Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

AMA Racing selling to Nascar???

AMA Racing selling to Nascar???

I hear rumor that the AMA might sell to Nascar or already has. Anyone else here any of this?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Re: AMA Racing selling to Nascar???

Does that mean they'll start racing in ovals? Who'll be the first to make a "left-turn-only" race tire?

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Its all over the WERA boards, rumors and stuff. Apparently some events have been cancelled or something? A lot of people just post somethings happening, we just dont know, or cant say, what yet

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

That is what I am getting as well. Also hear they may just be buying flat track racing.

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    Does that mean they'll start racing in ovals? Who'll be the first to make a "left-turn-only" race tire?
    Those will look even wackier than the tires on my TW!

Ask me about Total Control ARC Level 1 and Level 2
    in Troy, NY and Loudon, NH
    John

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSVg3Gg4LmA
    '02 GL1800A Silver (Track Toy)
    '12 Striple R

"I hope I always have a little more skill than stupidity"...Lee Parks

Fork oil in my veins.... gmdboston's Avatar

Daytona Motorsports Group headed by Jim France and Roger Edmondson have purchased the rights to most of the AMA Pro Racing properties.

Updated: AMA Sells Commercial Rights To Most Of Its Racing Properties To Edmondson- And Jim France-led 'Daytona Motorsports Group' News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

This may be the greatest day in US Road Racing. Roger conceived the Supersport class back in the late 80's when he was working for the AMA. The AMA then stole his property, fired him and bought a debt that belonged to his wife. After many years of outright fucking with him, a jury awarded triple damages to Edmondson in a law suit. Details can be found at RoadracingWorld.com // Roadracing World Magazine // Motorcycle Roadracing Daily News Now after years of building Grand American Racing and the new MotoST series (which had a title sponsor, Suntrust Bank, before they ever held their first event at a time when AMA Superbike had been without a title sponsor for years) I feel that Roger is keen on revenge. DMG should have the resourses to properly promote, sanction and manage the AMA Superbike series. DMG may sub-let AMA Motocross, Hill Climb, Flat Track, Supermoto and ATV. Unlike when Clear Channel took over NASB, DMG is made of people who have the experience in motorcycle and auto racing. If AMA Superbike becomes anything even close to NASCAR, it will be a huge boost to motorcycling in the US. I look forward to the day when motorcycle racing in all disciplines takes place in front of large crowds, and supports a cottage industry of builders, manufacturers, tuners, suppliers, managers, consultants, and teams from small to huge. DMG has the vision and understanding that it's not about racing, it's about sell an entertainment package to the fans. The days of one manufacturer running out front year after year are now over. I would not be surprised to see the factory teams booted out of racing and replaced by independent, possibly even franchised teams. While changes will be fazed in over a few years, I think the current over dog (Suzuki) may find it self having to carry extra weight before the end of the season. Rumors have been circulating that the factory teams may not want to participate in a series that doesn't share the same vision as the do. Well if that vision is of a few factory riders on fewer factory rides run away from the rest of the field, then I'll be glad to hold the door for them.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK
    Shop Services: Good, Fast, Cheap. Pick Two.

Thanks for the update Pete. Sounds like it is definately going to be a good thing.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Theres a good thread on the WERA board about this. Apparently this France was involved in motorcycles so he gets it, and this Edmondson guy will wanna build this up well to shove it in some peoples face, so it looks like it might be a REAL good thing for motorcycle racing in the US

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gmdboston View Post
    Daytona Motorsports Group headed by Jim France and Roger Edmondson have purchased the rights to most of the AMA Pro Racing properties.

Updated: AMA Sells Commercial Rights To Most Of Its Racing Properties To Edmondson- And Jim France-led 'Daytona Motorsports Group' News Article // RoadracingWorld.com

This may be the greatest day in US Road Racing. Roger conceived the Supersport class back in the late 80's when he was working for the AMA. The AMA then stole his property, fired him and bought a debt that belonged to his wife. After many years of outright fucking with him, a jury awarded triple damages to Edmondson in a law suit. Details can be found at RoadracingWorld.com // Roadracing World Magazine // Motorcycle Roadracing Daily News Now after years of building Grand American Racing and the new MotoST series (which had a title sponsor, Suntrust Bank, before they ever held their first event at a time when AMA Superbike had been without a title sponsor for years) I feel that Roger is keen on revenge. DMG should have the resourses to properly promote, sanction and manage the AMA Superbike series. DMG may sub-let AMA Motocross, Hill Climb, Flat Track, Supermoto and ATV. Unlike when Clear Channel took over NASB, DMG is made of people who have the experience in motorcycle and auto racing. If AMA Superbike becomes anything even close to NASCAR, it will be a huge boost to motorcycling in the US. I look forward to the day when motorcycle racing in all disciplines takes place in front of large crowds, and supports a cottage industry of builders, manufacturers, tuners, suppliers, managers, consultants, and teams from small to huge. DMG has the vision and understanding that it's not about racing, it's about sell an entertainment package to the fans. The days of one manufacturer running out front year after year are now over. I would not be surprised to see the factory teams booted out of racing and replaced by independent, possibly even franchised teams. While changes will be fazed in over a few years, I think the current over dog (Suzuki) may find it self having to carry extra weight before the end of the season. Rumors have been circulating that the factory teams may not want to participate in a series that doesn't share the same vision as the do. Well if that vision is of a few factory riders on fewer factory rides run away from the rest of the field, then I'll be glad to hold the door for them.
    nice posting

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

After 25 years of watching the AMA completely fuck up every thing they do in racing as well as fuck up member services and government relations, I really think that Rob Dingman has the bit between his teeth and is charging in the right direction. Recent terminations of "the old guard" at the AMA and even prosecution of former employees, has me believing that Mr. Dingman understands what needs to be done, and he knows how to do it. In reading the posting here: http://http://www.cyclenews.com/Show...adlineID=12024

I see not only a bright future for racing, but more importantly for motorcycling in the US. By getting out of racing altogether, the AMA can focus very clearly on rider's rights, insurance discrimination, land closures, transportation laws, and myriad other issues facing motorcyclists today and in the future. At long last we have a leader at the AMA that says what needs to be said, and follows through with appropriate actions. I feel that in 10 years we can look back at this day and say it was a defining moment in motorcycling history in the US. With over 3 million street registered motorcycles and about three times that in off road, unregistered motorcycles, Mr. Dingman has recognized that having only slightly less than 300,000 AMA members is not only deplorable, but it is simply unacceptable. As some one who makes a living in the motorcycle industry, I have great hope for a very bright future for all motorcyclists and our industry as a whole.

"If you can't afford to do it right, how are you going to afford to do it over?"-PK

DMG should have the resourses to properly promote, sanction and manage the AMA Superbike series. DMG may sub-let AMA Motocross, Hill Climb, Flat Track, Supermoto and ATV.
    Pete--I read they didn't get the MX/SX stuff as they had already sold/leased the rights elsewhere earlier.

I think the current over dog (Suzuki) may find it self having to carry extra weight before the end of the season.
    Here's a interesting topic--do you handicap the bike or the rider? What I mean by that is how do you determine an advantage? Is it based upon your finishing position--and if so, if a rider goes to a different team/bike, is he weighted down there or as well?

Adam
    http://www.webcrush.com

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

Quote Originally Posted by WebCrush View Post
    Here's a interesting topic--do you handicap the bike or the rider? What I mean by that is how do you determine an advantage? Is it based upon your finishing position--and if so, if a rider goes to a different team/bike, is he weighted down there or as well?
    Considering how small Jason DiSalvo (Yamaha YZF-R1) is compared to Ben and Mat.... A couple pounds is not going to help. The other big 3 manufacturers need to step it up.

I wonder if Ducati gets to bring the 1098R in next season?

The other great thing is the Daytona 200 will be Superbikes for next season! Soup :: Superbikes Are Coming Back For '09 Daytona 200 :: 03-06-2008

I'm more curious to see if Mladin will participate at Daytona next year. Didn't he previous promise that he wouldn't ride the 200 if it was SBK?

Adam
    http://www.webcrush.com

AMA FX#60 SBK#160
    WERA #60

Quote Originally Posted by WebCrush View Post
    Pete--I read they didn't get the MX/SX stuff as they had already sold/leased the rights elsewhere earlier.

They got MX, but SX and AX are licensed to Live Nation. DMG is working on a deal to replace the AMA in the contract with Live Nation. How've you been?