Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

'86 gsxr old slab side?

'86 gsxr old slab side?

Hi All,

Been a while since I posted anything here. I have been doing track days for a number of years and have always wanted to race. I'm not getting any younger so I would like to give it a shot next year. At 54 I'm sure I won't be competitive but it's close to the top of my bucket list so I have to give it a try.

My questions are: I have a chance to pick up an old '86 GSXR 750 for nothing. The bike runs and has no damage however it would need some work to get it track ready. Is it a waste of time and $? Has or is anyone running one of these old timers on the track?

Thanks,

Craig

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: '86 gsxr old slab side?

Sounds like a cool bike to add to a stable, but I wouldn't race a bike of that vintage. It takes a lot to make a bike race ready and parts availability is an important aspect of that. You're gonna break stuff. If I was gonna dabble to check it off my bucket list I'd pick up a motard that's already prepped. Plenty of parts available, easier on tires than a MW/HW/UL bike, same (if not more) thrill factor... without as much of a hit to the wallet when you chuck it on the ground. Maintain it well and you'll get most of your money back when you go to resell it.

There is one on WERA... You can probably hit the guy up and get some info.

High maintenance priss

Never turn down a free bike.

I don't race, but might help others to know what you run TDs with.

100 X slower than Gerard scootertrash's Avatar

That would be a good bike for the USCRA series. (I think ?) They race at NHMS and Canaan. I don't know much about that series but they have a pretty decent web site with more info.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Sounds like a cool bike to add to a stable, but I wouldn't race a bike of that vintage. It takes a lot to make a bike race ready and parts availability is an important aspect of that. You're gonna break stuff. If I was gonna dabble to check it off my bucket list I'd pick up a motard that's already prepped. Plenty of parts available, easier on tires than a MW/HW/UL bike, same (if not more) thrill factor... without as much of a hit to the wallet when you chuck it on the ground. Maintain it well and you'll get most of your money back when you go to resell it.
    Thanks . Been on sport bikes so long it would take some time getting used to a Motard. Agree on parts availability etc.

There is one on WERA... You can probably hit the guy up and get some info.
    Will check it out

Never turn down a free bike.
    I don't race, but might help others to know what you run TDs with.
    Been on a Duc 998 most of the time. Believe it or not did my last one on a ZX14. Surprisingly nimble for such a big barge.

That would be a good bike for the USCRA series. (I think ?) They race at NHMS and Canaan. I don't know much about that series but they have a pretty decent web site with more info.
    Great! will check it out

Yeah I would definitely check out uscra if you're looking to race that! Uscra is racing, but it's a much more relaxed atmosphere than lrrs.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

In the USCRA it'll be a Period 4 Formula 1 machine, no bump class.

With LRRS you'd be legal for:
    Heavyweight SuperSport
    Ultralight SuperBike <- You'd have a fighting chance here if setup properly
    Lightweight GP <- Come, beat on the R5!
    Thunderbike
    GTL
    Lightweight Formula 40
    Lightweight Formula 50
    Ultralight GP <- Come, play in small bike tinkertown! This would be your machine's native class in LRRS, in CCS you'll be in ULSB primarily, unless their vintage classes are live?

As a Novice in LRRS you'll be in Formula / Rookie / Starter 1 with the other big bikes.

If you're going to come play in LRRS, I'm going to strongly urge a proper 17" wheel conversion, 4.5" wide rear so you can run modern rubber. That'll block you from HW SS where you wouldn't stand a chance anyways. Also make sure the suspension has at least been sprung for you. I will second the comment that bringing an older machine to the track to race brings with it a whole new level of effort compared to jumping on something made in the last decade. Is the batt holding a charge, is anything leaking, has the tank flash rusted again, did the carbs suck crap or gum up, are the carb boots holding together, is that part supposed to fatigue crack like that?! It's doable, but don't expect it to be a gas/oil/go machine for a long while until you've basically put a tool on every part, and even then it'll find ways to remind you of it's age.

The USCRA is an, interesting group. Very clique'y, some of the groups are very open and welcoming, and then you've got the hardcore guys that feel anything that isn't 1940s British iron should be banned, and will happily inform you of this. The only time I've ever been protested was with the USCRA, and I was on a production class GS500E. (I won the protest BTW.) Laid back, more loosely operated, and expensive for the track time but it can be fun. Fewer race dates a year, but they also hit up more than NHMS for tracks. LRRS is much more frantic, rigidly operated, but you get so much more track time for the entry fees it's nutty in comparison. I also haven't run into much for bad cliques with LRRS. Check them both out, roll with either or both depending on taste.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Kurlon; 08-24-17 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RyanNicholson View Post
    OP you're getting some great advice. I started in 07 on a 95 ZX6. It was ALWAYS something. Not usually major but enough to be a distraction and cut into track time occasionally. I wouldn't go that route again, and the bike was 90% ready to race when I bought it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl998 View Post
    At 54 I'm sure I won't be competitive
    Bullshit. If you approach it with the mindset of learning something new every time you turn a wheel, and having fun, you may be surprised to find yourself outperforming those half your age. Be methodical with your preparation, keep records of your thoughts/observations, and you'll improve by leaps and bounds. Competition will make you faster and better. There are folks older than you who can run circles around the whippersnappers.

99 + 02 SV650 ex-race - 91 FJ1200 street - 03 KDX220R woods - 12 WR450F motard/ice

If you don't end up racing the gsxr I'd be interested in it to restore!

Thanks for all of the great advice and input!

USCRA looks interesting although I am not that hung up on classic bikes. I do appreciate them but not sure if it's my thing.

I loved my 998 and it broke my heart to sell it. After reading some of your responses and thinking more about it. I am leaning more toward putting out a little extra up front money and getting a more modern machine to run at LRRS. I love Duc's and would love to find a nice 748 or even an SS. Tough to find cheap though!

OP you're getting some great advice. I started in 07 on a 95 ZX6. It was ALWAYS something. Not usually major but enough to be a distraction and cut into track time occasionally. I wouldn't go that route again, and the bike was 90% ready to race when I bought it.
    I hear you on this! Not sure if it's worth the effort and $.

Kurlon; thanks for the info. Great stuff.

Bullshit. If you approach it with the mindset of learning something new every time you turn a wheel, and having fun, you may be surprised to find yourself outperforming those half your age. Be methodical with your preparation, keep records of your thoughts/observations, and you'll improve by leaps and bounds. Competition will make you faster and better. There are folks older than you who can run circles around the whippersnappers.
    I have seen some VERY fast guys older than me so maybe I am selling myself short The first time I went to a track day I thought I was going to be the fastest old guy out there. Needless to say I went home with my tail between my legs. I will say I have seen incredible improvement over the course of a couple years of running the track. I think I would have a blast racing, competitive or not.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bstnsboy View Post
    If you don't end up racing the gsxr I'd be interested in it to restore!
    I'll keep you posted

I loves me a 748, but they get hammered under CCS/LRRS rules, few legal classes and none of them are a good fit.

Middleweight Supersport / Superbike / GP
    Thunderbike - Best bet for native class, still likely outgunned
    Supertwins

Still sexy bikes though.

I loves me a 748, but they get hammered under CCS/LRRS rules, few legal classes and none of them are a good fit.

Middleweight Supersport / Superbike / GP
    Thunderbike - Best bet for native class, still likely outgunned
    Supertwins

Still sexy bikes though.
    What would you suggest for a "starter" race bike?

I'm not personally a fan of them, but it's hard to argue with an SV of any vintage as a cheap roadracing workhorse. Lots of classes they are dominant in, lots of them everywhere so they're cheap to acquire and cheap to repair, and with so many of them at the track there is all sorts of setup and tuning advice available. If you want to play higher up the food chain, an R6 is your go to bike for middleweight. If you like Ducati, newish Monster or rolling back the clock a SportClassic is a great ultralight or lightweight option.

On the flip side, while you're a novice the bike really doesn't matter as long as it's reliable. If you've got a line of a cheap 748 get your license on it and rock it until it's holding you back and then unload it to a track day guy to finance your next mount.

Thanks, appreciate it.

I know the SV is very popular but I'm not a big fan either. Next year is a long ways off I guess I'll just wait and see what I can find for a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowl998 View Post
    Thanks for all of the great advice and input!

USCRA looks interesting although I am not that hung up on classic bikes. I do appreciate them but not sure if it's my thing.

I loved my 998 and it broke my heart to sell it. After reading some of your responses and thinking more about it. I am leaning more toward putting out a little extra up front money and getting a more modern machine to run at LRRS. I love Duc's and would love to find a nice 748 or even an SS. Tough to find cheap though!

I hear you on this! Not sure if it's worth the effort and $.

Kurlon; thanks for the info. Great stuff.

I have seen some VERY fast guys older than me so maybe I am selling myself short The first time I went to a track day I thought I was going to be the fastest old guy out there. Needless to say I went home with my tail between my legs. I will say I have seen incredible improvement over the course of a couple years of running the track. I think I would have a blast racing, competitive or not.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll keep you posted
    Thanks! I always wanted one of those. I was a senior in high school when they came out. I couldn't afford one then. I had an fz 600 back then. Fun little ride.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    In the USCRA it'll be a Period 4 Formula 1 machine, no bump class.
    And at 54, he can also run "Masters" for over 50s.

at 54, you'd bring the average age at USCRA down about 3 years, lol.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!