Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Summer plans for Vermont Bike Night

Summer plans for Vermont Bike Night

As Parker already mentioned in his recap post, we had a productive discussion tonight.

Primary topic of discussion was expanding Bike Night. We all agreed that (barring another rainy summer like the last one) we need to work on publicizing Bike Night and drawing in more people this summer. Aside from the obvious flyering and Craigslist posts, we can try spreading the word via other motorcycle groups (like at the Toy Run) or even by having a Bike Night group ride in the Warren Fourth of July parade. Or the Winooski one. Or maybe even both.

Once our numbers start to grow, we'll need to look for a location that can handle more than 40 bikes with space to spare. The leading candidate seems to be Chicken Charlie's/Moe's, where we actually did a trial Bike Night summer before last. Once the numbers slack off in the fall, we'd return to Donny's as the home location.

We also revisited the idea of doing Bike Nights in destination locations occasionally, like at the A&W in Middlebury. These would probably start in the normal location, then everyone would ride to the alternate location; people could also just meet us at the alternate location.

Wherever Bike Night ends up being located, we're sticking to Tuesdays.

We also discussed the possibility of larger events, and also having an annual fundraiser, of which the one we recently did for AJ would be the first.

And I broached the idea of doing occasional longer weekend trips with the core Bike Night crew. For example, a ride up to Tadoussac, Quebec, to camp on the St Lawrence and ride the awesome mountain roads around the Saguenay fjord, or across the Kancamagus Highway and into Maine. We'll always camp in order to keep costs down. Some trips may involve longer mileage (400-500 mile days), others may be more in the 200-300 mile per day range.

And that's pretty much that. Someone fill in anything I missed. Otherwise... discuss.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

re: Summer plans for Vermont Bike Night

Nobody has anything to contribute? Really?

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Well, I'm open to ideas, but my problem lies in work.

Right now i'm lucky if I can make 1 a month with the amount of OT that i'm working right now. But, I will make it when I can, especially in the summer. As far as destinations, i'm open to anything thats somewhat close by. I really don't want to ride over an hour to go to bike night, but thats just me.

And the weekend trips, like the idea but not practical for me at this time. I need the interwebz for graduate school on a daily basis for like the next 18 months or so.

I didn't have anything particularly constructive to say so I was keeping my mouth shut. It seems like the annual spring discussion about moving bike night. We tried that, went there, visited a bunch of locations, and I thought we decided none were worth moving to until we reached a critical mass at Donnys. That was what, a year and a half ago? There were less people at bike night last year than the year before (my impression, not a fact), myself being part of the problem.

That being said, I'll be lucky to make one bike night a month. I have a commitment every other Tuesday evening, and most of the track days at Loudon are Tuesday/Wednesdays. Track time takes priority over pizza.

I'll follow Bike Night wherever you guys chose to make it or whenever it is but I think I'll let people more involved in it than I am make the big decisions.

Enough of the serious stuff. I think, based on the most frequent attendees, we should move bike night to Johnson to facilitate the Ginger Twins. They make it way more frequently than people that live 4 blocks from Donnys, and we all know that Mark would ride to Island Pond if bike night was up there.

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

WOOT!!!! YAY GINGER TWINS!!!

As for the trips I'm very interested in some trips. Maybe start out shorter distances and then get gradually longer. Like idk if I can do 500 mile days yet because I've never done anything close to that. And I love camping. So we should do that.

We'll definitely be doing some long day rides. Kancamagus Highway before tourist season starts, for example. Those will help build up your endurance.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    I didn't have anything particularly constructive to say so I was keeping my mouth shut. It seems like the annual spring discussion about moving bike night.
    +1

The discussion seems to go in circles. To me, it's semi-pointless to even talk about moving Bike Night until the time comes when we have too many bikes for Winooski. Space is not the problem... we had plenty of it last summer.

Moving the location every X number of weeks hurts attendance. 50% of the attendees aren't on the forums so when they drive by and don't see bikes, they keep on driving. And probably don't come back the next week.

I think, based on the most frequent attendees, we should move bike night to Johnson to facilitate the Ginger Twins. They make it way more frequently than people that live 4 blocks from Donnys
    @ Doc

and we all know that Mark would ride to Island Pond if bike night was up there.

I like the idea of just doing the first Tuesday of every month at Chicken Charlies, because it mixes things up a bit, and who knows, we might all like it there. It also gives us a chance to find out if Donny's is the reason that we aren't growing faster than we might want to be. I think having destinations and slightly more organized "events" (like the weekend trips) can help to not only further build unity amongst the bike night regulars, but give others something to do instead of just sitting around shooting the shit (which is nice too, but tends to generate cliques of people, not a unified community). We all clearly have a common interest, so why not make that the focal point (with the rides) instead of just a topic of discussion. This isn't an all or nothing kind of plan, they are merely things to supplement the normal bike night (which is why we would only change the venue once a month, or have a "destination bike night" every 6 weeks, whatever it may be).

My personal view is in agreement with Justin. Moving Bike Night around too much confuses people who aren't forum regulars and therefore probably don't hear about it.

I'd leave it alone until we consistently get numbers that are too big for Donny's to support. And then move to another location and stay there until numbers decline to just the core group, instead of confusing people by going back and forth.

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 02-18-10 at 01:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by catamount View Post

The discussion seems to go in circles. To me, it's semi-pointless to even talk about moving Bike Night until the time comes when we have too many bikes for Winooski. Space is not the problem... we had plenty of it last summer.

Moving the location every X number of weeks hurts attendance. 50% of the attendees aren't on the forums so when they drive by and don't see bikes, they keep on driving. And probably don't come back the next week.

I agree here. And we tried the destination Bike Nights this past year, starting off at Donny's and heading somewhere else. Ah, the very short-lived life of the creemee runs. If I recall there was frequently heat for those that left early (before the end of posted VTBN hours) to head on the creemee run, especially if new members showed up and only a few core members were still there.

If you guys want to do longer rides and explore some new areas (and knowing Tuesday nights aren't working for everyone) then why don't you plan something during our Tuesday BN, advertise it for a couple weeks and then venture out? For example: VTBN Wednesday ride to <insert super cool destination here>. It doesn't always have to be at night, and it doesn't always have to be somewhere far away.

Those are my "for what it's worth" ideas.

"And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth, wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever...." James Dickey

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
    If you guys want to do longer rides and explore some new areas (and knowing Tuesday nights aren't working for everyone) then why don't you plan something during our Tuesday BN, advertise it for a couple weeks and then venture out? For example: VTBN Wednesday ride to <insert super cool destination here>.
    That's a really good idea. We could plan an occasional alternate-night run to the A&W or wherever.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    We'll definitely be doing some long day rides. Kancamagus Highway before tourist season starts, for example. Those will help build up your endurance.

--mark
    I wanna do this one first. We can plan a day and then advertise it at Bike Nights. Have a big ride or a small one, I don't care.
    Kinda like what you have been doing with the Virginia trip.

Something like the Kanc ride will be invite only -- I'm not going to be responsible for 20 squids who've never ridden with us before getting up to stupid shit on a twisty road (especially when we get over to Hurricane Mtn Rd...). But don't worry, Adam, you'll be invited.

--mark

Something like the Kanc ride will be invite only -- I'm not going to be responsible for 20 squids who've never ridden with us before getting up to stupid shit on a twisty road (especially when we get over to Hurricane Mtn Rd...). But don't worry, Adam, you'll be invited.

--mark

I know I don't count cuz I'm so far displaced but

HMR!!!!

I agree, depending on where the rides are going and what time of year...would be best to limit the number of invites. I couldn't imagine HMR with 20 people.

OMG I WANNA DO HURRICANE MOUNTAIN ROAD!!!!
    I did it in October in my truck and I have a video and it was AMAZING!!!

HMR is always part of my Kanc rides.

And Corey, you're always welcome to join us, I know you're not a squid.

--mark

I must be the only one that is not a fan of that god-forsaken road. Those damn rocks in the road are like little land mines waiting to explode me off into the woods.

You have to ride it a couple times, Keith, then you'll start to like it.

Besides, there's only a few spots where the rocks poke through the pavement.

--mark

weekdays...probably not. weekend tours.. lets do it. I used to do several hundred miles every saturday and sunday with people like Kitt .... 430am til whenever was a good time to stop lol. I'm down to venture up to VT,canada (montreal )

I can post what ever you want on a few of the Busa boards, Etremebusa has a few locals that would like to make the trip, every now and then!

Performance: 1397 JE bigbore, Dual Intake cams, Adjustable cam spockets, Sm air box mod,Pc3 usb,Ingnition box w/hub, and Lcd screen, Hindle stepped race header, Dual Fans, 24 volt starting
    Suspension & Brakes: Ohlins road and track forks, Ohlins rear shock, Sprint top mount dampner, PRM top clamp, Dymag Carbon mags, Brembo HP rotors, Brembo Hp radial calipers,
    Show & GO: Topgun undertail, Libertek led lights, Pazzo lever, PMR Switches & Kill,PMR cover. Revolution Custom Paint, Harris Grips.

Quote Originally Posted by gixerhp View Post
    I can post what ever you want on a few of the Busa boards, Etremebusa has a few locals that would like to make the trip, every now and then!
    that paint looks familiar lol.. I'm camaroguy72 on H.org ... that looksl ike the paint job from the guy in LI

Quote Originally Posted by BlueEyes View Post
    I agree here. And we tried the destination Bike Nights this past year, starting off at Donny's and heading somewhere else. Ah, the very short-lived life of the creemee runs. If I recall there was frequently heat for those that left early (before the end of posted VTBN hours) to head on the creemee run, especially if new members showed up and only a few core members were still there.

If you guys want to do longer rides and explore some new areas (and knowing Tuesday nights aren't working for everyone) then why don't you plan something during our Tuesday BN, advertise it for a couple weeks and then venture out? For example: VTBN Wednesday ride to <insert super cool destination here>. It doesn't always have to be at night, and it doesn't always have to be somewhere far away.

Those are my "for what it's worth" ideas.
    That's a really good idea. We could plan an occasional alternate-night run to the A&W or wherever.

--mark
    How is that a good idea? You guys don't think bike night should change nights because people have changed their schedules to come teusdays but you want to plan rides other nights?

How about we plan rides on the weekends.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Next issue is I thought we decided to try bike night at another location (as yet to be decided) 1 teusday a month starting possibly in June. Am I mistaken?

Moving Bike Night is not going to confuse people if we advertise it right. It might even make the night bigger.

Doing little creemee runs is going to draw more people in, not drive them away. Wah fuckin Wah if some people had a hair across there ass because people "left bike night before it ended". If we don't get out in the community and be SEEN bike night will not grow.

Contrary to some opinion moving to a larger venue 1 night a month is a good thing. It IS going to happen, for a COUPLE of reasons, one way or the other.

Donny's will always remain the OG / off season spot. Even if another venue gets 300 bikes a night.

Last edited by Doc; 02-18-10 at 08:04 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Re: Summer plans for Vermont Bike Night

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Next issue is I thought we decided to try bike night at another location (as yet to be decided) 1 teusday a month starting possibly in June. Am I mistaken?

Moving Bike Night is not going to confuse people if we advertise it right. It might even make the night bigger.

Doing little creemee runs is going to draw more people in, not drive them away. Wah fuckin Wah if some people had a hair across there ass because people "left bike night before it ended". If we don't get out in the community and be SEEN bike night will not grow.

Contrary to some opinion moving to a larger venue 1 night a month is a good thing. It IS going to happen, for a COUPLE of reasons, one way or the other.

Donny's will always remain the OG / off season spot. Even if another venue gets 300 bikes a night.

Doc, chill out man. I know you have a lot on your plate right now but take a deap breath and just let it happen. I do believe it would be a good idea to properly advertise and try bike night at a different location once a month.

Remember everyone, this is a thread that we all need to be supportive of. The only way anything positive will happen is if we stick together as a community. Feel free to express your opinions, but remember that when you're debating other peoples ideas, it needs to be constructive critisim and not an attack at the person or idea. if a plan is laid out and flawed, don't say it's stupid, see how you can help to improve it or take the good points from it and expand on those.

Most of all guys, lets remeber to keep a smile, advertise bike night, and keep throwing ideas into the mix to see what we can come up with.

Re: Summer plans for Vermont Bike Night

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    How is that a good idea? You guys don't think bike night should change nights because people have changed their schedules to come teusdays but you want to plan rides other nights?
    It's a good idea because if we want to grow Bike Night, it's best to be consistent about location. The people we're trying to draw are the ones who are not on this forum and maybe don't check Craigslist either. If we move Bike Night around, they're going to have trouble finding it.

This is the same reason I think it's a mistake to do Bike Night at Chicken Charlie's (or wherever) only one night a month.

Either we move it or we leave it at Donny's. It does not make sense to me to go back and forth.

Doing rides to A&W or wherever on different nights would allow those who can make it to participate without disrupting the regular Bike Night.

How about we plan rides on the weekends.
    I already do that, in case you forgot. And they're real rides, not a short hop to get a burger and hang out.

Where are you going to advertise it where everyone will see it? Ain't gonna happen. Advertising alternating locations is like advertising Bike Night for the first time, every week. It's ineffective advertising. (I haven't worked at JDK for over 12 years without learning a few things about marketing and advertising.)

We gain people by being consistent -- "Tuesday nights at (Donny's/Chicken Charlie's/wherever)" needs to get passed around by word of mouth, flyers, etc. Then people will swing by and check it out. If they swing by wherever they think it is and we're not there, they probably won't bother to try again.

Doing little creemee runs is going to draw more people in, not drive them away. If we don't get out in the community and be SEEN bike night will not grow.
    What makes you think that? How will people know that the big group of bikes going by has anything to do with Bike Night? Unless you have some Vermont Bike Night vinyl stickers made up to put on your Ducati's fairings, or a big Bike Night flag to fly from a pole attached to your subframe.

Wah fuckin Wah if some people had a hair across there ass because people "left bike night before it ended".
    The point was that everyone was taking off at 7, leaving like three of us there, so to the new people showing up after 7 (and there were a decent number of them), it looked like no one comes to Bike Night. Most of those people didn't come back, and I don't blame them.

It's Bike Night, not Creemee Run Night. If summer hours are 6-9, it's ridiculous for the organizers of the night to leave and take everyone with them a third of the way through. If you want to do a creemee run, keep Bike Night's winter hours of 5:30-8:30 and leave for the creemee run at 8.

This is all basic common sense. Maybe some of it isn't as much fun as you personally want to have, but it's going to take some effort -- and a little sacrifice -- to make Bike Night grow.

--mark

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast