Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Is THAT what a 125GP ride is like?

Is THAT what a 125GP ride is like?

So, I got a couple sessions in during yesterday's LAPS track day on the CRF70, and had a ball. Because of the more open passing rules, I actually got to 'drop the hammer' with the 70 and see how it'd stack up vs larger machines. Corners like a dream, with happy fun crazy corner speed, and was more than happy to go off the line to make clean passes on the outside of turns. On the other hand, I think the only things slower than me on the front straight were RS50 and TTR125. Had a ball in the dry session I got in, I'd start at the back of the freight train, work my way to the front by turn 12, and everyone would blitz me down the front to setup a fresh round of passing for turn 1. If the Schmit bothers were close to on pace, the 70 wasn't that far behind them once they got some clear track.

Of course, this was all with the 70 on the verge of failure, valve springs were loosing their temper so I couldn't rev out fully, and my clutch was letting go pretty badly towards the end as well. So I came home debating about the next round of mods, a steering stabilizer to help with the front straight shimmy, and various mild to crazy motor builds to get my top speed up on the front straight to something more acceptable.

Started thinking a little more, and I'm wondering if what I was experiencing was essentially how a small GP bike tackles the track? Rail the turns, able to safely move offline to make passes when needed without dropping corner speed too much, and not a whole hell of a lot of 'umph' on the straights? I'm debating about just making a quick repair to the motor on the 70, put the short track gearing on it, and finding a small two stroke to learn on... I've always fancied a RS125... I'm kinda curious how a dirt 125 made up ala a Supermono conversion would fare in comparison as I know I can get one cheap? Would either option handle the same way, or do they do the deed with a different feel?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Is THAT what a 125GP ride is like?

Dude, you have no idea...

A real 125GP bike is in a whole different league. The motor is not underpowered in any way. It's good for 140mph. The bike weighs 160 lbs and is stiffer than a 600. potential corner speeds are the highest of any 2 wheeled racing machine.

It's exciting to ride. If you're inder 150 lbs, it's nirvana!

Paul_E_D

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    If you're inder 150 lbs, it's nirvana!
    150lbs?

Josh you can have someone on the back as well.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    If you're inder 150 lbs, it's nirvana!
    Woohoo! Thats me!

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

On tuesday after my M2 shit the bed, I wanted to take out my TTR 125 motard, but it was advised against. I thought it would be fun as hell to take that bike out on to a real track.

Quote Originally Posted by l3uddha View Post
    what?! you tell me not to get one and now you want one?! for shame!!!
    I didnt say I wanted one. I said I fit the description. That being said, I wouldnt turn down an offer to ride one

Zip Tie Alley #505

that was for kurlon, but now that I think about it, you too!

if you can get a ride on one Josh I'd do that before making any decisions. I've read a lot of stuff about people trying to get GP bike weight and numbers out of something else and it's never "quite right".
    Race the GS! : )

If I do luck into a 125 GP machine, it won't be replacing the GS, just supplementing it. With my budget though, I'll more likely try making a trackday only abomination out of a 125 MX machine. : )

that was for kurlon, but now that I think about it, you too!
    Ill be just fine with my dirtbike, thank you very much

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by eboos View Post
    On tuesday after my M2 shit the bed, I wanted to take out my TTR 125 motard, but it was advised against. I thought it would be fun as hell to take that bike out on to a real track.
    HA! That was me on the Aprilia RS50 and TTR125. When the rain really came down, I put rain tires on the TTR and took it out. Undergeared and slow as hell on teh straight, but it was full throttle passing on the outside everywhere else.

And the RS50 is all about cornerspeed. While it's geared correctly and and has a 68cc kit on it, it badly needs rings. Only has around 10hp when its running well.

Track was too damn slick to take my streetbike out. Ended up crashing the Aprilia in T11 after passing a bunch of people in 9/10. Picked it back up, bump started it, and got back on the track.