Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

VTBN invades NH...

VTBN invades NH...

Awesome day today. Headed out with the Ginger Twins and my friend Dan to ride the Kancamagus Highway. Road conditions were variable -- the Kanc was in pretty good shape, but a lot of the other roads were badly frost-heaved, and some had lots of sand.

There's still a lot of snow at the top of the pass:

The Ginger Twins seemed to have a good time.

From there we dropped down into Conway, where it must have been nearly 70 degrees, then headed back over the Kanc and took Rt 118 down to Warren and Wentworth, then back roads over to South Royalton and the Rochester Gap over to 100. 335 miles total for me. Great early-season ride.

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-ST7377/1.59.502.3 (67150) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

i hate you and everyone else who was privvyed enough to ride and not work 10-8 today

Re: VTBN invades NH...

If it makes you feel any better, I worked 8-6 yesterday when it was sunny and 66 degrees here.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Nice picture . We rode from Portland ME and back

Dare I ask how 118 was?

And what way did you go to SoRo? How was it?

If a friend had come up from Bwastun, that pull off on the Kanc was my destination. He bailed and then the clouds came and so didn't a nice temp drop, so yea I stayed home.

Quote Originally Posted by tdiloren View Post
    Nice picture . We rode from Portland ME and back
    Ha, I recognize those bikes. We passed you guys twice going in opposite directions.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    Dare I ask how 118 was?

And what way did you go to SoRo? How was it?

118 was rough as hell. Badly broken up, frost-heaved, and sandy. I was actually kind of having fun on it with the V-Strom's longer-travel suspension, except for the fact that it immediately made me have to take a piss and then tortured me for the next 10 miles.

We took 113, Tucker Hill Rd, and 132 over to 14 to get to SoRo. Ironically, Tucker Hill Rd was in the best shape, despite it being the most minor road. 113 and 132 were both broken up and frost-heaved.

--mark

The twisties were amazing!!!!! I want to ride the Kanc again when the rodes clear up and the frost heaves disapate.

GT2

What night is Burlington BIKE NIGHT?!?!?!?!?!

TUESDAY...!!!!!!!!!!

I figured 118 would be nasty. It needs a repave bad. Sucky about 132 as well, it got redone not too long ago and was sweet after.

Was curious if you guys came this way and took Chelsea Rd. Damnit now I'll have to go exploring, not really much choice just the same, anytime I head west....that's my route over the hill.

There is actually some nice twisties in this here area.

116 from RT 10 in Haverhill to 112 is nice. The 500 million sq foot log cabin out there is a site to see. Not uncommon to see a helo sitting on the lawn out front in the summer

I checked Chelsea road last week. The west half is not too bad, just dusty. The east side is still not so great. Frost heaves and sand-just like every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    I figured 118 would be nasty. It needs a repave bad. Sucky about 132 as well, it got redone not too long ago and was sweet after.
    132 wasn't nearly as bad as 113.

116 from RT 10 in Haverhill to 112 is nice.
    Yeah, that's the way we headed over to the Kanc. 116 is in rough shape too, especially towards the end. Lots of places where there were big sand bars across the road -- thankfully not in any turns, but a few come up on you unexpectedly and can produce some heart palpitations. Also, that one big decreasing-radius curve to the left had sand on the outside edge, which got my heart going as I suddenly had to tighten my line mid-curve.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Ha, I recognize those bikes. We passed you guys twice going in opposite directions.

--mark
    Hi VTBNers, I had a hunch you guys were NESRians after the 2nd pass.

Greetings from the Portland, ME Tag Team.

Current Rides:
    08 Ninja ZX-14
    02 VMAX 1200
    10 VMAX ZR-1700 (Factory closed course competition ECU)
    05 ZX-6R (636) (The modified trackday scooter, but still registered for the street)

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Yeah, that's the way we headed over to the Kanc. 116 is in rough shape too, especially towards the end. Lots of places where there were big sand bars across the road -- thankfully not in any turns, but a few come up on you unexpectedly and can produce some heart palpitations. Also, that one big decreasing-radius curve to the left had sand on the outside edge, which got my heart going as I suddenly had to tighten my line mid-curve.

--mark
    The left hander at the bottom of the hill that exits back up a hill, as you head towards 112? It was gamey the last time I was there 2 weeks ago. Those roads clear up nicely though. Those curves by that log...mansion? are nice though.

When you hit 112, if you went left (west) back towards 302...wow. Patches of sand across both lanes, probably over 50 yards long. Looks like two dump trucks got into a tangle out there. Ya ask me how I know that section of 112 sucks like usual

I was going to ask about 118 as well. Soon as I read you were on it this early I was curious.

That thing never really "recovered" from last season. I was on it late in the year and it was pretty bad, let alone so soon this year.

Good to see some photos. I was lazy this winter and just got the winter work done this weekend. Looking forward to the season.

2006 Triumph 675
    2002 Yamaha R6 Track Bitch

Too bad to hear 132 sucks now. I hit it last year and aside from a few spots around Campbell Corner, most of it was pretty smooth and a lot of fun. The western portion was freshly paved when I went through.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Chelsea Mt. Rd. was excellent today, sand at the crest, a bit dusty on the west side. 132 is starting to smooth out a bit. It's either really great or really bumpy.
    Took Rte 5 to Barton, and then 16 South to Hardwick. Lots of 5 has been repaved, I think last year. I had never ridden 16 before-I will be going back. Planning a route over to 25c with Jake.
    112 still sucked on St. Patrick's day when I was over there. Just thought I'd p[ass it on. I've done around 750 miles in the last 3 days.