Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Summer plans for Vermont Bike Night

Re: Summer plans for Vermont Bike Night

OK guys here is my .02 from a newbie/possible VTBN attendie....

Ive been following the couple of threads you guys have involving BN and let me just say this, the bickering back and forth between the "organizers" should be done in private,not open public forums.It will turn people away from even attempting to show up.That being said i know you guys are looking to be better organized for this coming season and taking suggestions is the way to go.The organizers should take the suggestions,discuss them in private and then bring the VTBN info here with nothing but positive feedback.Just my .02!

I have been riding with a large group(60+ and growing) for the past 6yrs.Each year we meet for a week event somewhere in the Northeast.We started with 10ppl, this year its looking closer to 70ppl. 2 different people plan each one of our events from soup to nuts every year by just what i suggested above.The same can be done on a weekly BN.

One more thing i want to ask/mention is how many people are you looking for?What would be a good attendance thats acceptable for a successfully BN?
    Burlington/Winooski is about as far west as you can get in the state of Vermont.Granted its the largest city in the state,but if your looking to draw people on a Tuesday night from all over you may think about location.If your organizers only want to travel 10min. from there house then good luck trying to get anyone else to come to you.Gathering up people north of WRJ for a BN would be best held somewhere like Montpelier.No i don't live in Montpelier.I'm 1.5 hrs from either Winooski or Montpelier.

Anyways I'm all for a successful BN i hope you guys work it out.I will continue to check in,spring is coming!!By the way i ride a 06 Suzuki m109r when i feel like making allot of noise and role on my 260 rear tire and a 05 Honda CBR1000 when i feel like hitting the twisties.

Mike

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Welcome!

You wouldn't find any discussion on our new Facebook page of the sort you do here, no worries. On this site we're pretty open about discussion because nearly all of us (in this Bike Night subforum) know each other personally, and it's much easier to get comments from everyone here than via PM. I can definitely see how it would be a bit intimidating to new people though.

Moving the Bike Night out of the Burlington area is not really an option because the vast majority of people who attend are locals. I see your point about other towns, but Burlington is by far the biggest population center in Vermont.

What's the group you've been riding with? Do you guys have a website or anything?

Good post; welcome to the forum!

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Advertisement is going to be our best friend. Flyers at the different motorcycle shops will help out greatly. Also having that HUGE banner out would be excellent.
    This is why we need our Street Team!

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...6848290&ref=nf

Boom!

Ideas? Pictures? Suggestions? post them here, PM me, or e-mail vermontbikenight at gmail dot com. I can give control of that e-mail address or the group to anybody that wants it, or I'll keep it, either way is fine by me.
    Good job man!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by MotoFreak View Post
    Cool Cool, you guys rock.

A group ride the first Sunday of the month sounds great, and the FB Page, genius. I did have an email list at one point, but it never generated any responses, and I hated sending out the emails.

I think that if we had a few people (mark, Keith, Twins) invovled with managing and organizing different rides, we could accomplish the goals we set forth from our mission statement, generate buzz, attract different riders, and go on great rides. Not everyone is into the posing scene, and all of us love to ride, but not everyone is into chillin for 3 hrs! Just in whatever we do, we have to be consistent in our approach; as in we promote proper gear, responsible and respectful riding, and passing on knowledge of the sport. I for one, am very excited about this summer and the opportunites to be had.
    Could you possibly SHARE the list? i never saw it and I never got any of the emails you sent out.

I think getting another list together might prove fruitful.

Last edited by Doc; 02-19-10 at 07:37 PM.
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Mike View Post

Ive been following the couple of threads you guys have involving BN and let me just say this, the bickering back and forth between the "organizers" should be done in private,not open public forums.It will turn people away from even attempting to show up.That being said i know you guys are looking to be better organized for this coming season and taking suggestions is the way to go.The organizers should take the suggestions,discuss them in private and then bring the VTBN info here with nothing but positive feedback.Just my .02!

I have been riding with a large group(60+ and growing) for the past 6yrs.Each year we meet for a week event somewhere in the Northeast.We started with 10ppl, this year its looking closer to 70ppl. 2 different people plan each one of our events from soup to nuts every year by just what i suggested above.The same can be done on a weekly BN.

One more thing i want to ask/mention is how many people are you looking for?What would be a good attendance thats acceptable for a successfully BN?
    Burlington/Winooski is about as far west as you can get in the state of Vermont.Granted its the largest city in the state,but if your looking to draw people on a Tuesday night from all over you may think about location.If your organizers only want to travel 10min. from there house then good luck trying to get anyone else to come to you.Gathering up people north of WRJ for a BN would be best held somewhere like Montpelier.No i don't live in Montpelier.I'm 1.5 hrs from either Winooski or Montpelier.

Anyways I'm all for a successful BN i hope you guys work it out.I will continue to check in,spring is coming!!By the way i ride a 06 Suzuki m109r when i feel like making allot of noise and role on my 260 rear tire and a 05 Honda CBR1000 when i feel like hitting the twisties.

Mike
    Welcome Mike. What has been discussed is starting little sattelite Bike nights around the state. I know of somone in Middlebury that was trying to start one up and I think we talked to the guys from Johnson about starting one. Having a Bike night near the largest population center is the best palce to start though.

It sounds like you have a good group going. Maybe you could start something with those guys closer to you. I am sure bill would be happy to help you organize it!

As to the bickering... Good Point, I am sure there is alot going on in PM's that we don't see here. I for one try to keep it ALL out in the open. No backstabbing if you know what I am saying.

I hope to meet you this year, at Bike Night, on a ride, or maybe at the track.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    What's the group you've been riding with? Do you guys have a website or anything?

Good post; welcome to the forum!

--mark
    Thanks for the welcomes.. i will try to make it over to the big city for BN.Im certainly up for any weekend rides that happen.Im always looking for sportbike riders to ride with.Up here inthe north theres a lack of sport rides!!

The group i meet with is more of a cruiser bunch although some do show up with BMW'S,Ducati's and st1300's ,certainly all are welcome. The thread thats going on now is here http://www.volusiariders.com/viewtopic.php?t=94890

Mike

For what it's worth, we ride all over the state, in New Hampshire, in the Adirondacks, etc, and we've got members all over Vermont, so keep an eye on the forum and watch for rides coming together. We make it up into the NE Kingdom not infrequently, so we should definitely be able to link up for a ride sometime.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Could you possibly SHARE the list? i never saw it and I never got any of the emails you sent out.

I think getting another list together might prove fruitful.
    If I had it, sure...never worked out for me, and we have the FB up. You are more than welcome to collect emails for a list though!

Mike
    What up Mike! Good lookin man, thanks for the input. Welcome to the place, look forward to seein that 1000!

And for the record...I have not sent a single PM concerning recent events and developments.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

If I had it, sure...never worked out for me, and we have the FB up. You are more than welcome to collect emails for a list though!.
    Will do. Thanks. Did you lose the book they were in or does someone else have it?

What up Mike! Good lookin man, thanks for the input. Welcome to the place, look forward to seein that 1000!

And for the record...I have not sent a single PM concerning recent events and developments

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I am sure there is alot going on in PM's that we don't see here. I for one try to keep it ALL out in the open. No backstabbing if you know what I am saying.

I think you might be surprised, Doc. I know of no PM conspiracy going on behind anyone's back, and there's certainly no backstabbing going on. If there is, I certainly haven't been a part of it.

It IS possible to have a debate and still remain friends, you know.

--mark

I think you might be surprised, Doc. I know of no PM conspiracy going on behind anyone's back, and there's certainly no backstabbing going on. If there is, I certainly haven't been a part of it.

It IS possible to have a debate and still remain friends, you know.

--mark
    Not what I meant Mark.

I meant that I am sure people are planning things and discussing them in PM. I send you guys PM's all the time.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Actually I think it's all been out in the open here.

--mark

I've never been to a BN since I'm so far south, but I would like to make some type of ride this year, like maybe the Kanc ride. I've never met any of you guys in person and I'm pretty sure none of you have met me, but I can assure you I can play follow the leader and be safe about it.

That being said, is there a "dress code" you guys live by? I know a lot of people are going to think squid the second they see someone riding without full leathers, but I typically ride in a leather jacket, helmet, gloves, jeans and hiking/work boots. I'm looking at picking up a set of SIDI boots this year, but I don't know about leather pants yet.

Anyways, if or when you guys decide to go on a cruise somewhere a little south of Burlington, if you want some extras let me know. As long as I have a week or two advance knowledge, I'd be glad to join up.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I think "dress code" sums it up...though its not like we turn people away, well, I don't think any of us have ran into a gear issue on any of our rides. We do push for ATGATT, at least gloves, jckt, tall boots, full face helmet...and I personally love the leather! Some of us have different preferences, but most of the Crew wear good gear most of the time.

Its a long haul up from Westminster, and I'll be sure to shoot you a PM when I come down that way. Looking at hitting more Central VT Roads this summer closer to you.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I've never been to a BN since I'm so far south, but I would like to make some type of ride this year, like maybe the Kanc ride. I've never met any of you guys in person and I'm pretty sure none of you have met me, but I can assure you I can play follow the leader and be safe about it.

That being said, is there a "dress code" you guys live by? I know a lot of people are going to think squid the second they see someone riding without full leathers, but I typically ride in a leather jacket, helmet, gloves, jeans and hiking/work boots. I'm looking at picking up a set of SIDI boots this year, but I don't know about leather pants yet.

Anyways, if or when you guys decide to go on a cruise somewhere a little south of Burlington, if you want some extras let me know. As long as I have a week or two advance knowledge, I'd be glad to join up.
    Sounds like what you wear would work.

What I call a squid is t-shirt.., shorts... that kinda thing.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

The gear partially depends on the ride. If we're going for a scenic ride, then it's not uncommon for people to wear more basic gear like you describe. On rides where the purpose is to attack twisties, people usually gear up in leathers.

The stuff you're wearing sounds fine... although you might want to at least go with a pair of Draggin jeans or similar (with kevlar in the knees/butt). Regular jeans will shred almost instantly if you go down.

It's not like we'd turn away someone for not wearing enough gear though. Well, maybe if someone turned up in shorts and a t-shirt...

--mark

I personally love the leather! Some of us have different preferences

Sorry Bill, you set yourself up for that one...

--mark

One question for those of you who wear race-ish style boots, do you have a vented or non-vented boots? I'm thinking with the wide range of temps we get here in VT, I'm probably better off with a non-vented boot (although I think most have 1 or 2 vents).

I'm currently looking at these:

http://www.kneedraggers.com/details/...s--654616.html

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

One question for those of you who wear race-ish style boots, do you have a vented or non-vented boots? I'm thinking with the wide range of temps we get here in VT, I'm probably better off with a non-vented boot (although I think most have 1 or 2 vents).

Yep, non vented for me. Sometimes my feet get warm but I like warm feet :

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Sorry Bill, you set yourself up for that one...

--mark
    I know... but seriously, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a tight one piece leather suit in the privacy of your home...right?

Those a nice boots. JCBell picked a pair up last year, and as far I know, enjoyed them very much. They will move air fairly well too.

I will always run a vented and perforated boot, as most come with little inlets and intakes anyway, but I find that I would rather deal with cold feet for a few weeks in the spring and fall than getting my feet and boots all nasty when its 90* in July.

Last edited by MotoFreak; 02-21-10 at 10:46 AM.
    Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-

I know... but seriously, there's nothing wrong with enjoying a tight one piece leather suit in the privacy of your home...right?
    As long as you're applying copious quantities of a good leather conditioning oil... especially in high-flex areas...

--mark

I have the SMX-4 boots which are vented...and honestly with full fairing on the bike I have to dangle my feets out a bit to feel the air move through them. The have vents up higher on the calf of your legs and I can still feel the air move through those even though my leathers go to my ankles. They're really comfortable boots though. My feet never get too hot in them, nor do they get cold on a 45 degree morning. They will however, fill up if the rain comes. That's the only sucky part, but then again I have no rain suit. I imagine that would help a lot, pulled down over the boot to the ankle. Could always tape the vents on the foot part I suppose.

When I got these boots I ordered my normal size and they were too small. I got the next size up and they're perfect. Same with my gloves, I had Alps SP-1 gloves then went to the GP Tech gloves and had to get them a size larger. I don't know of any place that stocks Alpinestars gear, at least the high end stuff so be prepared to have to return them, or take a gamble and order one size larger than the boots you currently wear.

As I was telling Freak last night, I got bit by a dog in the shin / calf and I never felt it...I'm sure he did as I ripped my armored boot out of his mouth though.

As for rides... +1
    Freak and I did a southern VT trip so he could go visit his police buddies in Wilmington...definitely a good ride and I've been saying lets do it again since. I'm about 60 miles north of Springfield, 3 miles from 91, bit of a hike for you but if you like throwin down some miles I can show you some great local roads up here and the Kanc is only 32 miles away... bear notch, hurricane mtn, some other assorted goodness..and of course the NEK is always fun to loop back up into after coming back across northern NH.

Lotsa options

Oh I got my boots from Bobs cycle supply, I looked at their site and they're back ordered on those boots. They do have SMX-5 boots that are waterproof, though they were $250. Not sure about kneedraggers, but Bobs has free shipping...so when I exchanged my boots, they covered the return as well. Score.

Last edited by Slyder; 02-21-10 at 12:18 PM.

Ya know what...

Do what you guys want. It is YOUR bike night. Good Luck.

I'm out.
    Okay, we are well past this right? Group hug!!!!

Ive been following the couple of threads you guys have involving BN and let me just say this, the bickering back and forth between the "organizers" should be done in private,not open public forums.It will turn people away from even attempting to show up.T
    Cause this dude is so right on Thank you for saying that, and our apologies for that. We're all a wee bit passionate....which has nothing to do with bills leather and oils.....

Okay, good with that out of the way, let's get down to business

Sorry I missed the last two Tuesday's discussions, been out sick or I would have been there as I think my attendance has shown .

Erika, I 150% agree with your comment about using bike night to introduce and plan big rides, but do them on a different night. I find that if you want a community thing you need to foster community. That means when I show up Tuesday, I show up to hang out, spend time with people, develop relationships etc.

It is the relationships I develop that will bring me back, and it is the relationships I develop that will bring me around when a ride happens wed night, or fri night or sat or whatever. Yes, it may be a beautiful night some of the Tuesday night; GREAT!!!! I still came to spend time with people. Part of the balance. I can't grow relationships with people if I show up, talk 5 seconds then go on a run with them. I won't really know them. (I'll just know what they look like as seen through my side mirror )

The vast majority of the people I have talked to agree that they want to come hang out at bike night. Meet people, look at bikes. Take their time.

As for changing locations. I agree with the consensus that it needs to be all in or all out. I have no desire to be running around trying to remember or figure out where we are this Tuesday. Even a 'first Tuesday of every month' thing doesn't interest me. I have no problem with saying 'summers at chicken charlies, winters at Donny's' but it needs to be whole summer, whole winter. Not 1 offs.

Consistency grows things. Most people will be turned off by a poster that reads 'may 1 donnys, may 8 cc, may 21st creeme stand georgia' because like it or not a lot of the new people will see the poster 1 or 2 times and think about showing up about 5 or 6 times before they do. If each of those 5 or 6 times they have to think 'now, was it donnys or cc's or the creemee stand this week?' they won't bother. If ever time they think, 'hmmm, tuesday, guys are over at donny's' then odds are eventually they will show up. If they show up and we all head out, they meet no one, form no relationships, and likely have no real desire to come back just so they can feel awkward and out of place again. If they show up, meet people, feel welcomed, develop initial rapports, odds are good they will be back.

keep it consistent and it becomes a habit for people.

Alrighty then!!! That was too long.

Just my ten cents. I've been leading small and large groups for things since high school over a decade ago and the same tactics that applied then apply now.

Hope this input is useful

Sounds fine We aren't going to turn anyone away even if they show up in shorts and a tshirt. Long as they have a helmet. That being said we will probably rib them, hopefully not too much - just enough (and hopefully after we establish some sort of rapport with them first), and hope that our example inspires them to ride a little more safely.

I've been attending since just a month or two after this started a few years back I believe and I wear an armored jacket, gloves, helmet, jeans and leather engineers/riding boots. Not the stiff boots, just plain leather and I don't wear any special pants. No one gives me crap. I think there is a line between unwise and personal decision (Though I would like to get some riding pants eventually )

Oh and bill, don't let them get to you, I thought you looked very sexy in the leather outfit....though the snorkel was a bit much....

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    I have the SMX-4 boots which are vented...
    I'm assuming the 4 and 5 are very close, and with the idea in mind, how wide are they? I wear a wide shoe, so I need a boot with some extra side-to-side room.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast