Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

#319 LRRS Weekend 3 Report (Long)

Expert Novice "Dangerous" Dan K's Avatar

#319 LRRS Weekend 3 Report (Long)

Arrived Friday night. Movie night in my garage, some of the guys had a projector hooked up to a laptop. Cool setup. I got there fairly late and still had to do a clutch, so movie’s were not on the top of my priority list. Wrapped the clutch up in the wee hours of the morning, thanks in a big part to the help of my garage mates, and Dana, the EX wrenching Guru.

Sat Practice #1: Felt slow and out of shape. Was trying to remember the track and get back in the flow of things. Lap 1 just felt off. Had to figure out the way through the new chicane, try to remember the layout of the rest of the track, etc. Lap 2 felt better, still not great. Red flag after Lap 2, and we’re back in the garages. Went to check my times, no times. Bring transponder to media center, turns out they lost about 40 riders. They got my info and assured me it’d be good to go for 2nd practice, and more importantly the race. A lot of people up there don’t even check practice times, this makes me wonder if they check that something is up just to be sure their transponder is working. It’d suck to find out after your race.

Sat Practice #2: Everything felt much better, right from my out lap. I’m remembering where the track goes, and I’m no longer worried about getting lost in T1a-T1j. Coming through the bowl in T6 my knee touched down, surprised the hell out of me! I didn’t think I was leaning that far, so when I felt it I pulled my knee up out of reaction. Once it processed I motored up the hill with a smile. Next lap through I expected it, and kept it down a bit more. This was a nice confidence boost. Went to check the times after, and surprise surprise, I’m running faster than everyone else that I know of that’s in my class. I’ve only got a half second or so on Harrison, but last weekend he wasn’t even on my radar, he was ten and a half seconds/lap faster than me.

Sat Race #8 Nov PTwins: Everything felt good right from the flag. Got sort of a shitty start, which is normal for me, but passed a few people back going into 1 before the chicanes. Running in 3rd place with Harrison and another bike, which turned out to be Steve Hunt, in front of me. Harrison crashed out in T3 on Lap 2, which sucked. I pulled in second place and stayed there. Steve Hunt checked out on me in a serious way, he wasn’t even in my sights for me to try to chase or use as a carrot. Turns out he was ~5 seconds/lap faster than me, and finished the race in about a minute 3 seconds more than me, with an entire extra lap throw in. My best lap, a 1:40.526, was faster than my fastest race lap last weekend on the old setup. And I get a trophy. Awesome.

Sun Practice #1: Felt pretty good. Actually got all 5 laps in on practice for the first time this weekend. Was carrying much more speed through T3. On my second or third lap I dragged my boot through there. Since my knee wasn’t dragging I figured my position must have been off, so I made an effort to make sure I was on the forward part of the ball of my foot on the peg, as well as making sure it was right up against the engine case. Touched knee and boot that time, but it felt a lot better than just having my boot on the ground. Continued to drag boot & knee, both lightly and sporadically, through T3 for the rest of practice. Still getting knee down in T6.

Sun Practice #2: Felt good. Was getting a much better drive from T6-T9 than I ever did before. Still overbraking a bit for T1 & T9. T1 is hard because I don’t have any reference points. T9 is hard because I’m getting different speed drives into it. Focused on both, might have made some progress but nothing to write home about.

Sunday Race #1 Nov GTL: Fun race. I went into this with my only goal being stay on my line, be predictable and get track time. On the track with guys like CEO, for a 20 minute endurance race, I know I’m getting lapped, and with a serious speed differential. I started in position 8A, the very last row, all by myself. Got some people passed into T1, but not many. Ended up behind a couple bikes that were parked through the chicanes. Decided right then that I was going to need to get around them. They could both pull me on motor on the straights, but were slowing up early for the turns. I tried getting around the inside, but couldn’t get quite far enough and ended up needing to roll off so I didn’t get pinched between them & the apex. Tried going around the outside, but they’d motor away once we got toward the end of the turn and they got back on the gas. I was frustrated, and thinking I really needed to learn how to pass. I was also thinking there was no way I wanted go through the chicanes behind both of these bikes again. So… I’ll late brake the one closer to me into 1. Coming up the straight he’s pulling away from me, and I’m thinking “shit, I’m going to have to make up more than I wanted to, but it won’t be more than I can”. They brake, I’m to the outside waiting for it. They stack up pretty tight to each other and now passing one is not an option, I have to pass both of them. Got in front of them both, but I’m a bit too hot into the first chicane. Brake harder, start my turn while still on the brake pretty hard, and roll through the first chicane, a touch slower than I’d have liked due to losing my line with the late braking and the passes, but it works. I’m back in my line by the 2nd chicane and I’m out from there. I was told from people watching that I was around start/finish on the next lap when they came out of 12, so I made the right choice going around them. Sweet. After that the only bikes left in front of me in my class were a couple dirt bikes and one fast SV, and I didn’t have a chance in hell with any of them. I chased faster bikes when they lapped me for as long as I could and just did my thing. (Speaking of trying to chase faster bikes, CEO is damn fast!). Clicked off a couple low 1:39’s in that race, which is 2 seconds faster than my fastest race time last weekend, and the fastest I’ve ever gone around the track, old layout or new, practice or racing. Talked with CEO after the race, and he had some really good input for me from what he saw of me in that race. Apparently I look pretty good through 3, am getting off the bike and looking WAY over my shoulder (something he and I had discussed in the past). I’m making more than 1 input through T6, which I knew, I was having trouble finding the right spot to tip in this weekend in there once in a while. Oh well, I’ll get it.

Overall, an awesome weekend. Second time up, second place trophy, made some real progress on my riding, form and speed, and can’t wait to do it all again.

Huge thanks to 6 for getting me up there, Kurlon for the help with the trailer and Oreo for hooking me up with the ride home and the bench racing coaching session that was part of the ride.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: #319 LRRS Weekend 3 Report (Long)

I was told that the new layout is about 5 seconds slower than the old config. So you can figure you dropped SERIOUS time! Congrats!

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Nice job this weekend dude. You looked great out there, and when I could stay behind you, it was obvious that you're letting it all hang out when you ride, something I still haven't mastered. Good form, and even better, good job pushing HARD.

Rock On! maybe you are a natural ( or maybe your just a bit to thick in the skull to be scared) Good work, keep pushing till it all goes horribly wrong them back it up a quarter turn.

LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    I was told that the new layout is about 5 seconds slower than the old config. So you can figure you dropped SERIOUS time! Congrats!
    Thanks! I heard answers from 6-11 seconds. The expert EX500 guys were 6 seconds slower than last week, so for that bike that’s probably the #. Of course, I’m far from expert and so are the guys I’m racing, so it’s hard to tell. Guys I race against in Nov PTwins lost about 10 seconds. Whatever it is, even if it’s 5 seconds, still kicks ass in my book. I was 2.461 seconds faster on this layout, so if it’s 5 seconds I still picked up 7.461 seconds. Based on what the guys in my class lost I’m guessing it was a bit more than 5 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Nice job this weekend dude. You looked great out there, and when I could stay behind you, it was obvious that you're letting it all hang out when you ride, something I still haven't mastered. Good form, and even better, good job pushing HARD.
    Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Fingered Man View Post
    Rock On! maybe you are a natural ( or maybe your just a bit to thick in the skull to be scared) Good work, keep pushing till it all goes horribly wrong them back it up a quarter turn.
    Thanks dude. We’ll see how it works out.

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

It was great seeing you. Thanks for inviting me to the race viewing. I was beginning to pass out on Alex's Ex it was so comfortable So I ended up in KB/Hesshospitable RV

I've got some ways to help with your toes.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Good seeing you too Gino. No prob on the invite, and glad you found a decent place to crash out.

Just came across a pile of pictures from Marc Dove. Shot him an email with my race # and he created an entire album of pics of me in an hour. This is probably my favorite, but it's hard to say for sure.

The rest all are here
    http://marcdove.smugmug.com/gallery/...52000319_YZxVb

And the LRRS album they came from, if you missed the 2 other mentions I've seen on the forum and want to look for some of you or email to see what he's got, is here
    http://marcdove.smugmug.com/gallery/...50521357_rdGy5

Also, please feel free to turn the pics of me into a "critique Dan's form" deal. I'm still happy to get all the help/pointers I can.

wish I saw that pass everyone else saw ahaa

LRRS #399
    MX #505

I really wish I saw this pass. As DB was telling me about it I was thinking in the back of my head "jeez, tell him to do it and he does it!"

Nice work out there this weekend!