Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Annual Call for Cornerworkers

Annual Call for Cornerworkers

It's getting to be that time of year! As you can tell from the countdown thread, we are just over one month away from the first LRRS weekend of the year. As always, we are in need of quality, dedicated people to come out and give cornerworking a shot. Many of you know the basics, many of you have done it (or work on a regular basis), and many more have never tried. As you know, we need a full staff to run a racing event, and there were days last year where that full staff was hard to find.

Cornerworking isn't a glamorous job. You get hot, you get cold, some days you get wet, but each and every time you step onto your station, you get to watch racing from the best seat possible - on the track! You will be responsible for ensuring riders' safety, keeping the track clean, and warning riders of unseen dangers. I'd say it is a thankless job, but the guys we work for are so appreciative, that would be a lie! The work is easy to learn, and keeps you on your toes - every day brings something different. The bench racing and off-track shenanigans are equally attractive, and it is common to see workers and racers sharing tidbits in the evenings over a campfire and an adult beverage.

If you have any interest in watching racing, having the best seats in the house, and getting up close and personal with some of the most exciting action in New Hampshire, contact me for more information!

Fine print: must be 18 years of age, have medical insurance, and be able to function by 8AM. Also helps if you're a wee bit crazy.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Re: Annual Call for Cornerworkers

IN!!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    --Jesse
    2001 SV650s

Could you give more detail of what a typical day is like? For various reasons my on-track time is on hold for at least this summer, but it would be nice to be involved.

I ask about the typical day because I would probably drive up and back the day of from Central MA.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Typical Saturday (bear in mind, times are approximate and every day is something new)

7AM - meet at the "pod" for clock-in and worker meeting (get corner assignments, give each other crap about something, sleep on the tarmac, drink coffee, general announcements and important business)
    7:45 - Track check. Be on station, going through your corner making sure everything is cleaned up from previous events, there are the right amount of cones, no flags are missing, etc.
    8:00 - Start Practice.
    11:00 - lunch break
    11:45 - Track Check. Same as the morning.
    12:00 - Racing begins.
    5:00ish - Racing ends. Reset track for Legends cars. (optional, sort of - if you opt-out, this is when you can leave)
    5:30ish - Clock out.

Sunday is basically the same, but there is no re-setting for Legends and we tend to end a bit earlier (4-4:30ish).

I would give "typical things that happen" but there are none, and they are often corner specific. i.e. if you work turn 3 pickup, you will spend much of your afternoon playing in traffic. If you flag 2, you will spend much of your afternoon holding a yellow out for turn 3.

All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!

Quote Originally Posted by mzdagrl View Post
    Typical Saturday (bear in mind, times are approximate and every day is something new)

7AM - meet at the "pod" for clock-in and worker meeting (get corner assignments, give each other crap about something, sleep on the tarmac, drink coffee, general announcements and important business)
    7:45 - Track check. Be on station, going through your corner making sure everything is cleaned up from previous events, there are the right amount of cones, no flags are missing, etc.
    8:00 - Start Practice.
    11:00 - lunch break
    11:45 - Track Check. Same as the morning.
    12:00 - Racing begins.
    5:00ish - Racing ends. Reset track for Legends cars. (optional, sort of - if you opt-out, this is when you can leave)
    5:30ish - Clock out.

Sunday is basically the same, but there is no re-setting for Legends and we tend to end a bit earlier (4-4:30ish).

I would give "typical things that happen" but there are none, and they are often corner specific. i.e. if you work turn 3 pickup, you will spend much of your afternoon playing in traffic. If you flag 2, you will spend much of your afternoon holding a yellow out for turn 3.
    That isn't too bad, so if we want to volunteer we should arrive by 7 latest?

Lifer

This is something I could be very interested in...

is there any kind of compensation? free food, discount on a track day something like that? back in socal if you were a corner working i think you either got a track day free or 50% off, cant remember.

I'm not sure what the track provides but I'm sure if you walk around after the races a lot of racers would be happy to provide you with something to eat or a beer.

maybe somethin' off the Forman grill

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

P
    Quote Originally Posted by FirstDuc-1098 View Post
    maybe somethin' off the Forman grill
    Frenchy has the real grill we typically use for dinner. you'd know that if you didn't take off on the Hardley every night

Thank You Deeply for this and doing a great job keeping us safe....

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Yes what piggles said. Thanks to all ya'll who stand out there all day to help! It's appreciated!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I'm not sure what the track provides but I'm sure if you walk around after the races a lot of racers would be happy to provide you with something to eat or a beer.
    I so miss the corner worker cookouts...

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Don't forget to add the free education you get by watching what people are doing out there. I learned a ton about the track, its surface, and its "characteristics"......

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Yes what piggles said. Thanks to all ya'll who stand out there all day to help! It's appreciated!
    Ditto, and I can attest that it can change someone's life. Chris Dinoia's story is a great example. Fast cornerworkers and EMT's saved his life. So a big THANK YOU ...

LRRS #387

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    That isn't too bad, so if we want to volunteer we should arrive by 7 latest?
    Yes. Right after the tunnels, on the left is the "Pod." You can't miss the gaggle of orange shirts at 7AM. Of course, you can always camp. Some of us do breakfast at the eggshell at 6 on Saturday, then head over. Sunday, food is scarce as nothing is open. We've been working on getting the infield restaurant to open, but so far only once....

Quote Originally Posted by warsaw1776 View Post
    is there any kind of compensation? free food, discount on a track day something like that? back in socal if you were a corner working i think you either got a track day free or 50% off, cant remember.
    There is an hourly pay rate, as well as lunch vouchers for a full day worked, and comp'ed gate fee for a full weekend (make sure you sign up ahead of time to get on the list). This is NOT volunteer work. You do become a track employee, and there is paperwork to fill out BEFORE you can be on track. This is a policy put in place by NHMS to keep them (and us) protected. Have normal job-application stuff with you (license, emergency contact info, etc), as well as a copy of your health insurance card.

Working for track days is different by organization. I know Tony usually has some volunteer slots that earn partial trackdays in lieu of dollars.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    Also very true.

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Don't forget to add the free education you get by watching what people are doing out there. I learned a ton about the track, its surface, and its "characteristics"......
    This is huge! I know a ton about the track after having done this for getting close to a decade (holy cow!), and frequently can spot a crash two or three laps before it happens, just by how someone is running or how their bike looks. Now, if only i could apply it....

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I may have missed it, but is this a full time thing? Do you need the same people every weekend? I'd def be interested in doing some corner working, but I can't give up all my weekends in order to do it. If it's a part time, pick your own days kind of thing, I'd def be interested.

2006 DRZ400SM

AFAIK you can work a single day, but be kind, give them fair warning which days you'd be working so they can plan around it?

Quote Originally Posted by AVI8_636 View Post
    I may have missed it, but is this a full time thing? Do you need the same people every weekend? I'd def be interested in doing some corner working, but I can't give up all my weekends in order to do it. If it's a part time, pick your own days kind of thing, I'd def be interested.
    Same here, sort of. I'd love to do it, but I'd worry about having to commit to every race weekend and then having a conflict come up.

Is there a job-sharing opportunity here? Say, I sign up for every second weekend, and someone else signs up for the remainder?

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by dontpanic View Post
    Same here, sort of. I'd love to do it, but I'd worry about having to commit to every race weekend and then having a conflict come up.

Quote Originally Posted by AVI8_636 View Post

No, not full time, you are expected to work when you say you will and give adequate notice when you need to change. If you can't work a weekend, just don't say you will. As soon as you get some experience, they often will take you on for other events if you so desire. Bottom line is that you set your days, not them, they just set what you do during the days that you sign up for.

There is an hourly rate, you get a credit to the on site restaurant for a full days work (for lunch), and if you work either Sat or Sun you get free admission for that day, if you work both, the camping is free as well.

Note: "This is going off my years of experience, anything that may have changed this year will be news to me...

I have cornerworked a shitton. Kiera I wish there was a way we could go back to the days when you could race and cornerwork. Itvreaclly helped offset the cost of a weekend.

Kb

LRRS/CCS EX #13

GMD COMPUTRACK

Quote Originally Posted by KB View Post
    I have cornerworked a shitton. Keira I wish there was a way we could go back to the days when you could race and cornerwork. Itvreaclly helped offset the cost of a weekend.

Kb
    I wish there was, too, KB. We lost a lot of great workers when they made that rule. I know why they do it, and part of me agrees with it, but I do feel that there should be some racer-worker crossover allowed. The view has been raised to the powers-that-be, and it is in their hands.

If anyone is really interested follow these instructions.

Corner Marshall Training 4-6-13 from 8:00 am to 3:00 pm

Everyone is welcome to attend. Anyone wanting to bring a new team member along is encouraged to have the new team member contact Deb Mulkhey at 603-513-5725 to setup an interview with Mr. Blanchette or e-mail her at dmulkhey@nhms.com. Lunch will be served and please come dressed appropriately to conduct hands-on skill stations as well as classroom learning. Please check this space for more info as details become available. Thank You !

TIMMYDUCK

Thanks, Timmy, I was just going to post that!

Bumpity! Just over a week til "training" day