Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Anybody have the Yamaha tool with part # YM-4106

Question Anybody have the Yamaha tool with part # YM-4106

It's one of the tappet adjuster tools that they have, but it apparently isn't the common one. It's for a 1990 XT350, though I believe it was used on other engines as well. I need to swap the shims, and I will resort to doing it without the tool, but I figured I would see if anybody has one that I can borrow. I found it for about $100 new, but I paid $500 for the bike and this service alone is already costing me a fair amount (sprockets, chain, intake boots, spark plug, fuel petcock) so I'd rather not buy a tool for a bike that I will probably be selling within a year or two.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

Re: Anybody have the Yamaha tool with part # YM-4106

It would probably be worth talking to Dan over at Roadside and asking him if you could just borrow/rent the tool. Or asking Paul if the Daily Rider has one.

How far out of spec are the valves?

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

Re: Anybody have the Yamaha tool with part # YM-4106

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    It would probably be worth talking to Dan over at Roadside and asking him if you could just borrow/rent the tool. Or asking Paul if the Daily Rider has one.

How far out of spec are the valves?

--mark
    Already talked to Roadside, they said they have the tool they were kind enough to let me know that I can bring it there to get the work done. I was going to talk to Paul tomorrow, but I figured I would toss this up there as I would like to gain the experience, and this engine is the perfect one to do it on. I also don't want to spend money on labor, since I have the luxury of the garage and allowing the bike to sit in pieces while I get my shit together.

Hard to say exactly how far off the valves are, but less than .003 mms off (spec is 0.013-0.017(?), measured to be 0.010-0.013) on both exhaust valves. One intake valve was loose, and one may have been just out of spec, also loose (not as worried about those). I figure it could use a bit of a tune up, so I'm cleaning and adjusting the carbs (hence the intake boots, since one was ripped and one was torn off of the bike, possibly by me ), changing the spark plug, replacing the chain and sprockets, etc, and if I'm going to go through all of that trouble I should just do the valves as well.

Last edited by NobodySpecific; 06-20-11 at 03:13 PM.
    '06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350