Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Attention In The Haddock! - Important Message Regarding Transponders!

Re: Attention In The Haddock! - Important Message Regarding Transponders!

So, as Bergs does not consider common sense an option when interpreting communiques and bulletins, I did some additional digging to see if my assumptions based on my own direct experience were accurate.

The AMB Tranx 260 uses a 3 cell NiCad battery pack rated for 3.6v an 1350mAh.

The charger puts out 12v @ 60mA. Assuming 100% efficient operation, and no losses due to anything else (charge controller, etc) in the transponder that means there is 200mA going into that batt pack. This is a .15C charge rate, right on the edge of being a trickle charge. For NiCads, industry norms say a few days sitting at a trickle charge rate after reaching full charge won't harm the batteries in any way.

AMB has confirmed to others that the transponder does have limited charge intelligence however, quote from an email response to a customer:

Quote Originally Posted by AMB
    The correct answer is that the transponder will go on "trickle charge," so you certainly don't have to remove the transponder from charge the instant it finishes charging (an extra 24 hours is fine, for example). However, we do not recommend leaving the charger all the time. That will shorten the overall life of the battery.
    So, as per industry standards and AMB themselves, a 48hr stay in the cradle is not going to trash your unit. You ARE violating the warranty as printed, but again, if you're under warranty why are you monkeying around with any of this?

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

No new information has been posted on battery charging and you even go on to admit the batteries are not being trickle charged. This means the batteries will be damaged at some point.

The document states "2+". That is what I'm questioning and have been questioning. Your response limits the duration to 48 hours which, conveniently, makes the response acceptable.

EDIT: The rest of my response has been removed as it is not worth the effort to go round for round. Thank you for taking the time to post the information, Josh.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by butcher bergs; 04-17-16 at 06:19 AM.

Awwww.....

So.....no pitchforks?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12