Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wonderful... here we go...

Wonderful... here we go...

Loud-pipes proposal in the Vermont legislature...
    http://motorcycle-vermont.com/front-...es-discussion/

My V-Strom will pass because the exhaust is bone stock... but my Triumph would fail spectacularly. So would your Ducati, Doc. And your SV, Keith. And your Aprilia, Bill. And your EX500, Adam. And your SV would make the testing equipment cry, David....

--mark

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Re: Wonderful... here we go...

“If there is a better way to solve this issue, then I’m all for it”, Sharpe said.

How 'bout Harden the fuck up, bitch......

Before you stock exhaust only supporting weiners climb up my ass, I live a few hundred yards from Wilkins HD and listen to those fucking rattletraps all summer long.....

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

My own view on the issue is that some bikes (such as Harleys with open pipes) are unreasonably loud, but the proposed law is unreasonably restrictive.

My Triumph is a good example: I had to replace the silencers because one of the original ones rusted out and shot the baffle out the back. So I chose an exhaust that sounds good without being unreasonably loud, and that has big performance benefits as well along with pod filters on the carbs. The only way I would have been able to fit an OEM exhaust would have been to order replacement silencers from Triumph, which would have cost $150 MORE than the much nicer, all-stainless-steel ones I got... which are nowhere near as loud as the Harleys that are the main culprits behind this kind of legislation.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

"Sharpe said that complaints about loud motorcycles from Bristol residents – especially those who live on VT-17 –motivated him to sponsor the bill. “It’s unfortunate when a few impinge upon the enjoyment of other residents”, Sharpe said."

Every time I ride the App Gap on the Bristol side I cringe for the owners of that one house on the first straight.

You know that every bike who rides by that house has the thing pinned.

We made our own bed, unfortunately.

I'm sure this has as much to do with sportbikes as it has to do with Harleys.

Well the picture in the article sure is misleading. That appears to be a nickle plated OEM exhaust from an old gixxer. Right where that 40 pound thing belongs, IN the trash.

Nice job whomever chose the pic.

Thanks Mark, for not mentioning my bike.. I guess I get a pass?

I can ride my bike through a trap at 45mph, but 45mph in 6th gear will not make the same db's as 45 in 1st gear.

80 db limit. I wonder if Mr Sharpe realizes that a room with a few people in it, having a conversation, makes 70-75 db's.

I bet the same people whining near RT 17, are also the same people who drive their cages with the windows down on the highway.... "Motorcycle safety advocates contend that typical wind noise at highway speeds usually measure up to 103 decibels, which are comparable to the noise created by a running chainsaw"

What I find funny about these arguments is no one seems to understand that us as riders are "biased" in favor of motorcycle noise. But I bet if the dude who lived next to you insisted on playing his drums, or mowing his lawn at 2am everyone would be all in favor of noise restrictions.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    What I find funny about these arguments is no one seems to understand that us as riders are "biased" in favor of motorcycle noise. But I bet if the dude who lived next to you insisted on playing his drums, or mowing his lawn at 2am everyone would be all in favor of noise restrictions.
    Not a good comparison. The afore mentioned road, does not see straight piped harleys and rice rockets bouncing off of rev limiters at 2am.

And many areas already have restrictions to prevent excessive noise after hours. At 2am tonight fire your tard up and put it to the limiter, see how long it takes for the cops to show up

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    Not a good comparison. The afore mentioned road, does not see straight piped harleys and rice rockets bouncing off of rev limiters at 2am.
    Wanna bet? Im willing to bet it does. More my point is that we are accepting of the noise because we like it. If it were a noise that we DONT like, then I'm sure we'd be in favor of noise restrictions.

Zip Tie Alley #505

But I bet if the dude who lived next to you insisted on playing his drums, or mowing his lawn at 2am everyone would be all in favor of noise restrictions.
    People riding their motorcycles at 2am is not the issue.

Other thing is, though, that up here in Vermont we've got plenty of pickup trucks with fat exhaust pipes and straight-through mufflers, and they make at least as much noise as all but the loudest bikes. But no one seems to be going after them.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27
    Thanks Mark, for not mentioning my bike.. I guess I get a pass?
    Sorry Corey, couldn't remember how loud your bike is...

--mark

Last edited by markbvt; 02-18-10 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    People riding their motorcycles at 2am is not the issue.
    Agreed, but I love bikes, and some of the fucking ones on the road are WAAAAYYY too loud.
    And maybe not relevant to this discussion, I dont think my sewing machine could make 80 db, but more the "restrictions of motorcycle noise" threads that pop up every month or so.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Agreed, but I love bikes, and some of the fucking ones on the road are WAAAAYYY too loud.
    Agreed, people should exercise a little courtesy. Running straight pipes is really not necessary...

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Agreed, people should exercise a little courtesy. Running straight pipes is really not necessary...

--mark
    Straight pipes, D&Ds running at 14000rpm through a neighborhood. Agreed. And this is where noise restrictions come from.

Zip Tie Alley #505

I'm all in favor of noise restrictions at reasonable hours, when I leave the house at 6am or come back at midnight, I'm doing my damndest to keep the noise down as much as I can. Not that it really works, but hey. However, during the day it shouldn't bother anyone. Lots of people live near main roadways, and there are plenty of pickup trucks and other cars that are louder than many bikes. Not to mention semi trailers jakebraking on downhills.

An unreasonable noise restriction only on motorcycle exhausts is a pointless move, and just one step closer to totalitarian restrictions on any kind of freedoms we still have left. Then again, what do I care-

Last edited by Doc; 02-20-10 at 08:00 PM.
    SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

Hmm didn't see this until today. I can understand placing restrictions on excessively loud exhausts, Harley's being the main culprit. I'm not trying to be biased towards sport bikes, but I can honestly say around my area there are VERY few extremely loud sportbikes. My Laser's are barely louder than stock, all they really do is give the exhaust a "deeper" sound at throttle. Idle is still extremely quiet.

Well whatever happens, at least the guy with the straight-pipe Harley that rides by my place every morning at wide open throttle at 2AM will be somewhat inconvenienced. That's to say he actually gets inspected or caught.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

It really is the harleys with the straight pipes that are stupid loud. I live on a state highway, if 4-5 rice rockets go by at arrest me speeds, I can barely hear them from inside the house. A straight piped harley goes by and I can hear it plain as day, the house shakes, windows rattle and then I can still hear it awhile after.

Rice rockets make a buzz and you can't hear then anymore.
    But they are all two wheeled, therefore they are all evil.

I honestly think that 80db limit is a joke.

Lets have some fun with the microfiche. My bike came with dual cans and the cat box. If I dropped the bike on the right side...

Muffler $738.52
    Connecting pipe $226.36
    Stupid piece of trim $168.06

cat box, if damaged $703.75

Add in another $100 for clamps bolts and seals and other small bits.

Well, that just got my bike totaled by my insurance company, even though I picked it up and rode it home without any problems.

What did replacing all that cost me, from M4, who is an American company? $600 for a midpipe and carbon canister. Who goes out of business, if companies like M4 can only cater to racers and the like? Another American company.

Makes you wonder what would happen with insurance rates and all that. I certainly wouldn't fix the bike myself and pay for the OEM exhaust parts out of my pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyder27 View Post
    Rice rockets make a buzz and you can't hear then anymore.
    My TL1000 would argue that point......

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

^^ Agreed with the SV. Twins are about as far from 'buzzing' as you can get without owning a 600lb hog...

SVenpointsixtwo
    2016 Honda CRF1000L Africa Twin
    2015 KTM 350 XCF-W

I have heard a couple extremely loud sportbikes but they're few and far between, at least around here.

But I guess this is what happens when the state is overrun by retirees from Mass/CT/NJ/NY and the out-of-state trust-fund babies who run for office, get elected, and make our state cater to vacationers and old rich bastards who have nothing better to do but find ways to complain about their intrusion of their peace and quiet.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

I don't know how they can actually enforce something like this...at least in terms of custom bikes, like Daviid's, where stock pipes are not a re-install option, or like mine where my exhaust is a factory option that came with the bike, so it is the "stock" system. I understand the issue, and respect peoples opinions, but I look at this the same as freedom as speech.

Sorry noners, but ch'all gonna have to deal with it...either that or I want legislation across the board for motorsports...from snowmobiles to muscle cars. God forbid if we make a little noise.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Ok Snake and 7.62 win, BUT you guys know damn well neither of your bikes compare to a 1200 sportster with shorty straight pipes. I have yet to see Snakes, but 7.62? not a bad sound from the SV. I shoulda said rice rockets make a buzz with the occasional roar in the mix

But I agree, there are some stupid loud exhausts on I-4 bikes. Racefit mega and Growler. I know the growler is rated at 130db.

Remember on T rd, we saw that same guy twice with the IOR? exhaust. That is as bad as a Racefit. Those exhausts...by all means take them off the friggin market.

They claim "closed course competition use only" for them...but whats the decibel limit at race tracks? Using those exhausts on tracks, at least in the USA will get you kicked out of the race / trackday, unless you know who has the db meter and you short shift the bike as you go by him.

Sorry snake and 7.62...hopefully in a few months I'll be adding my first twin to the stable...so I won't neglect the twin love from then on

Twins are wonderful...err wait, I meant motersickles

Last edited by Slyder; 02-20-10 at 05:58 PM.

My TL sounds kinda like a Black Hawk helicopter.......

TimmyB can confirm or deny.

Last edited by Uncle Snake; 02-20-10 at 06:06 PM.
    Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Snake View Post
    My TL sounds kinda like a Black Hawk helicopter.......

TimmyB can confirm or deny.
    And it won't be toooooo loud, you have 22? inch cans, not the 12 inchers like most companies are turning out today.

But who cares about that, best looking TL I've ever seen...by far. I remember the other thread and the pics. Hawt

Thanks Corey

Jake
    2006 ZX-10R
    1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100

If they are worried about general noise pollution what's next? Trucks using jake brakes must be pushing the db limit. As a matter of fact, why stop at just street legal vehicles. Dirt bikes, snowmobiles, shit throw lawnmowers into the mix. They all contribute to noise pollution.

I love government regulation. They'll need to train every LEO how to properly test for the appropriate db limit. How much will that alone cost?

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

I think I'm just going to say F* It and ride around in 1st and 2nd all the time.

My kawi's not that loud though, so, uh...

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast