Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NO Americans in MotoGP in 2013?

Full Tilt - Full Time Trackday Guru's Avatar

NO Americans in MotoGP in 2013?

With all three American riders in contract years, and all three currently underperforming, it doesn't look good for Edwards with the NGM Forward Team switching bikes and has no current contract for Colin for 2013. Hayden, it appears could get the boot at any moment from Ducati to make room for Crutchlow, and there is still only a chance that Yamaha will renew Spies' contract for 2013 and beyond.

Hayden continues to deny rumors that he will joining the WSBK ranks on a Ducati saying that the subject has never even been brought up, much less agreed upon, and rumors are now apparently swirling that Spies may be going to the BMW WSBK team for 2013.

Whatever happens to our American riders, two things remain certain;

1) With MotoGP being a Spanish-run enterprise, funded by Spanish investors and obviousley favoring Spanish riders - MotoGP continues to be a non-American-friendly series, and
    2) With no Americans in the series in 2013, the running of each of the two rounds on American soil (and the possiblilty of a third round at the Curcuit of The Americas in Texas which is supposedly readying for a 2013 round as well), having no Americans racing will be tough to keep the currently growing interest of the American crowds.

Colin I can see, but with America being Ducati's largest market now, letting Hayden go for any other non-American rider may be a big mistake.

Let's hope they stick with him - he's only 8 points behind Rossi in the standings.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Mike
    Am #124

Re: NO Americans in MotoGP in 2013?

Quote Originally Posted by Trackday Guru View Post
    With all three American riders in contract years, and all three currently underperforming, it doesn't look good for Edwards with the NGM Forward Team switching bikes and has no current contract for Colin for 2013. Hayden, it appears could get the boot at any moment from Ducati to make room for Crutchlow, and there is still only a chance that Yamaha will renew Spies' contract for 2013 and beyond.

Hayden continues to deny rumors that he will joining the WSBK ranks on a Ducati saying that the subject has never even been brought up, much less agreed upon, and rumors are now apparently swirling that Spies may be going to the BMW WSBK team for 2013.

Whatever happens to our American riders, two things remain certain;

1) With MotoGP being a Spanish-run enterprise, funded by Spanish investors and obviousley favoring Spanish riders - MotoGP continues to be a non-American-friendly series, and
    2) With no Americans in the series in 2013, the running of each of the two rounds on American soil (and the possiblilty of a third round at the Curcuit of The Americas in Texas which is supposedly readying for a 2013 round as well), having no Americans racing will be tough to keep the currently growing interest of the American crowds.

Colin I can see, but with America being Ducati's largest market now, letting Hayden go for any other non-American rider may be a big mistake.

Let's hope they stick with him - he's only 8 points behind Rossi in the standings.
    there's been a big push for Hayden to remain on Duc through social media like twitter. it is true he is outriding Rossi but only in FP's and qualifying. but during the race he moves backwards and Rossi moves forwards. simple as that. if Rossi goes to a satellite team backed by Honda, Nakamoto has given praise that he is willing to work and want to work with Rossi and back him up with factory support on satellite team, then that leaves Duc opened to Hayden and Crutchlow, since Dov is trying to land Spie's spot on the factory team.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

haven't they said Crutchlow also wants Spies's seat? he's only been offered the Ducati seat, hasn't signed the contract yet.

but lets play the assumption game:
    Crutchlow to Ducati
    Dovi to Factory Yamaha
    Lorenzo resigned
    Marquez and Pedro on the Repsols
    Rossi on the Duc

that leaves both seats on the Tech3 unless I've missed something. so hopefully one of the Americans get a seat, I'd assume Spies would be the choice.

Highly doubt there will be 0 Americans next yr. Satellite teams would prob be begging for Spies or Hayden I would imagine. Just cant see it.

LRRS #387

If this is the case I guess there will be less of a reason to watch a pretty boring race series.

James

The ducati is just not ready yet. Both hayden and rossi are doing great with the bike so far. Even tho hayden drops back in the race, he is up at the top in most of the race. Especially the last one. If hayden or rossi were in on any different bikes they would be great but the duc still needs help. Just like yamaha, the duc will be good at some point, just not as fast as yamaha did it. They should keep hayden over crutchlow, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    haven't they said Crutchlow also wants Spies's seat? he's only been offered the Ducati seat, hasn't signed the contract yet.

Crutchlow to Ducati
    Dovi to Factory Yamaha
    Lorenzo resigned
    Rossi on the Duc

that leaves both seats on the Tech3 unless I've missed something. so hopefully one of the Americans get a seat, I'd assume Spies would be the choice.
    Last season Tech 3 Yamaha unexplicably signed Bradley Smith (Moto 2 rider) for 2013. Tech 3 owner Herve Poncheral clearly didn't know he'd be in the position he's currently in with both Dovi and Crutchlow being podium contenders week in/week out. There is only one TEch 3 seat available...and it belongs to Dovi - deservedly so.
    There simply isn't any room for Crutchlow, so he set his sights on Spies' seat since he has been outperforming Spies at each round - and Crutchlow can't keep his mouth shut. Yamaha won't sign Crutchlow to the Factory Team because he doesn't follow the rules - ie. Yamaha reportedly told him to not discuss publicly any offer from another manufaturer (read: Ducati) and yet he continues to bang his own drum loud and clear via Twitter and social media about the offer, and lately the lack of a contract in hand to sign by their (Ducati's) reported deadline of last Sunday.

Yamaha likes to do things quietly, not publicly so I believe he has talked his way out of a seat anywhere in Yamaha - Tech 3 included. The fact that Poncheral signed the unproven Bradley Smith so soon and force a loss of Crutchlow or Dovi is a decision I'm sure we will all see him regret in the near future. Poncheral and Tech 3 has never been so strong as they are this year - and in the pre-season, if you didn't see the inter-team battle for the final seat in 2013 brewing between Cruchlow and Dovi, and knowing they would be banging bars all season, you weren't paying attention.

After Rossi's meeting the Audi's bigwigs at Sachsenring regarding Ducati's racing program - and them assuring Rossi they are committed to spending the necessary resources and making changes to improve the program, they put their figurative and possibly literal arms around Rossi and told him he is the cornerstone of their program even though he has been outperformed by Hayden this season.

Rossi replied by saying he was impressed with Ducati's plan for 2013 and beyond, just a few days after he said he was happy with a pre-Sachsenring meeting with Preziosi about remaining development of the GP12 this season.

Translation: Rossi is staying in red - most likely with Crutchlow as yet to be signed.

I think in the end the it is Spies' seat that will settle the storm. IF, and this is a big "IF", Spies retains his seat that would be great for all of US (Americans), and it would give Yamaha and Dorna the ability to continue to effectively market to the American market, and keep the crowds coming to the Americna rounds.

But Yamaha may still have two problems:

With a successful 2011 season, and a (so far) failed 2012 season - Spies is only batting .500 so to speak. With the 2013 Repsol Honda lineup so strong with Pedrosa and Marquez already signed, and with so many options for Yamaha to sign currently succesful and hungry Moto2 riders (Espargaro, Luthi, Iannoni, et al) that are used to racing with, and are able to cover Marquez on a weekly basis, I'm not so sure a .500 batting average is enough for Spies to keep his seat.

I may be totally wrong, but one way or another Spies needs a strong second half of the season if he wants any chance to keep his job.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Mike
    Am #124

Quote Originally Posted by Trackday Guru View Post
    I may be totally wrong, but one way or another Spies needs a strong second half of the season if he wants any chance to keep his job.
    Lin Jarvis has said that they'll be announcing who gets that seat sometime between now and Indy, so Ben essentially has one race left (Laguna).

It really comes down to Yamaha USA's influence versus the performance of Dovi this year. While Ben has shown brief moments of brilliance, he's been held back by lots of bad luck (tire issues, sickness, etc) and ill=timed mistakes (Cataluyna comes to mind). It's really hard to ignore Dovi's success this year. I don't see Crutchlow having a shot at the factory ride.

In the past season and a half, who is the only rider (not named Jorge Lorenzo, Casey Stoner or Dani Pedrosa) to win a MotoGP race?

Last edited by Lars; 07-18-12 at 07:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post

Crutchlow to Ducati
    Dovi to Factory Yamaha
    Lorenzo resigned
    Rossi on the Duc

lol, wut?

-Andy

2013 Triumph Bonneville

There were similar discussions in another recent thread regarding Moto GP losing its shine.
    Let's hope the American riders remain in the series... I have to think that Hayden at the very least will remain.
    Spies is so much better than his current standing... hopefully his bad luck changes and he gets things right.

Quote Originally Posted by mell0 View Post
    lol, wut?
    woops. re-signed

Quote Originally Posted by mell0 View Post
    lol, wut?
    re-signed

That hyphen can make a huge difference hahaha

Banned
    Wirelessly posted

Both hayden and Spies (and edwards) are marketing dreams. They don't say the wrong things, they behave like professionals etc.
    Crutchlow, not so much.

I'm not making predictions. I have no idea how it's goin to pan out. I just hope ducati get their bike better and the racing improves for 2013.

Last edited by Degsy; 07-18-12 at 12:44 PM.

Dovi threatens to quit and move to WSBK

Speaking of folks not being in Moto GP 2013 season , Dovi threatens to quit and move to WSBK

"Yamaha hasn't decided, it's buying time. I've already understood that meritocracy doesn't count so, despite my results, I already know that it's possible I may never have the factory bike," he said.

"But I have alternatives - other teams and other makes - and I'm also considering something very different."

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/d...124046504.html

Holy What would SBK Look like..*sigh

HRC boss Shuhei Nakamoto said he would be interested in putting Dovizioso on a works bike with a satellite team. Gresini would be the only location, as manufacturers are limited to four bikes next season and rookie Stefan Bradl already has a contract for 2013 with LCR.

This would seem to solve Dovi's problem - being on a "factory" bike capable of winning. We alreadyt know Dovi gets along quite well with the Honda chassis, so I predict he would take that deal if he just booted himself from the Yamaha camp. Yamaha doesn't like to do things out in the open like this.

And they certainly won't enjoy the shot they just took across their bow from the Dovi camp. But this is good news for Spies and Crutchlow.

Crutchlow might want to reconsider that Ducati offering now.......the Duck, even with two years of development from Rossi and Hayden, although markedly better than last year, still isn't a front-runner.

If I were him, I'd be sending some flowers real quick-like to the house of Mr. Poncheral, and asking if his kids need tutoring

Mike
    Am #124

Lots of posturing going on. That's all I'll say.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold 9930)

Come on Alex. I for one think its fucking awesome that you get to live your life so close to the sport we all love, and we all already know that you likely have more info sooner than all of us.

But dude enough with the "teeheehee" and "I know but I'm not telling" posts. We get, you work in the industry and have some knowledge prior to the general population finding out. Unless you're actually going to fill us in, I don't see what the point is other than some subtle gloating

Last edited by JohnnyV; 07-18-12 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold 9930)

Come on Alex. I for one think its fucking awesome that you get to live your life so close to the sport we all love, and we all already know that you likely have more info sonner than all of us.

But dude enough with the "teeheehee" and "I know but I'm not telling" posts. We get, you work in the industry and have some knowledge prior to the general population finding out. Unless you're actually going to fill us in, I don't see what the point is other than some subtle gloating
    my post contained more real information in it than any of the posts before it

past that.
    let me be clear: i do a job. that's it. i don't get my rocks off by 'subtly gloating' about hanging out at the races or with the riders. i have to make choices that directly impact the fate of riders, their careers, their income, teams, and dozens of jobs. there is no room in that for being a fanboy and jerking off on the internet. sure it's 'cool' and lots of 'fun' but if you think it's worth basing your self-worth off, you're very very mistaken.

to not further infuriate you, i'll work harder at not posting anything at all to do with racing. i've pretty much removed myself from all forums, racing talk, etc, but the misguided comfort of 'my old haunt' NESR made me slip up. my mistake.

cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    my post contained more real information in it than any of the posts before it

past that.
    let me be clear: i do a job. that's it. i don't get my rocks off by 'subtly gloating' about hanging out at the races or with the riders. i have to make choices that directly impact the fate of riders, their careers, their income, teams, and dozens of jobs. there is no room in that for being a fanboy and jerking off on the internet. sure it's 'cool' and lots of 'fun' but if you think it's worth basing your self-worth off, you're very very mistaken.

to not further infuriate you, i'll work harder at not posting anything at all to do with racing. i've pretty much removed myself from all forums, racing talk, etc, but the misguided comfort of 'my old haunt' NESR made me slip up. my mistake.

cheers.
    I did not mention or mean to imply anywhere in my post that I didn't enjoy reading your posts about bikes, racing, etc and if it was taken that way by you or anyone else than I apologize. And I certainly do not speak for everyone on this board, it was simply my observation that in previous threads related to racing you have had some posts that were vague and hinting that you know something, are keeping it to yourself, but wanted everyone else to know this.

Lastly, my post was also meant to be more of a busting balls than a serious Doc or Chuck type post. At no point was I infuriated o even mildly perterbed by this

fair enough. my posts/mindset are of a similar 'ball busting' among buddies, i am however a bit sensitive still after some of the bullshit from a few years ago, leading to my hiatus. my friends and people who know me know that i don't 'get off' on hanging out with racers, nor did i ever intend to 'name drop' to look cool. i always viewed names as adding context or credibility to a story, not something to make yourself look better by proxy. however i can see how some who drink Haterade, or have their own insecurities, could view it as such.

funny thing is the deeper you go the less you can say. i would LOVE to spend all day and night spilling my guts on the internet sharing all the juicy information, but then i'd be out of a paycheque. ironically there are some who pretend to share 'the inside info' (big name guys) who in fact just push their own biased agendas, telling not nearly the whole story. that's amusing, and again left unable to call people out.

however in the spirit of being a complete shithead and sharing information, i'll drop a few names and act like a big shot: I've spoken to almost everyone listed in this thread at some point in the last few months (including in the past few days Herve Poncheral, Cal Crutchlow, & Davide Brivio) and will have meetings with Rossi, Spies, Lin Jarvis, and Dovi all at some point in Laguna.

There is one thing we all agree on

"what a fucking mess!" (said with a smile)

that should fill my name dropping and insider info quota for a while. i now return you to your regularly scheduled forum posting. cheers JohnnyV

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by a13x; 07-18-12 at 09:18 PM.

fair enough. my posts/mindset are of a similar 'ball busting' among buddies, i am however a bit sensitive still after some of the bullshit from a few years ago, leading to my hiatus. my friends and people who know me know that i don't 'get off' on hanging out with racers, nor did i ever intend to 'name drop' to look cool. i always viewed names as adding context or credibility to a story, not something to make yourself look better by proxy. however i can see how some who drink Haterade, or have their own insecurities, could view it as such.

funny thing is the deeper you go the less you can say. i would LOVE to spend all day and night spilling my guts on the internet sharing all the juicy information, but then i'd be out of a paycheque. ironically there are some who pretend to share 'the inside info' (big name guys) who in fact just push their own biased agendas, telling not nearly the whole story. that's amusing, and again left unable to call people out.

however in the spirit of being a complete shithead and sharing information, i'll drop a few names and act like a big shot: I've spoken to almost everyone listed in this thread at some point in the last few months (including in the past few days Herve Poncheral, Cal Crutchlow, & Davide Brivio) and will have meetings with Rossi, Spies, Lin Jarvis, and Dovi all at some point in Laguna.

There is one thing we all agree on

"what a fucking mess!" (said with a smile)

that should fill my name dropping and insider info quota for a while. i now return you to your regularly scheduled forum posting. cheers JohnnyV

Thanks for the clarification Alex, and as I began my post with I think it's cool as hell what you do and didn't mean to come across as being a douche.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyV View Post
    Thanks for the clarification Alex, and as I began my post with I think it's cool as hell what you do and didn't mean to come across as being a douche.
    Nor did I.

You look awfully young in your avatar pic for being 28 years old btw...

Okay 8pm, time to leave work. cya dude. glad we hugged it out.

Last edited by a13x; 07-18-12 at 09:39 PM.

When did you drop jro's name you name-dropping sonofagun.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

What about Suzuki and Kawasaki? Why aren't they getting their sheet together and get back into motoGP? What happened to MotoCzysz?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast