Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

2014 race season...

Re: 2014 race season...

First - I'd listen to Eric, if anyone knows how to go fast it is him.

Second - (I somewhat object to LW bike skills being called rudimentary) I made the transition from my R1 to a SV based on advice from the faster guys, and I'm so glad I did. Like Eric said, you learn about corner speed because you HAVE to, and the ninja is only going to be more like that. I love the idea of the 300 class and if I can find a good bike I'll snatch one up and do it in addition to my LW races. If you were looking for an easier bike to race (to replace the 848,) I'd recommend the SV over and over. If you were looking to add a bike the 300 class would be at the top of my list, because there just aren't enough races in a weekend on it to make it your sole bike (IMHO)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I still kinda wish I started off on something smaller. went from track daying a 929 to my 600. 600 was immediately much easier to ride. I can only imagine something smaller being even easier

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This year was my first year at the track and I started with an SV after listening to everyone's advice. I am really glad I did because not only did it make learning fundamentals of racing/track riding easier and more forgiving, once I figured out how to be smoother and hold my speed through turns I had such a blast smoking all the big bikes!! I can't wait to race it next season!! With that said I did bring my R1 to my last TD and I had so much fun with having wayy more power than I needed it was like a breath of fresh air. I also surprisingly have to agree that I did not have any difficulty transitioning from one end of the spectrum to another. So my 2 cents I'd say keep the 848 and just try out a LW bike and if you feel racing both to be too much decide which one you enjoy racing more and keep the other for a fun track bike.

Definitely not looking to replace the 848. Even if I were to run exclusively ~300 class machines on the track next year, I'd still be riding my 848 street.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMarine View Post
    I somewhat object to LW bike skills being called rudimentary
    now I was pretty crisp with that. my rudimentary skills with a lightweight bike.

-dana

LRRS NOV #358
    http://DucatiRacerChick.blogspot.com/

There's truth and charm and beauty
    And strangeness everywhere
    The closer we examine
    The more there's nothing there

Yup, but still beat you all season Jimmy!

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy Faceplant View Post
    Diz, i'd keep that 848 for racing. you spent a ton of cash getting it race worthy.
    but if you're thinking of mixing things up, pick up a ninja 300 for cheap and do some LW and MW races.

you simply need more seat time on that 848. you've progressed over the season, but just need more time. it's very rare for an inexperienced (track) rider to just jump into racing and do well. look at BrianC...he still sucks

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

I am sure the 300 class will be great and one of the best platforms to hone your skills on. I wanted and still want an 848 as my race bike. A track day with my pani temporarily bought some sanity to me and I listened to Eric and several others and got a nice sv from a racer at the track instead. For me too much power and limited skill make for a less engaging and more frustrating time. My track times weren't good either, sure they'd probably have gotten better but I do think I am improving quicker than I would've on a bigger bike.

You dont know slow... PainfullySlow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by union View Post
    I would suggest not racing both. Its pretty difficult racing two bikes on opposite sides of the spectrum. You need to be on the top of your game to have success doing it, not still learning the track. It will be very difficult to make progress on either bike since pretty much everything is different. Pick one bike and get good at that.

I tried racing my R6 and a motard one year. It wasnt easy and I dont think Ill try it again.
    As someone who recently ran SV650 and GSXR600 I can tell you that you are not doing yourself any favors. I give this same advice out at least once a week: If you are going to start racing it should be 1) a forgiving platform 2) as inexpensive as possible.

SVs, EXs, hawks, and the new 300 class would meet both of these requirements.

I am SO thankful that I ran my first 3 seasons on the SV. Its very cheap to run and SO forgiving. I made tons of mistakes on the SV that were simply a "whoa. ok dont do that" that would have resulted in a nice ambulance ride on the GSXR.

Learn to ride a slow bike fast.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Dana Mike W's learning curve is incredible and you have very similar mind sets!
    plus eric's advice is very similar! we can talk during next round and get into more depth

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12