seen a couple in use already. I hope it is a wild success for you.

Another question in the vein of the "garage-challenged"...

I have used a rope & rafter in a car port, etc to heft my front end off the ground to change my front tire... since I don't have a garage or car port, I am looking to buy a front stand.

Any one have a extra front stand that don't want any more?

I don't but you can get them wicked cheap on ebay. I picked up a few and they are wicked solid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BIKE-...Q5fAccessories

Both:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Unive...item3f0681c9c8

Quote Originally Posted by yesterdayze View Post
    I don't but you can get them wicked cheap on ebay. I picked up a few and they are wicked solid.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BIKE-...Q5fAccessories

Both:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Motorcycle-Unive...item3f0681c9c8
    Holy Smokes...thanks for the excellent referral. I had checked a few catalogs.

Just checking locally first, if some local Vermonters had an extra one (or both) kicking around, I would be interested in purchasing.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ordered a front stance & will be working on pulling my wheels this week, now that it looks like it stopped raining for a few hours. This is when a garage or car port would be soooo nice.

Thanks to the referral by Yesterdaze... my front stand has arrived & ready for action.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnCVermont View Post
    Thanks to the referral by Yesterdaze... my front stand has arrived & ready for action.

Sweet! So much easier to work on bikes when you have the right stuff! If you ever need to borrow tools or need a hand just pm me!

Quote Originally Posted by yesterdayze View Post
    Sweet! So much easier to work on bikes when you have the right stuff! If you ever need to borrow tools or need a hand just pm me!
    How true...having tools is nice... but having the right tools is great

Just need a need a better assortment of metric box end wrenches for those tight spots (easier to remove the chain guard so I can see better, to get the chain lined up just right) .. I should have all the various tools collection completed... until then the next maintenance challenge.

Thanks for the encouragement & offer of assistance.

Update : tire on, bike inspected, all is good.

Last edited by JohnCVermont; 06-20-11 at 02:49 PM.