Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Turn 2

Turn 2

Just curious. Did anyone else hit their shoulder on the red/orange air barrier in the new turn 2.

I have heard of one other besides myself.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS/CCS AM 636

Re: Turn 2

No, but that was a tight exit for sure.....

Is it a different turn yet? What's the new layout like?

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Is it a different turn yet? What's the new layout like?
    Fresh pavement on the inside of the old pavement... it seems to have good grip but there is a definite bump onto and off of it that felt a little hairy for sure. I found myself taking the old line a lot of the time.

Basically the curbing/line moved in a couple feet. They only marked it with tape for the races and put in the airfences to stop people from going inside the tape... they are looking at a removable curbing for permanence.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

not much different at all, just curbless.

instead of a concave bermuda traingle, it's a much bigger convex triangle... mentally the best line is about 18"-2 ft in from the tip of the triangle (closest to nascar wall), the fast guys seemed to be going tighter, where the "hump" was bigger. I saw the turn for the first time in a race, and only 8 times after that... but that was my take.

Very similiar feeling in how you eventually end up coming back out onto the back straight. Trying to cut it tight, even on the SV, did evoke some serious leaned all the way over wheelie/rear slide combination carnival fun ride. But my line has always been very direct out to the wall, good or bad. The turn seems to be moved "back and to the right" a little so exiting 1A you have to finish the turn a little more.

Over all not much difference.

CCS LRRS #454

Red/orange air barrier? I thought it was blue ... and yes, I plowed my head and left shoulder right into the first air barrier hard in F40 on Saturday. Why they put the barrier right on the edge of the turn is beyond me. I noticed they moved it back away from the corner for Sunday's practices and races.

John
    CCS/LRRS Expert #69
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2004
    "Speed has a kind of affinity for me, it's the time God and I have our little talks."

not this guy <

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    Red/orange air barrier? I thought it was blue ... and yes, I plowed my head and left shoulder right into the first air barrier hard in F40 on Saturday. Why they put the barrier right on the edge of the turn is beyond me. I noticed they moved it back away from the corner for Sunday's practices and races.
    Yeah, the first one was blue, the middle/second one was red, right at the apex.

LRRS/CCS AM 636

Quote Originally Posted by zx1012r View Post
    Very similiar feeling in how you eventually end up coming back out onto the back straight. Trying to cut it tight, even on the SV, did evoke some serious leaned all the way over wheelie/rear slide combination carnival fun ride. But my line has always been very direct out to the wall, good or bad. The turn seems to be moved "back and to the right" a little so exiting 1A you have to finish the turn a little more.

Over all not much difference.
    Hmmm... I've always been a huge proponent of finishing 1a before heading for the apex of 2. It requires a quick turn in, but allows the drive out of T2 to start well before the apex and doesn't require that extra turning I see so many people try up on the banking at WOT.

Paul_E_D

Hmmm... I've always been a huge proponent of finishing 1a before heading for the apex of 2. It requires a quick turn in, but allows the drive out of T2 to start well before the apex and doesn't require that extra turning I see so many people try up on the banking at WOT.
    sounds like my line that was working! I was outdriving lots of bikes coming out of 2 with this method, a few people using me as a carrot caught on... The pucker potential went up in the cones for T3 braking though if and when you go in side by side with somebody coming in from the wall.

It's great for both passing and clean hot laps IMHO.

Paul_E_D

Yeah, I wouldn't suggest my line on a big bike!

I'm not heading right at the wall, but am making a long arching turn at WOT through there. Definately wider than a lot of people.

My absolute strongest corner at Loudon is turn 1. I can go pretty fast through there ;-) But I sacrifice some of it in my line through 1A and therefore 2. The front absolutely plows through 1A and therefore I can't seem to finish the corner. Obviously this could be changed by slowing through 1 slightly. But it is sooooo much fun attacking people coming in there it's like a drug I can't stop taking. It's the one part of the track I can claim as my own most of the time.

I need a 12 step program.

1. Finish turn 1A
    2. Turn in to 2 with a shallower tragectory
    3. Get on throttle way before apex

Just have to figure this out without losing my fun time in 1!

CCS LRRS #454

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

I backed out a click of rebound on the rear to handle the transitions. + The closer you could get to the air fence the better.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Mark, I agree attacking in 1 is great, but I think there's time in T2. I was pretty fast through there in my day, and I still used the wider setup. Finishing 1 better might be the answer. I find the new section does not flow like it used to... which is a bummer on a small bike.

Paul_E_D

Mark, I agree attacking in 1 is great, but I think there's time in T2. I was pretty fast through there in my day, and I still used the wider setup. Finishing 1 better might be the answer. I find the new section does not flow like it used to... which is a bummer on a small bike.
    Yeah, Paul, When I follow Ricky through 2 he is way down in the middle of the track shooting toward 3. That's kind of how I figured out I wasn't getting turned in 1A enough. His line isn't that much different through 1A, but he is a lot more confident on the side of the tire at WOT exiting 2. (Same kinda thing through 10, I go way wide, he stays tight) I got a little lazy riding the EX500 being able to whack the throttle earlier through 2 and it has translated to the SV, but the SV is harder to keep turning under throttle.

I usually (other than this weekend) spend my time on the track chasing (running a production bike in non production classes) so I get used to catching people on the brakes, but I will have to try adjusting and see if I can use the best of both techniques!

I gotta do a few trackdays with you, I bet that would be a blast!

Mark.

CCS LRRS #454

Quote Originally Posted by zx1012r View Post
    Yeah, Paul, When I follow Ricky through 2 he is way down in the middle of the track shooting toward 3. That's kind of how I figured out I wasn't getting turned in 1A enough. His line isn't that much different through 1A, but he is a lot more confident on the side of the tire at WOT exiting 2. (Same kinda thing through 10, I go way wide, he stays tight) I got a little lazy riding the EX500 being able to whack the throttle earlier through 2 and it has translated to the SV, but the SV is harder to keep turning under throttle.

I usually (other than this weekend) spend my time on the track chasing (running a production bike in non production classes) so I get used to catching people on the brakes, but I will have to try adjusting and see if I can use the best of both techniques!

I gotta do a few trackdays with you, I bet that would be a blast!

Mark.
    We'd love to have you Mark!

I CW'd both days and by late Sat the bags were inching close to the white line from the hi wind, not so bad on Sunday. Personally I would rather see them further off the line if I were racing. you could always see Eric early the next sat and make suggestion.
    oh and it was almost amusing watching riders trying to figure out the pit out..