Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Homologated for AMA Pro Racing Despite 636cc Displacement

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Homologated for AMA Pro Racing Despite 636cc Displacement

Not sure about how significant of an advantage will the '13 have over the '12. If you look at cycleworld's dyno comparison, it is actually pretty close, but I think the new bike is a more advance package in terms of chassis and electronics Well at least in stock trim.

The 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R has been homologated for AMA Pro Racing, making it eligible for the Daytona Sportbike and Supersport classes for 2013. The news comes as a bit of a surprise as those classes typically consist of Inline Four racebikes with a displacement smaller than 600cc.

The new Ninja ZX-6R immediately carries a displacement advantage over its I-4 competition in the class such as the Honda CBR600R, Suzuki GSX-R600 and Yamaha YZF-R1. Also eligible in those classes are the Ducati 848 (a Twin) and the Triumph Daytona 675 which uses a three-cylinder engine. The 636 will carry a weight penalty however, facing a minimum weight of 375 pounds compared to 360 pounds for the sub-600cc bikes.

The last time Kawasaki had a 636cc Ninja, it produced a 599cc ZX-6RR for competition purposes. Kawasaki did the same this time for Japan, introducing a limited production run of the 599cc Ninja ZX-6R because the 636cc version did not qualify for its domestic racing program. The AMA has decided this wasn’t necessary and gave the new, larger Ninja approval.

The 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R will also be eligible for various classes in the WERA, CCS, AFM, MRA, CVMA, CMRA and UtahSBA championships.

The competition will likely find the Ninja’s displacement advantage unfair. But this isn’t the first time AMA Pro Racing made a surprising exception to its Daytona Sportbike class. Back in 2009, the series homologated the Buell 1125R in the class, and Danny Eslick won the championship on it.

Oddly enough, the current AMA Pro Racing rule book does not list displacement limits for the Daytona Sportbike or Supersport classes. The series’ media guide does however list the eligible displacements of 600cc, 675cc, 848cc, 990cc, 1000cc, 1125cc. This is in stark contrast to the World Supersport Championship which clearly states four-cylinder engines must have displacements between 400cc and 600cc. AMA Pro Racing also reserve the right to implement restrictions such as increasing the minimum weight limit to restore competitive balance if any motorcycle prove to have an unfair edge, as was the case with Eslick and the Buell 1125R.

“Kawasaki has a strong racing heritage,” says Reid Nordin, racing senior manager. “Our Ninja brand is synonymous with success on the track. When we brought back the 636cc engine we knew there would be interest in racing and we have taken the steps necessary to have the new Ninja ZX-6R on the track and out front in 2013.”

[Source: Kawasaki]
    source: motorcycle.com

Reference:

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Homologated for AMA Pro Racing Despite 636cc Displacement-2013-kawasaki-zx-6r-dyno

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Homologated for AMA Pro Racing Despite 636cc Displaceme

The 636 has a hp advantage over the r1? Interesting.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Re: 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Homologated for AMA Pro Racing Despite 636cc Displaceme

7 more hp than my 03 636 and it weighs more, I think I'll keep mine.

I have had every 636 since they started making them & the last two zx-6's made. I can tell you it pulls much harder (more like a 750) then the other years. Also handles far better then the others as well. Telepathic streering is the best way to explain how good it steers. I have owned or ridden just about every bike out there & never encountered a bike this easy to ride. I have dynoed all my 636's & were you really notice the power difference is at 20%-80% throttle openings in the low & mid ranges. 13 rwhp gains in those areas which a 100% throttle dyno chart does not show. After you put a new exhaust on & take all the EPA junk off the new bike will be as light if not lighter. The traction control is transparent, one of the best ive ridden. On paper I didnt think it would be much differnt then my other 636's. But after I demoed the bike for a few days I was very surprised & just had to have one. I really hoped it was not much different, so I didnt have to spend more money on a new bike. I'm really looking forward to see how the bike works on the track this year. If you get a chance to test ride one you will be very surprised i'm sure.

Adrenaline Cycle
    Swansea,MA

Dyno Jet Tuning Center
    Apparel
    Fabrication
    Powder Coating
    Paint
    Service
    Engine service
    Race Bike Prep
    Used OEM Parts
    Track bike rentals

ADRENALINECYCLEINC.COM
    Like us on Facebook
    [IMG]http://www.facebook.com/AdrenalineCycle1?ref=hl

Word is the 636 will have a higher minimum weight limit compared to the I4 600's for AMA.

Last edited by a13x; 03-07-13 at 01:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    7 more hp than my 03 636 and it weighs more, I think I'll keep mine.
    7 more HP is a shitload for a middleweight. Weight can be shed easily enough. Sure the stricter 2013 emission laws have it weighed down with more crap than what was required 10 years ago.

yea, the 636 doesn't have that much torque down low compared to the 12' ZX6R so I really don't see why anyone would buy the 13' over the 12' on just the motor alone. As far as the rest of the package, maybe, yes. Plus the looks.

2006 SuzukiGSXR 1000 - Best bike so far !!
    2007 Kawasaki ZX6R
    97 Suzuki GSXR 600
    2004 Yamaha R1
    2003 Honda CBR 954RR
    1997 Kawasaki ZX7R