Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

A sad day for this Florida resident

A sad day for this Florida resident

A little background:

A friend from Essex turned 30 in 1997. His wife gave him a 1998 Ducati 748. I was at his house and my jaw hit the floor. Sure, we'd all had bikes in the past, but that Tamburini design was just sex on wheels. I had to have one. My goal: a ducati when I turned 30.

Thankfully, I bought my first Ducati 748s when I was still 29. I rode the crap out of that thing. I was living in Utah at the time and the canyons out there are just incredible. Then Miller oppened up a track 35 minutes west of my home....

Fast forward to 2006, and I applied to medical school. The cost of the applications required me to sell her, but I always vowed to get another. I did during my third year of med school in Burlington. I found a pristine, low mileage 998. I had read about Bike Night on line and it wasn't until one of my first spring ride in 2010, that I ran out of gas (thanks to a Ducati's finicky style and a crapped out fuel level sensor). It was that afternoon that I met Billy, aka: freak, crash on the side of the road in Monkton.

We had some adventures. I met everyone at Bike Night and enjoyed the safety conscious attitude, the lack of squids and the break from my life at the hospital (and the creemee runs). I got introduced to that awesome stretch of highway somewhere across the lake with Freak and JBell (it always was fun going nuts on a bike with an officer of the law leading the way on an 848). I got a pit bike and tried to get onto the goKart track in Barre (you guys have an INCREDIBLE resource there). Brett and I got down there once in the cold rain of October a few years ago. Doc and many others taught me much on the technical track in Loudon. I spent hours in my garage playing with my 998.

Then some big life changes happened. I didn't match Ortho, so I had to take what was offered. A year in Danbury CT and 4 years in South Florida. Well, the riding in CT was fun, but I never had time to meet folks so I often just cruised alone. Florida, there are no ride. Literally. If there is a turn in the road its an on or off ramp to a highway.

I was riding into work the other morning. Changed the oil and was getting her up to temp. First intersection, 7am, and a Lexus SUV runs the light as I'm in the middle of the intersection. He locked em up and threw it sideways, just missing me by no more than 6 inches. I felt the wind of his speed thru my helmet and leather jacket.

It just wasn't my time. But it wasn't going to be my time either. I won't lie guys. I'd have not felt a thing if he was 12 inches to his right. I turned around and took the cage to work, my face numb with fear. I listed her on Craigslist that night. I didn't want the temptation of going out on roads here in SoFlo again. They have been way to insane for 15 months.

She just drove away, in the trailer of a very nice 36yo guy who plans on bringing her back to Georgia. She deserves to be ridden, throttled hard now and again. I couldn't giver her that anymore down here. I still have almost three years left. I'll get another bike. Maybe a Tricolore or something new in 2016...but for now, I can't help but feel like I lost a piece of myself.

Be well guys. Ride safe. I gotta go pick up the fiance at the airport.

Cheers,

Sandros (aka: sandyV)

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    - Nothing Witty -

2002 Ducati 998 (sold)
    2006 Xtreme Pro Stock 125cc (sold to JBell)
    2000 Ducati 748 track (sold)

Re: A sad day for this Florida resident

Sucks to hear, Sandy. But it makes sense. No point riding if there are no decent roads to ride and you're besieged by idiots driving 5000lb weapons.

Get yourself out of that place when you can; the Ducatis will still be there.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Damn. Hope you get over her quick man. That's scary

Wow that sucks. That would definitely kill it a bit.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Bummer Sandy! That's a tough decision for sure and one I never hope I have to make. I lost one uncle this year and had another delivered to the ER still unconscious from motorcycle accidents. I understand what you're saying.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

I hear Florida has decent sand and off road stuff...

Maybe a dirt bike to scratch the itch till you move somewhere with better street riding?

Anyway, sobering post and good luck with whenever and whatever you decide

Having family in floriduh, I have spent enough time there to completely understand your decision. The risk/reward is like 90/10. I don't even care to drive down there

You did a great job in explaining why you decided to sell you love and stop riding for a time. You made a good decision and the love of our sport will over power the fear in a few years. There is no sense in riding down there if there are no twisty (read enjoyable) roads and as the poster above wrote the bikes will be here when you are ready to ride again. We have all had close calls and some take them as part of the risk that makes our sport so rewarding but there comes a time when risk outweighs reward. Before I bought my Ducati I had given up riding for a few years, mostly because of texting while driving made trips anywhere dangerous. I could not stay away for long and I decided I must be more aware and careful while riding and so far this has worked for me. I know the future will hold more ride time for you and you will be a better safer rider for making this decision. Get back out there as soon as you are ready.

You gotta look on the bright side... at least you don't have to deal with winter for the next three years. Get outdoors and enjoy it.

...self awareness as a wonderful thing. And all too rare. Props to you for knowing yourself...and know too, that things change, situations change, and we change...!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the words of encouragement. I've been nostalgic over the weekend, but you are all right, and I can't wait to see what ends up in my garage in a few years. I promise to keep you posted. Cheers!

SandyV

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    ---------------------------------------------------
    - Nothing Witty -

2002 Ducati 998 (sold)
    2006 Xtreme Pro Stock 125cc (sold to JBell)
    2000 Ducati 748 track (sold)