Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Which european MotoGP event to attend?

Which european MotoGP event to attend?

Seeing a bunch of you at Austin makes me jealous.

I am in desperate need of a vacation. I haven't been to Europe for awhile.

What I'm looking for:
    1) Good track. i.e., I don't want to go to Sachsenring. I think I'm eyeing up one of Mugello, San Marino, Catalunya, Assen, or Silverstone
    2) Good weather, so you could push Assen or Silverstone down on the list
    3) Would love to be close to mountains, because this trip would likely also involve cycling. This also pushes Assen and Silverstone down, but not out. The Netherlands has an incredible cycling heritage and a trip to the UK is just easy.
    4) Relatively easy accomodations. I've heard horror stories about staying/driving into San Marino, for example. I'm not against renting a caravan and staying at the track
    5) A package that lets me walk the pits
    6) A track that offers good spectating. To me, that means a good screen at an interesting place on the track, as most of the time I'll be staring at the screen.

Looking forward to reading your stories!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    A man of many names...Jay, Gennaro, Gerry, etc.

Lifer

Re: Which european MotoGP event to attend?

Look no further than Brands Hatch. It was my home track. It's pretty friggin silly.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by boosten lebaron View Post
    Look no further than Brands Hatch. It was my home track. It's pretty friggin silly.
    Awesome track, no MotoGP.

We’re likely doing Silverstone next year, because it’s easy. As far as the package and pit walk the VIP Village was pretty cool when we did it in the past.

Yeah, I got friends in England as well. My partners' best friend lives in Peterborough, and the track is nicely nested between there and London. I think she would at most be down for race day and maybe 1 day in the pits. Her having a friend to hang with would let me enjoy some solo time nerding out.

There's also no language barrier. Cool, historic track. Bicycles just suck there, but can easily hop off the island to somewhere better for that. I've ridden in/around Peterborough and it just plain sucks.

Tough for me to not want to go to Italy though. Learning Italian and moving there for a bit is in a made-up 5 year plan of mine. Also in that plan is getting a job at a pro cycling or motoGP team and traveling with them. Would do it for peanuts.

Last edited by JettaJayGLS; 04-14-23 at 06:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post
    Yeah, I got friends in England as well. My partners' best friend lives in Peterborough, and the track is nicely nested between there and London. I think she would at most be down for race day and maybe 1 day in the pits. Her having a friend to hang with would let me enjoy some solo time nerding out.

There's also no language barrier. Cool, historic track. Bicycles just suck there, but can easily hop off the island to somewhere better for that. I've ridden in/around Peterborough and it just plain sucks.

Tough for me to not want to go to Italy though. Learning Italian and moving there for a bit is in a made-up 5 year plan of mine. Also in that plan is getting a job at a pro cycling or motoGP team and traveling with them. Would do it for peanuts.
    All those things about Silverstone are why we’re going. I went to high school about 15 miles from the track.

That plan of yours sounds pretty damn appealing! I’m too old and entrenched in my career path to even consider such a dream, jealous!!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by gixxer72 View Post
    Awesome track, no MotoGP.

We’re likely doing Silverstone next year, because it’s easy. As far as the package and pit walk the VIP Village was pretty cool when we did it in the past.
    Correct but they do British superbike. It's nearly as mad as motogp but not as overwhelming with people. You can camp at the track too.
    Plenty of cycling in the south of England too. You can always head to Portsmouth and jump over to isle of wight which is basically one big cycle circuit with some challenging terrain.

Peterborough is blah but you can get over to the lakes district pretty easily. Or head north into Scotland. Try to cycle a bit of the north coast 500. I cycled from Glasgow down to Nottingham then London then Portsmouth and finished in wight and the Scottish part was the hardest. Cycling the highlands is insanity

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by JettaJayGLS View Post

I bought my way onto the Citroen FIA world rally team for a partial season so it's possible. Technically I bribed Dunlop to allow me to shadow the team while I helped set up the tires. It can be done, you just got to figure it out.

Correct but they do British superbike. It's nearly as mad as motogp but not as overwhelming with people. You can camp at the track too.

Totally agree on BSB! I followed off and on, most recently when Shakey Byrne was dominating (it’s been a minute…)

I've heard good things about the Lakes District! I had to fly home but my partner went and said it was super cool.

I don't want to pay my way onto the team, but will do it for just cost of living. I want like a low level finance/ops role. Gimme like an analyst position. I'm also a very good jack-of-all-trades finance. I think I could sell myself and then over deliver.

Plenty of cycling in the south of England too. You can always head to Portsmouth and jump over to isle of wight which is basically one big cycle circuit with some challenging terrain.

Peterborough is blah but you can get over to the lakes district pretty easily. Or head north into Scotland. Try to cycle a bit of the north coast 500. I cycled from Glasgow down to Nottingham then London then Portsmouth and finished in wight and the Scottish part was the hardest. Cycling the highlands is insanity
    I wonder if they get more people at a BSB event than we do at the Austin MotoGP?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Lifer

I don't know. It's pretty busy, I can tell you that.