Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

It was sooo Nice out today!!!!

Re: It was sooo Nice out today!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Depends on what you are looking to do with them.

Again, I just don't see the point of calling his bike "dumb" because of something he did not do to it. The bike was not built that way for a reason, be it coolness, voltage draw, safeness, or maybe the Japanese can't see the difference with the squinty eyes...

...and yes I do think the one headlight thing is "cool" so I am not of the same mindset.

I think 6 headlights on a motorcycle looks "dumb". Safe yes. But "dumb".
    Right, because we're talking about adding a bunch of lights to the bike

If he enables the other light, it will still look completely stock to anybody that isn't intimately familiar with this type of bike, it will make the bike perform better at night, and he will be easier to be seen. What's so bad about that again? Oh right, it wouldn't be "cool". A lot of people might view wearing lots of gear to not be cool either, do you let that affect your decisions? I guess when you don't use your bike as a status symbol, being "cool" just doesn't matter

You seem to be taking a lot of offense to his bike being called dumb.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    You seem to be taking a lot of offense to his bike being called dumb.
    Just enjoying the "conversation" No offense taken.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

If he rigs it so the low beam stays on with the high he'll have compromised his night lighting by moving the hot spot closer to him, shortening the distance he can see down the road.

Also, the 'dual headlights make it easier for cagers to estimate distance' theory is bunk in this case. The lights are too close together to be discerned at distance, and up close if someone does try and estimate distance based on what they're seeing they'll assume too far based on the assumption that it's a car.

Not to mention the wiring harness and charging system may not like the double draw from the headlights it wasn't designed to deal with.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Maybe the Japanese can't see the difference with the squinty eyes...

--mark

Last edited by Doc; 02-25-11 at 11:31 AM.
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    If he rigs it so the low beam stays on with the high he'll have compromised his night lighting by moving the hot spot closer to him, shortening the distance he can see down the road.

Also, the 'dual headlights make it easier for cagers to estimate distance' theory is bunk in this case. The lights are too close together to be discerned at distance, and up close if someone does try and estimate distance based on what they're seeing they'll assume too far based on the assumption that it's a car.

Not to mention the wiring harness and charging system may not like the double draw from the headlights it wasn't designed to deal with.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I have only one thing to add to this conversation:

(That's a local bike, by the way.)

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Hahaha....wow....I just looked and saw every thing unfold....

So for all interested, both lights are on when my high beam is on....as for the rest of the DUMB statement.....I'm quite sure Adam doesn't actully believe it's all that dumb....I believe it was more of a funny poke....but wow....you guys had fun with that.........

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

In MA, riding with high beams in daytime is legal. The use of modulators is also legal. Both are recommended by the RMV. If visibility is important, adding a modulator is a much better investment than converting a single-beam system to a dual low-beam. Modulators are legal in all 50 states - it's a federal law. Since you can legally only modulate the high beam, you get the dual headlight look for free! Every dual lamp system I've seen keeps the low beam on when the high beam is turned on.

Wouldn't riding with hi-beams all the time technically be illegal? And do both lights turn on for hi-beams or just one? If just one, then that still doesn't solve the "problem" of a single light bike. And what about at night? Having two headlights gives your bike width, which makes it easier to see and determine speed, meaning people should be less likely to pull out in front of him.

Bright green bike means nothing when it's dark out. Cheaper and less of a hassle? Sure, but less effective. I agree that if he doesn't want to change it then that's that, but it doesn't mean you should encourage him to be lazy if you don't even know how hard it would be to make the change.

And I agree with Adam that it's dumb, because two lights ARE available (unlike on my SV where there was only one housing, only one bulb, only one circuit) the designers just chose to make the other light hi-beam only.

Am I right, or am I wrong in saying this: more lights are a good thing

DanG
    People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive.
    - Blaise Pascal

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post

Who said anything about the low beam staying on with the hi-beam? I'm talking about both lows on at the same time, and both hi-beams on at the same time.

I'm not saying that he will look like a mack truck, but adding even a little bit of discernible width will help. I'll agree to disagree on that point since there isn't enough data to determine either way.

If his bike can't handle an extra 55 Watts (I'm not even sure that it's that high) then he has got a lot more problems than an extra light. And the wiring harness can handle 2 hi-beams at once, so 2 lows at once shouldn't cause ANY problem in that regard (note: the charging system also can handle that, so really that's all a bogus argument)

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    I have only one thing to add to this conversation:

(That's a local bike, by the way.)

--mark
    I think that's exactly the bike Doc was referring to when he mentioned 6 headlights, and I agree with him that it looks...not so good.

'90 Yamaha XT350

Its do-able, and fairly easy, assuming you can find bi-halogen bulbs that fit into the housing.

The bi-halogen bulbs have three wires off the back, high, low, and ground. Assuming the OEM relays can handle an additional light, which they should, plug the lights in, and tap into the existing wires in the harness. You can do it all in the harness so its easy to remove the harness, make it nice and neat, and just re-install.

This post was brought to you by the countless hours I spent retrofitting projectors/HIDs into my Jetta a few years back...never again.

A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

I think that's exactly the bike Doc was referring to when he mentioned 6 headlights, and I agree with him that it looks...not so good.
    Oh, it looks silly as hell, but you have to admit it would light up the road pretty well. And be very visible at night, although people seeing it approaching might think it was a freaking UFO instead of a motorcycle.

--mark

I just run with both high beams on until dusk. I figure it's better visibility for the cagers (a little more eye catching) and they aren't bright enough in the day time to blind anyone. I haven't been yelled at or pulled over (for that) yet.

There is a way to make both lows stay on. There were some posts on a forum about it and, if my memory serves me, the bulbs are asymetrical so it involves modifying the mounts to adapt to the high/low bulb and redoing some wiring. More of a PITA than it's worth to me.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Man, Parker just wanted to show off his bike a bit and you guys had to rain on his parade and argue Ad infinitum about his lighting and/or lack of. Jesus.

Hey, Parker, nice bike!

Hey guys, check out this old pic of me.

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

Everybody to the limit!

Noone's gonna make fun of Doc for his ethnic slur typo? This isn't the NESR I once knew.

Quote Originally Posted by Quigs View Post
    Hey guys, check out this old pic of me.

Hahahaha, what the fuck does this have to do with riding in the winter in the past 2 weeks?

GT2

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

you're retarded Parker. He posted that picture to be a jackass because his bike (like yours) only uses one of its two lights for the low beam.

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track

I took my RC51 out yesterday... it only runs one headlight at a time... like a boss

2000 RC51

Quote Originally Posted by AHAMAYs2 View Post
    Hahahaha, what the fuck does this have to do with riding in the winter in the past 2 weeks?
    If both of my headlights were on, you'd totally be able to "see" my point!

Chris Q - 2007 R1
    Metalguitarist.org

bump, but for the right reason! Anybody else make it out today? Got the Sprint out for the first time with the new MFW footpegs I put on and it was great. Spring can't come fast enough!

'90 Yamaha XT350

Got out for about 50 miles today on the Honda. Rode to Richmond for brunch, then over to Frank's, then later headed over to Justin's to remove the studded tires and mount up a fresh set of Dunlops.

Just in time for another foot of snow tomorrow...

--mark

.....stupid snow.......

GT2

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123