Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

2013 Newcomers - Racers

Re: 2013 Newcomers - Racers

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Hopefully I won't need a thing other than some tranquilizers to calm myself down.
    I hope I can entertain you, and everyone! I'm already getting pumped up about the rookie race.
    Dude, you need to start taking some deep breaths NOW. I almost had a stroke waiting for the green flag the first time. And the second time after our red flag start. And the third time (when I crashed). And the fourth time (when I won). Now I just fog the visor and guess when the flag goes up.

I hope this is sorted now but I had NO idea of what races to enter that first time. I count 65 different races from last round breaking it down by NOV/AM/EX and bike classifications and excluding ASRA/USGPRU and Legend cars/Bandoleros.
    As a Novice on an SV650 you're looking for the number 3. The rookie race (LW or lightweight), Formula 3, Starter 3, and Rookie 3. You could run in the 2's and 1's if you want to go against faster bikes (I did because I didn't know).

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Maybe... someday ... I'm not ready yet. Not out of the question ... just not now.
    Old age and treachery will always beat youth and exuberance. By being prepared, focused, and consistent you've got two thirds of the competition beat. Enjoy watching the ones you can only hope to learn from, because somebody is always faster than you. Take the high road, we're all here to have fun!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Unfortunately, at my current pace, I would be mentioned as an obstacle during track walks rather than as a racer.

Maybe... someday ... I'm not ready yet.

I honestly don't have hopes of ever being one of the "fast guys", but I'm also not OK with being unreasonably slow.
    Since my name was mentioned, I'll say a big +1 to this. I know there are some that sign up for racing even though they are slow. I've heard of the corner parking noobs. I understand that the 'fast guys' groan a little about them, but accept them anyways.

But I have positively no interest in being one of those guys. I need about a bajillion more track days before I'd feel comfortable actually racing. As it is, I'm feeling a bit trepidatious about stepping up to the intermediate track day group. I need to figure out how to twist that throttle! (Although not when exiting T2 in the rain. That I seem to have covered.)

We'll see. Maybe someday.

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    I hope this is sorted now but I had NO idea of what races to enter that first time. I count 65 different races from last round breaking it down by NOV/AM/EX and bike classifications and excluding ASRA/USGPRU and Legend cars/Bandoleros.
    As a Novice on an SV650 you're looking for the number 3. The rookie race (LW or lightweight), Formula 3, Starter 3, and Rookie 3. You could run in the 2's and 1's if you want to go against faster bikes (I did because I didn't know).
    BTW, this is the kind of stuff I lurk in these threads for. Good info.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

By the way, bit tip of the hat to you guys that took to the track this year. I'm no race fan. But I have really enjoyed the couple races I have been to this year. My impression is that ya'll have raced pretty well. And some of you are really movin' from where I watch from. Good for all of you for getting out there, staying committed, and doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Since my name was mentioned, I'll say a big +1 to this. I know there are some that sign up for racing even though they are slow. I've heard of the corner parking noobs. I understand that the 'fast guys' groan a little about them, but accept them anyways.
    I wouldnt worry about that at all. Any of the "fast" novices shouldnt be in novice. I look at novice as an intro to racing. Most people shouldnt be there for more then a few weeks never mind an entire year.

As far as trackdays are concerned. Anyone that races and shows up for trackdays should know what they are in for. I think the cut off for the Bomo fast group is 1:27. I am capable of running 1:20 on my motard. At about 100mph top speed what that means for me is I need to make my passes in spots where I can gap people on the big bikes enough so they dont have the chance to get back around me on the straights.

James

I did not take the basic course yet. Last penguin I was in the advanced course, and Eric is who convinced me that I should make the switch. The plan originally was to start next year, or maybe even do a third year of trackdays, then start the year following. I may not even be able to make it on the 13th, but now if the chance arises and everything falls into line I have a bike ready for it. Last race weekend had me kicking myself for not entering, and I'm not missing that opportunity again.

Anyway, shit's gonna get weird in novice. The goal is to win every race I enter and bump, and PB by a second. You have to set goals high, or you will always what what you could have done.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    By the way, bit tip of the hat to you guys that took to the track this year. I'm no race fan. But I have really enjoyed the couple races I have been to this year. My impression is that ya'll have raced pretty well. And some of you are really movin' from where I watch from. Good for all of you for getting out there, staying committed, and doing this.
    So see you in two weeks?

I did not take the basic course yet. Last penguin I was in the advanced course, and Eric is who convinced me that I should make the switch.
    Sorry for the misinformation.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    So see you in two weeks?
    Likely, possibly even probable. Especially if Adam is cooking again.

The Rotisserie will be in action again.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Fuck yes Adam!

Anyway, shit's gonna get weird in novice. The goal is to win every race I enter and bump, and PB by a second.
    Some old guy said once life is what happens when you're making other plans. Racing has not gone at all like I planned, but it's still what I think about all day every day.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Off topic: is the Larry lap next weekend? Sunday?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Off topic: is the Larry lap next weekend? Sunday?
    True

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

What time is breakfast?!

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    What time is breakfast?!
    whenever you wake up and make it for me

Well I ended my unemployment today. The chances of me racing this weekend went from about 94% yesterday to 12% today. It's good to have a job again but, I'm a little crushed that I won't be able to join everyone.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Sorry to hear but happy to hear bud. Hopefully you'll be able to balance both soon

Lrrs/ccs expert #221
    1812 paint and body, www.thiefindustries.com, Choate Tree Service,
    Addrenaline Cycle, Swansea Ma, Townsend Computer Technologies, "Innovation in imaging"

Just out of curiosity how do you race on unemployment? (no offense meant... lol)

That said... racing vs track days is more about having that competitive mentality vs enjoying pushing your own limits. I know people in the racing world that I personally think would enjoy TD's more, and vise versa as well. There is nothing wrong with either, just a matter of your mindset on the track that determines where you should be. Both push your comfort zone, racing does so MUCH more aggressively if you have the mindset to compete against others... or at least draws that out of you. Personally I love racing I just wish I could afford it comfortably... I see myself buying a street glide or something similar for the street instead of my R6 sometime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    Just out of curiosity how do you race on unemployment? (no offense meant... lol)

That said... racing vs track days is more about having that competitive mentality vs enjoying pushing your own limits. I know people in the racing world that I personally think would enjoy TD's more, and vise versa as well. There is nothing wrong with either, just a matter of your mindset on the track that determines where you should be. Both push your comfort zone, racing does so MUCH more aggressively if you have the mindset to compete against others... or at least draws that out of you. Personally I love racing I just wish I could afford it comfortably... I see myself buying a street glide or something similar for the street instead of my R6 sometime soon.
    On racing while unemployed - I could brag about my job for days, but I will try not to boast. I am a Journey Lineman for LU 104. A 40 hr work week will let me live comfortably with the bills that I have and I set my life and finances up to live on that. When I do work on the other hand my work schedule often involves more overtime in the week than straight time. 60-100hr + work weeks are not uncommon. All my pay is by the hour, no vacation, no sick days, etc. Though I'm not exactly frugal with the extra cash, I try and put some of it away for when I do get laid off. Much of the cost of racing or trackdays to me is in missing time in work, so it only seemed reasonable to race while I wasn't going to loose money on top of initial cost of it. Anyway, I already turned one job down during my layoff and this second job is for a great company close to home and I couldn't turn down.

On racing mentality - The competitive nature is one aspect of racing that I'm drawn to. But, really I wan't to get to the next level of riding skill. As I see it, racing is my opportunity to take it to a higher step or 3. Who knows how long my racing 'career' will last, bit it's something I have to try.

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

Sorry to hear JC, I was looking forward to seeing you there! Any chance you could spectate? I need an umbrella person...

Bump for 2014 season! Any newbies on here?

me

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Mo, Kyle, Matt???

mee

Plan on Saturday night feed bag at our place again!!

Please feel free to stop by for some grub and laughs. We encourage folks to bring a dish to pass. We will have rotisserie pork roast again this round along with Mac N Cheese.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast