Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

VT guys, I just bought a dirty bike.

Cool VT guys, I just bought a dirty bike.

Bought this bike at auction last night (anyone happen to recognize it?).

But now what? Do I really even want a dirty bike? Should I get a brake light conversion kit for it and plate it? Should I just flip it?

If I do flip it, I want to run the Bayley Hazen road first!

2002 WR 250

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: VT guys, I just bought a dirty bike.

How much would you sell it for?

I've been able to find a good number of local-ish guys who trail ride on a very regular basis. The CCC has a few rides each year ( https://www.cccofvt.org/ ). I went on one earlier this year expecting a slow woods pace. I was highly impressed with the trails/class 4 roads that they went on despite some of the regular riders being disappointed in the higher-than average number of road miles. Holy shit did they blast down the trails! It was all I could do struggling to keep up with the quicker riders. It was a plated bike event.

There are lots of good trails near my place in Monkton if you want to go play some time. No license plate needed but there's about 3 miles of dirt road riding to get there. It hasn't been an issue yet riding a non-plated bike, I just behave so as to not piss off the neighbors.

I'm not going to discuss how legal my plated bike is but let's just say it wouldn't pass inspection. I don't do a lot of road riding anyway, it's not good for the knobbies. Get a plate for it and ride it. See if you like it.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Definitely plate it; unplated dirtbikes aren't terribly useful in Vermont because there are no public trails that allow motorcycles. You have to either know people with private property or ride illegally. Trail systems like the one near John's house are pretty few and far between, and I'm guessing it's mostly on private land and the owners don't care who rides there.

On the other hand, there are lots of great dirt roads in Vermont (like the Bayley Hazen), and those require a plated bike.

Speaking of the Bayley Hazen, the usual crew and I have been talking about riding it this fall (contingent on Adam getting his KLR's idle issue sorted out, and Keith getting the XT done, and maybe David coming up for a weekend...). I'll keep you posted.

--mark

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Definitely plate it! If you want some help getting it plate worthy let me know, I have something I might need powdercoated......

2021 Yamaha Tenere 700 - Street, 2018 Kawasaki Ninja 400 - track