Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NJMP filing bankruptcy

NJMP filing bankruptcy

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/...?article=43572

This along with the WERA race cancellation are some pretty bad signs.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Re: NJMP filing bankruptcy

Business is tough. chapter 11 is nothing to worry about though.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Actually kinda surprising with all the various trackdays and big name events held there.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Moto View Post
    Ummm ... I tend to disagree ...

It isn't the worst financial move, but it isn't good...

Makes sense if they are having financial difficulties they couldnt see a way out of.

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Quote Originally Posted by kb1
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Moto View Post
    Ummm ... I tend to disagree ...

It isn't the worst financial move, but it isn't good...
    Fed judge takes over company, tells all creditors to get stuffed for now and company continues to operate? The alternative is usually close the doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Degsy View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Fed judge takes over company, tells all creditors to get stuffed for now and company continues to operate? The alternative is usually close the doors.
    Devil's Advocate says they screwed it up the first time. Why would take 2 be any different? This can buy some time but still things could still end in disaster.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict

Devil's Advocate says they screwed it up the first time. Why would take 2 be any different? This can buy some time but still things could still end in disaster.
    Could. But check out the k-mart story.

Yea, but it is something to worry about. I don't have statistical data but I'd wouldn't be surprised if more than half of reorgs end up in liquidation.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Seeing how you, me and every other working American is paying for it now, does that make us partial owners?
    Yaaah, free trackdays for all tax payers

Yamaha

NESR track? Let's take up a collection!!

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

Kinda my point though. KMart goes BK, turns itself around, and then stupidly merged with Sears and has been in (for the most part) a steady decline since. Sounds like they're heading down the same road again. Sears has been flirting with a BK off and on the past few years.

Is NJMP doing the same? Who knows. I certainly hope not, but it's definitely something to think about.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by R7
    Seeing how you, me and every other working American is paying for it now, does that make us partial owners?
    Huh? Taxpayers don't pay for chapter 11!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/FRF91) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of money (unpredictably) went to legal issues with the neighbors.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of money (unpredictably) went to legal issues with the neighbors.
    yeah fighting that stupid bitch that probably thinks a Prius is loud.

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    ????

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Agreed, tax payers don't pay for Chapter 11, basically a federal judge consolidates everything you owe to creditors, turns it into a termed payment, and then distributes that payment accordingly percentage wise to each creditor.

The key piece is chapter 11 on a company will usually protect the owners equity in the business. So they file bankruptcy and then sell while there is still some liquidity in the asset.

Banned

Agreed, tax payers don't pay for Chapter 11, basically a federal judge consolidates everything you owe to creditors, turns it into a termed payment, and then distributes that payment accordingly percentage wise to each creditor.

The key piece is chapter 11 on a company will usually protect the owners equity in the business. So they file bankruptcy and then sell while there is still some liquidity in the asset.
    No. They cannot sell anything. The "owner" during the reorg term is the fed judge.

No. They cannot sell anything. The "owner" during the reorg term is the fed judge.
    During the reorg term yes ... but not after when the asset now floats significantly less debt.

Either way it eliminates the owner of liability, file chapter 11 and walk away from the asset after cashing out for a few years.

Banned

During the reorg term yes ... but not after when the asset now floats significantly less debt.

Either way it eliminates the owner of liability, file chapter 11 and walk away from the asset after cashing out for a few years.
    Yes Possible I guess but I'm pretty sure past
    creditors from chap 11 have to be paid from a sale.

Yes Possible I guess but I'm pretty sure past
    creditors from chap 11 have to be paid from a sale.
    They get paid - but usually only a percentage of what they are actually owed. More than likely the ownership group has been pulling money from the track for years. Refinance - pay yourself out big dividends, show a profit, and do it again, until a revenue ceiling is hit and now you can't pay the bills anymore.

Now as an owner you are protected by the company, you have x million in your private accounts, you were "paid" that money by your company, you paid taxes on it. You're all set. File chapter 11 for the company, F the creditors, and either start all over again or unload the track for a small profit. Then use some of your x million and start another business.

Very common model in this economy where business's and their owners have wayyyy too much bankruptcy protection.

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    Very common model in this economy where business's and their owners have wayyyy too much bankruptcy protection.
    Interesting. I would like to study this further.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Not surprising. Flooding their calendar with moto dates isn't exactly good business practice. Saw this one coming for a while now.

CCS/LRRS #83

Pulled from another forum:

New Jersey Motorsports Park Announces Restructuring, Changes in Ownership
    Issues Updated Details on Chapter 11 Filing
    Millville, NJ

March 14, 2011

New Jersey Motorsports Park last week announced it had filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy, a move that caused some in the local and racing communities to question the facility's future viability. Today, NJMP released further details on its financial restructuring, and sought to clarify the circumstances and expected results of its recent actions.

Management and Ownership Changes

One of the ramifications of the recent filing is a future change to the ownership structure planned to coincide with the effective date of plan confirmation and reorganization. Lee Brahin, the Philadelphia-area real estate developer who led and oversaw the development of the entire facility, will increase his ownership stake, and will become co-managing partner of NJMP. Harvey Siegel, who has employed his expertise in running multi-use motorsports facilities such as his Virginia International Raceway to great effect at NJMP, will retain his ownership stake and will continue to work on future development concepts and activities while fostering relationships within the racing community for the Park's benefit. Former minority owner RJ Valentine will up his stake to a more significant holding, becoming co-managing partner with Brahin and assuming managerial responsibility for marketing activities at the Park.

NJMP has worked with its lender to restructure the terms of its financing agreement, providing a reduced principal balance and lower debt service - the net effect of which is that the facility will have more cash on hand for operations.

Lee Brahin, who to date has been instrumental in creating the vision for the park, master-planning and execution of permitting processes and construction, will continue to work on development activities, entitlements and high level financial and business activities of the enterprise.

He said, "We have worked in cooperation with our lender and have come up with a structure that we feel will maximize long-term value to all of the various stakeholders in the business while providing continued and expanded world-class service to our customers, Within that structure and plan, we appreciate their strong confidence in existing management. I look forward to my continued involvement in existing management during our reorganization process as well as being involved in the future management team which will feature an array of new and successful entrepreneurs with an history of success and involvement in both the automotive and racing worlds. Truly, this will be the "A" team."

Brahin continued, "We've made what I think very many of our fellow Millville and Cumberland County businesses would call a significantly positive economic impact in the region, and will continue to build partnerships around South Jersey. The more events we hold, the more of our spectators' and participants' dollars are spent in Cumberland County, and we will strive to be ideal 'anchor tenants' for the region, as we'd say in the retail development business."

Motorsports and Entrepreneurial Expertise

RJ Valentine has a long history of entrepreneurship and vast experience in the motorsports facilities business, including running two racing businesses that have weathered the financial storm of 2009-10, F1 Boston and F1 Outdoor. In a career that has spanned more than 30 years, Valentine's marketing focused-ventures have included a network of highly profitable Jiffy Lube franchises, a Massachusetts-wide insurance operation, and extensive management roles in aviation, transportation and oil and gas companies.

"While bankruptcy is always an unpleasant experience," Valentine commented, "it is a tool for businesses to use in restructuring its debt. Our mortgage lender has been fantastic in working with us to restructure the debt that NJMP assumed to get our facility built and operating. Like our lender, I have full confidence in my partners' - Lee Brahin and Harvey Siegel - abilities, leadership and vision. We are now strongly positioned to grow and increase our economic impact within the South Jersey community, and are excited to get into executing our marketing plans."

He said, "We've built an incredible management and operational team here, including our General Manager Brad Scott, who came to us with years of experience with Aramark, having overseen operations at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia, Fenway Park in Boston and Camden Yards in Baltimore. Brad and his team have continued to build NJMP's event schedule and membership through two of the toughest years, economically, of the past couple of decades, and they deserve a great deal of credit for that."

New Jersey Motorsports Park features several high-impact racing events on its 2011 Calendar, including the return of the Grand-Am Rolex Sports Car Series, AMA Pro Superbike Championship, ARCA Racing Series and the New Jersey Vintage Grand Prix, which will include a performance by the legendary US Navy Blue Angels.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Banned

Interesting. RJ Valentine is or was the owner of F1Boston.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast