Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2014 race season...

2014 race season...

I know I'm probably going to get a bonk on the head especially since I'm looking for a dirt bike in another thread. And I was thinking of not posting it because just typing this up crystalized my thinking and really helped me understand why I'm leaning so heavily in this direction.

I'm going to hit publish anyway. As usual, my style may produce a certain degree of violent oppositions of opinions. In many ways I truly enjoy being immersed deep with-in the details everyone's experience and expertise brings to the conversation and I augment your knowledge with my own research.

Plus a little of my experiences...

I am seriously considering spending my next racing season focusing on my rudimentary skills with a lightweight bike.

I've been a percussionist for a very long time and nearly minored in composition and production. I've taught a lot of students in my day and one thing I have noticed is that one particular method seems tremendously successful...

1) Dive in deep; maybe over your head a little and find out if you've really got the passion. Passion makes anything challenging: fun. At first, trying to 'will your way out' of boundaries will build persistence and an ability to measure small improvements. Even if there may be a few minor bad habits forming.

2) Once you find that you love the 'art' of something; tear down what you've learned and seek out skilled instructors. Focus on basics while you continue to enjoy expressing more primitive 'play time'

3) Make a commitment to 'reset' both behaviors starting with the rudiments again but this time, play with them too. Realize that it will seem like negative improvements for a while and resist strengthening the hold of the stuff you faked to push out your limits.

4) Rinse and repeat from #1.

I think practicing and riding in the Formula 300 class might be a really great means to reset some of the habits that the 848 has allowed me to use to power through. I do have concerns, one of which is as a Novice, I don't get many races. How difficult is it to consistently beat the 1:45 bump requirement? I would prefer to do a season in which I don't run medium weight until I see measured improvement in my lightweight venture.

Any thought or opinions? Play nice please.

-diz

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    -dana

LRRS NOV #358
    http://DucatiRacerChick.blogspot.com/

There's truth and charm and beauty
    And strangeness everywhere
    The closer we examine
    The more there's nothing there

Re: 2014 race season...

EVERY Motogp racer came up thru a progression of different sized bikes. Minis, 125's, 250's then Motogp. I see young new racers start on 600's. And that reminds me of something Jeff Wood said. Its more fun to go fast on a slow bike than go slow on a fast bike.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

what class has a 1:45 bump requirement? scooters?

LRRS #313

Buy my hawk Dana.

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post
    what class has a 1:45 bump requirement? scooters?
    From the draft rule book section on Formula 300

Formula 300 Novice Licensed Racers are limited to participating in Novice 4 races until they meet a threshold of 1:45 and then able to also participating in Novice 3 races.

-dana

LRRS NOV #358

The closer we examine

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    Buy my hawk Dana.
    I posted some little pics of the list of approved machines on my blog.

-dana

LRRS NOV #358

The closer we examine

Riding the hawk taught me a lot about carrying corner speed and late breaking.
    Also it is a lot more forgiving on throttle control.
    I'm nowhere near taking the bike to its limits but I can tell you the learning curve on a LW bike is much better than any MW bike.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by DZircher View Post
    I posted some little pics of the list of approved machines on my blog.
    I mean if you wanna do strictly the 300 class I understand but an UL bike can do many more races.
    So does a LW.

Quote Originally Posted by tsorfas View Post
    I mean if you wanna do strictly the 300 class I understand but an UL bike can do many more races.
    So does a LW.
    That's what I was thinking. I would imagine that I would get to slow down and smooth out every interaction that I'm having with the bike. Huge difference between an 848 and a CBR-250.

-dana

LRRS NOV #358

The closer we examine

Even an SV is huge difference for your 848

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Light weight bikes are fun and a good way to learn some things like braking late, corner speed and getting on the gas early. I would suggest that if youre doing a track day find some one that would be willing to let you try their bike. At least then you can get a feel for the bike before you go and buy one. You may find its not what youre looking for. As far as a 1:45. It shouldnt be too hard to beat that. As Eric keeps telling me, more gas less brake.

James

Why not race both?

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Why not race both?
    I've been thinking about it. There is no compelling reason other than not trying to tax my ability to go back and forth between them. Interesting thought to ponder

-dana

LRRS NOV #358

The closer we examine

If it were me (and it's not and I don't even race so feel free to ignore everything I say), I would attempt to approach this differently.

Go buy whatever one of these 300 class machines you like. After the last round of racing, attend Tony's on Monday or Tuesday on this thing. Figure out if it interests you. If it does spend another winter drilling and safety wiring. If not sell it for about what you paid for it and stick with the Duc.

If it is still around, next spring register for 1 300 race, and keep the other ones you do. See how it feels.

Lots of small adjustments / decisions. No need to make a big decision now.

I have been thinking of the doing the same thing. My GSXR will be up for sale or trade soon. I think an sv is where its at for me at this point.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

I think an 18 wheeler can do a 145 around loudon.

If you think it's something you'll have fun with and can afford to do, go for it. I hope Roland chimes in with his experience in his ex250 too. Once you figure the whole corner speed thing out, you'll have huge gains on the 848. Sort of the whole go slow to go fast approach.
    And since it's essentially a sewing machine, nobody will hear you coming.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Making sense over here and nonsense in the dirty bastards thread! One step in the right direction is better than none!

Paul_E_D

I ride dirty bikes, and no nothing of motorcycles.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

I am very happy that I did the first 4 rounds of the season on the EX500. it gave me plenty of time to learn how to get around the track without having to worry to much about overcooking it out of a turn. making the switch from the SV was way smoother than i had ever expected and at this point I dont see the need to ever have to bump up to a MW

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Quote Originally Posted by jasnmar View Post
    Why not race both?
    Quote Originally Posted by DZircher View Post
    I've been thinking about it. There is no compelling reason other than not trying to tax my ability to go back and forth between them. Interesting thought to ponder
    I would suggest not racing both. Its pretty difficult racing two bikes on opposite sides of the spectrum. You need to be on the top of your game to have success doing it, not still learning the track. It will be very difficult to make progress on either bike since pretty much everything is different. Pick one bike and get good at that.

I tried racing my R6 and a motard one year. It wasnt easy and I dont think Ill try it again.

James

So how bout she gets a motard and rides it dirty until next April? Two birds with one stone?

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

Quote Originally Posted by carsick View Post
    So how bout she gets a motard and rides it dirty until next April? Two birds with one stone?
    You could but its would be like having a dual sport imo.There is nothing dirt bike about racing a motard at Loudon except for the look. The bikes are so different in setup its worth having a second bike. I dont want to run my $800 brembo caliper through the mud. First its way overkill for dirt riding and I dont want to beat it up to much. I dont want to revalve my suspension every time I go from road to dirt.

Besides she doesnt want to ride a 450 through the woods as her first dirt bike and anything less on the road course would be pointless and in last place.

James

Lifetime Motorcyclist Woodcraft's Avatar

I can tell you that many of the top riders at LRRS started on small bikes, and they teach you how to "race". You have to carry corner speed to make them go fast - there is no other way.

Riding two bikes is something that some people can do well, and others will struggle with. Honestly, the more different they are, the smaller I have found the problem to be. For many years I rode both an FX bike (600 Superbike) and Superbike (1000 cc) at the AMA on the same weekend. In some sections of the track they felt so similar that I would have to really focus on the differences in brake points and turn inputs (because they were close, but not the same). However, when I rode two very different bikes (like 1098 and a motard bike) at Loudon, I had no issues going back and forth at all. The motard was all corner speed, the bike was all about keeping it hooked up off the corners. Interestingly enough, I found some real benefits to riding the bikes on the opposite spectrums.

With that said, it might be worth trying the 848 & Little Ninja combo. They fall much more into the "way different" categories, and I think you'll be able to translate the little bike mid corner stuff to the 848 without confusing things too much.

I tried the two bike thing one season, and it was very hard. I was racing two extremely different bikes so take this for what it is.

I started on a built CB350, which should make around 45 horse or more. We threw around the idea of putting me on a stock CB350 (approx. 30 horse) in my second year, but we didn't. The built CB was definitely above my abilities for at least the first couple of years. Then I started racing an RS125 and it threw me all off. The last time I raced both, I had back to back with the 125 first. The CB then felt like a big pig and I had trouble in my second race. Had they not beet back to back, I might have faired better. I walked away from the 125 and focused on my Honda. With a few more years under my belt, I might be able to do it now, but who knows?

Not sure about stepping down bikes. I am glad I did not, but who knows what I would have said if I had. I think you bring up a good question though and I wish you luck in what you decide. That new class does sound fun and I think it will help you not rely on horsepower.

You can take the girl outta Jersey.....

USCRA #75
    Street- 03 Suzuki SV650
    Track- 71 Honda CB350

Diz, i'd keep that 848 for racing. you spent a ton of cash getting it race worthy.
    but if you're thinking of mixing things up, pick up a ninja 300 for cheap and do some LW and MW races.

you simply need more seat time on that 848. you've progressed over the season, but just need more time. it's very rare for an inexperienced (track) rider to just jump into racing and do well. look at BrianC...he still sucks

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast