Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

1st gen sv650 doctor/whisperer needed

1st gen sv650 doctor/whisperer needed

i have a gremlin to chase down in my bike and am looking for suggestions to a possible cause of issue. I don't want to chase my tail on this one. and would appreciate the suggestions of some of you sv vets

Issue: while warming my bike up for round 1 this season, one of my team mates for some reason decided to point a laser temp gage at my exhaust headers. for some reason my front exhaust header was toping out at at temp of 120. but rear was at 350. we tore in to the bike cleaned carbs, changed coil, checked spark plug and compression. all good (compression was low but not too low 120s).
    we couldn't find issue so i raced it as is. i noticed no noticeable difference from last year so i assumed that it has been this way since i brought it last year. i'm not getting passed in the middle of the straight by other sv's so I'm thinking it cant be too underpowered.
    I raced the bike in round 2 as it is also. No smell of unburned fuel, only miss fires in two places on track. at apex of 1 and out of 10. other than that no signs of fuel not being burned so m assuming that cylinder is firing. But I would like to fix it or know this is why before i ruin the engine, or possibly hurt my self if it locks up. Please share any ideas anyone has as to a cause.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS/CCS AM# 240
    Sponsored by: Smoke Shack Southern BBQ - StreetAndComp.com - AXO - Woodcraft

Re: 1st gen sv650 doctor/whisperer needed

Sounds like you'd better take it easy at the Classic. Especially in Friday race 2 and Sunday races 2 and 5.

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I'd bet that the idle circuit is clogged. That would mean it'll fire all the time at throttle, but not at idle.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

idle circuit? not familiar with term. If it pertains to the carbs we went threw those with a fine tooth comb. cleaned every nook and cranny even the built in fuel filter.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'd bet that the idle circuit is clogged. That would mean it'll fire all the time at throttle, but not at idle.

LRRS/CCS AM# 240
    Sponsored by: Smoke Shack Southern BBQ - StreetAndComp.com - AXO - Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by Roland View Post
    idle circuit? not familiar with term. If it pertains to the carbs we went threw those with a fine tooth comb. cleaned every nook and cranny even the built in fuel filter.
    Yes, it's part of the carb.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Does the difference in temp get closer when you choke the bike? If so, then Clayton's advice of the idle circuit is most likely the culprit. I'd say to pull the carbs again and run a thin wire through the pilot jets. Also, which the jets to see if they're both the same size.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |