Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Recommended roads and reports

Recommended roads and reports

My girlfriend and I went on vacation in Portland, ME and then drove across ME, NH and VT to my parents lake house on Isle La Motte. Granted this was in a car, but I thought I should highlight some of the awesome roads I got to drive, those that I couldn't help but think of how awesome it would have been on a bike, and just give general updates on the roads.

1. Hurricane Mtn Rd - Everyone knows about this one, pavement is still decent compared with last year although there are a few raised portions that are extremely jarring where I hit the bumpstops on my car. I remember them from last year but they didn't seem quite as bad. Also seems to be a LOT less traffic heading east to west.

2. Rt 112, the Kanc - Obviously a classic, but what interested me even more than the section between Lincoln and Conway was the portion from where it splits off 116 and travels west to meet up with 302. LOTS of excellent twisties, almost all of it smooth freshly paved road.

3. 302 from 112 to 232 - A very boring and uninspired ride. Not much else to say.

4. Rt 232 from 302 to 2 - I love finding new (to me) and fun roads that I've never been on, and this road is a shining example. It goes through the Groton State Park and, according to my GPS, has a speed limit of 50 all the way through, which IMO seems to surpass its actual navigability. That's not to say you can't do it at 50, not at all, but it seems extremely twisty with major quick hills to have such a fast speed limit, which is excellent since you can speed slightly over the limit and have some major fun on this road. Pavement seems brand new, I could still smell the tar with the window open. The road winds every which way through the forest and seems to wind up a mountain and down the other side. Very little traffic on a Thursday at about 4:30PM, and no enforcement in sight. Highly recommended road!

5. Rt 2 from 232 to I89 - Very scenic road, very beautiful and relaxed drive and some fun long sweeping turns and fast hills. More of a scenery ride than anything, I took it because we did our vacation in the opposite direction last year except took all of Rt 2 to St Johnsbury and it was a very nice ride in the fall.

6. Isle La Motte - Can't forget all the tight curves heading into the island. If you're making your Sunday ride up through the islands, you can't ignore these curves. Just be warned - you dump it or lose control and you'll end up right in the swamp or lake

7. Smugglers Notch - We hit this up on our way home. Very sparse traffic for a Friday, I was pretty amazed at the lack of out-of-state cars. I practically got all the curves to myself. I even got a couple of BMW GS riders hanging on my tail enjoying the corners with me. Road conditions haven't really changed from last year. They're still pretty decent, I imagine due to the lack of plowing.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by SRTie4k; 08-19-10 at 12:07 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Re: Recommended roads and reports

232 isn't worth it don't bother...stay away it has a high AIDS content...for every pass you make 10 puppies die.....DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!

Am I treading in secret road waters?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Don't know.... I'm just bein' selfish...

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    No not really this is the 3rd time it has been re-paved since 2001.

2 winters and the top coat is a crumbled rock pile again.

Watch out for fish police in there because of the state park and have a blast .

It is best run SouthEast from Plainville to Groton.

TIMMYDUCK

232 has always been a favorite of mine, as i grew up in that area, but its been bumpy for the last few years. i took a rip on it the other day...awesome!

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

I've got to ride 232 soon. Last fall I was on it and it had massive bumps. Airborne over more than one. I grew up there myself and still like to take the short hike up to the top of Owl's Head.

2010 Ducati 848 DARK
    2005 HD XL1200R
    1984 BMW R100cs
    1979 Triumph 750 Bonneville
    Don't be afraid of the dark side

the new pavement makes the trip from up here in essex totally worth it!

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f

Just got done checking the weather report so it's 232 Saturday. Always get a kick out of the ride from downtown Groton to Rickers pond. Used to ride my bicycle there to go swimming when I was a kid. Lot better without peddles

2010 Ducati 848 DARK
    2005 HD XL1200R
    1984 BMW R100cs

Re: Recommended roads and reports232

Rte. 132 between Rtes. 14 and 5 has been repaved in the bad parts. 140 is worth the trip. 302 from Barre over the mountain is freshly paved. 143 is great now. Brownsville Rd is still in good shape. Rte. 113 has just been paved, then take a left onto Goose Green Road. At the T intersection hang a right or left (Chelsea Road or Brook Road depending on your initial turn.Go back and forth several times. Finish on 25 and head north to 302. Take a left onto 302 and then right onto 232. Rinse. Repeat. Oh yeah, 16 has been repaved this year,too.

Quote Originally Posted by darkduc7 View Post
    232 has always been a favorite of mine, as i grew up in that area, but its been bumpy for the last few years. i took a rip on it the other day...awesome!
    You grew up in the Groton area?

I've been in topsham / Corinth / Bradford area since I was about 5, minus the 4 year stint in Burlington for school.

As for 232, put a knee down a few weeks ago out there

Tis a slick road, but was usually too nasty so I never rode it much, might have to get nice and acquainted with it to get the knees down even more

Last edited by Slyder; 08-19-10 at 07:47 PM.

I just came back from some of those roads ,decide to ride midweek hoping there would be less traffic .

Kanc = Lincoln to Conway was Ok a few parts were bumpy ,pavement starting to crumble . did not take Bear Notch road maybe next time .

16 = never rode it till yesterday ,not bad at all nice sweeping long turns especially just before Wildcat .

302 = Boring

and last but not least ,rode up to the top of Mnt Washington the ride was scary but the vies were worth it .

Live to Ride and Ride to Live

Quote Originally Posted by Stinger157 View Post
    Even if it was t-shirts and jeans, I'd wear ATGATT, you're wearing leather pants,jacket, boots and gloves!

been up and down 232 several times since it was paved,awsome road.
    Another awsome freshly paved road is rte114 going out of Island Pond all the way to Stuartstown nh.I ran it a couple times,did see some boarder patrols at 70+ mph and i guess they werent interested.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    You grew up in the Groton area?

I've been in topsham / Corinth / Bradford area since I was about 5, minus the 4 year stint in Burlington for school.

As for 232, put a knee down a few weeks ago out there

Tis a slick road, but was usually too nasty so I never rode it much, might have to get nice and acquainted with it to get the knees down even more
    well, not in groton, but barre and plainfeild. i always camped in groton growing up, rode snowmobiles out there, rode bikes out there, ect. so real familiar with it and have lots of memories.

the girlfreinds parents live on 232 as well, soooo, i dont complain when she wants to visit

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f

I was talking to some of the guys at bike night and was surprised to hear that some had not ridden rte 17 or App Gap. How many of you haven't tried it?

2010 Ducati 848 DARK
    2005 HD XL1200R
    1984 BMW R100cs

Is 125 still 1/2 dirt ?

Quote Originally Posted by Stromper View Post
    Is 125 still 1/2 dirt ?
    If I'm thinking of the right road then it was as of like 2 weeks ago. Got a chance to go to 232 today though, and it was a lot of fun. Plenty of gravel in the right handers from trailers and such, but it was predictable. I'll definitely be back before the end of the season

Quote Originally Posted by SV650N View Post
    If I'm thinking of the right road then it was as of like 2 weeks ago. Got a chance to go to 232 today though, and it was a lot of fun. Plenty of gravel in the right handers from trailers and such, but it was predictable. I'll definitely be back before the end of the season
    +1 -- that was a fun ride.

It also included Powder Spring Rd, the twisty sections of which are also freshly repaved.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Powder Spring rd finally got paved finally?

It was most to all dirt from Groton to Topsham and I not knowing that decided to take it a few weeks ago. Wow did I get some odd looks from the locals. Guess they weren't expecting to see a gixxer 1k come buzzing through, much less one doing 50-60mph on dirt.

I don't know about the more eastern sections, but a good chunk of what was gravel when I road 125 a few weeks ago was nice, fresh pavement on Friday. Still obvious signs of construction, though, so I'd assume they're not done yet.