Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bare bones cost to a full LRRS season

Re: Bare bones cost to a full LRRS season

I forgot about a transponder. Pretty sure they let you use one for free for your first weekend still. Also, first 3 races are half off. They used to hook you up with a garage space as a new rider for the first couple weekends, too. Eric would know if they still do or not.

If you know your going to do all the practices, your better off buying the racer practice package for $750 in the off season. Save a couple bucks and one less expense to deal with during the season.

Take offs or a set of q3s should get you into the 1:26 range pretty easily too, fwiw.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

I don't believe you can pre-reg for the entire season in one shot with LRRS, they don't open reg for each round till close to the round.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Deferring costs for a season is plausible. If you want to race longer than that, it will cost more. I was doing 4-5k seasons 12 years ago... costs have nearly doubled for most things.
    I did not feel I deferred anything. If anything '15 was a year I built up a lot of spares and upgraded a lot of my personal safety crap (ie Leatt brace). I also bought and built out my trailer. The spares thing was no joke either. I was left with so many spares and extras at the end of the season that I bought a $700 gen-1 and had it 90% ready to race by the following spring just from my spares bin. (Tuning was another issue!)

I'd say my spend for "racing" that year was $10k and included building a B-bike and buying and building out an all aluminum 6x12 race trailer.
    Cut out the B-bike and trailer and $5k is right on. Do remember we are talking "bare bones" AM level here. Not sharp end of things.

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    Take offs or a set of q3s should get you into the 1:26 range pretty easily too, fwiw.
    Funny you mention Q3's. I raced my first weekend on a maybe 50% worn set of Q2's. They'd served me really well at track days and I thought they were a pretty good tire... when turning 35's. As soon as my times dropped to the 30-ish range I found them really lacking confidence. Stepping up to a real race tire helped a lot here.

I would not want to do 26's pace on anything but race rubber. I don't nearly have the talent for that.

I'll say it again; fresh race rubber was the #1 thing to help me get faster. Bar none.

Pretty sure Nick Peterson was doing 23's on q3's beginning of the year. Apparently they are a much better tire than there predecessor.

That being said...the kawi motard had a set on it that were brand new when I bought it and I pulled them off immediately and replaced with slicks.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

I'll say it again; fresh race rubber was the #1 thing to help me get faster. Bar none.
    ^ this... every day of the week and twice on Sunday

(leave the stickers on for their maiden voyage out to pre-grid. Unless you have no desire to strike fear into your enemies. in which case, take them off)

Quote Originally Posted by GixerJockey View Post
    ^ this... every day of the week and twice on Sunday

(leave the stickers on for their maiden voyage out to pre-grid. Unless you have no desire to strike fear into your enemies. in which case, take them off)
    I put fresh stickers on my tires for every race...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

when I started I paid $50 for 1 race and 4 practice sessions. I was just looking to have fun with a little competition. People ridiculed me and said i'd never get fast.

I'd recommend tire warmers. I started without and found out real fast it is tough to hold back when the green flag drops!

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Ok so we've come full circle now....about 5 grand.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

It certainly isn't anywhere under $3k for a reasonably serious approach to a race program for a season.

I do have a nice set of chicken hawk warmers but they are for my 600. I read you can run them on the 160's and be fine. It looks like 3-5k is the average cost as long as I don't turn my sv into a box of scrap metal early in the season.

If anyone has a spare set of 1st gen sv rims for sale I'd be interested as well.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post
    It certainly isn't anywhere under $3k for a reasonably serious approach to a race program for a season.
    I'm going to keep track of everything this season to prove all y'all wrong.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Good luck

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    One race per weekend doesn't count!

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

I've no doubt that Smutty can run his EX500, competitively, for under $3000 for the season.

That said, not many people could/would do it(he's a simple man with simple tastes), and not many want to race an EX500.

The best way to determine the cost of a season of racing is...not to. Show up with your credit card, abuse it for six months out of the year, then spend the next six paying it off. Repeat as desired. Even if you only do that once, you'll remember it forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Kurtz View Post
    I've no doubt that Smutty can run his EX500, competitively, for under $3000 for the season.

That said, not many people could/would do it(he's a simple man with simple tastes), and not many want to race an EX500.

The best way to determine the cost of a season of racing is...not to. Show up with your credit card, abuse it for six months out of the year, then spend the next six paying it off. Repeat as desired. Even if you only do that once, you'll remember it forever.
    Its funny, I always wonder why I seem to have an extra $3k in my bank account a couple months after race season ends. Then I realize it's because I didn't have any race entries or toes to buy in the last couple months. Lol

LRRS/CCS #66

First rule of racing, we dont talk about money.

Now thats out of the way. A few things to not go cheap on first and foremost is your gear (leathers, boots, gloves, armor, helmet) you get the picture. Basically gear is cheaper than getting banged up real bad. But you can keep things within reason here and still do well.

Secondly tires, I started my rookie season on a brand new set of dries, I got 3 maybe 4 race rounds out of them and that was pushing it. I made it to the 25's on them and they were spent. I will say the Q3's can be pushed to a 23, they dont like it, but they will do it. But on the topic of race rubber, the faster you go the quicker and more on top of your tire program you need to be. This past season was one set per weekend.

Spares on spares on spares on spares. Basically have plenty of pegs, rearset parts, clip ons, sliders, swingarm spools, spare nuts and bolts. But you can work up to this as chances are likely someone will be very willing to lend a hand and parts in time of need to get you back on track.

Really the moral of the story is you can make your program as mild or wild when you start as you want. Any of the guys on here, nhbubba, will tell you I had a crazy insane program to start but I dont do anything small.

so for what its worth 5 grand like the others are saying is reasonable but make sure you are able to recover if you crash and the bike needs more than just simple hard parts to fix. It is afterall racing anything can happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Fling me a resume, references, pics of your bike and social security number so I can do a credit check...
    How come I only had to send you nudes? And Im not even racing?

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

And don't forget that the rest of life still happens. Cars break, tires wear out, roofs leak, people expect presents etc. There needs to be some money for that...

Paul_E_D

My first season (already-owned 2nd gen SV650), cost me ~$2500. That’s including odds and ends like random maintenance supplies, buying shit I needed (set of take-off tires) and offsetting the cost by selling m/c shit I didn’t (2nd set of bodywork). I ran my first three weekends on a pair of used Pirelli Rosso Corsa street tires, before buying those race take-offs. Though race rubber is always nicer, any sport-oriented street tire will get you through the Novice ranks. I brought my food and drinks and grilled with (new) friends. Bought used tire warmers, used the gear and tools I already owned (or borrowed when I had to), and was able to run cheaper 93 from Shell since pump gas was not spec at the time.

2nd season was closer to 5 or 6k, but that also included lots more farkles (paint job and decals, tools I could’ve borrowed but bought instead) and the expenses of registering and maintaining a van dedicated to track hauling.

3rd full season was 7k, but that included 2k of suspension work and probably another 1k of crash repairs. YMMV on crashing

All of these were 3 races/weekend. None of these ever included a night in a hotel; I was always able to bum a warm bed off someone before getting my own trackside housing. YMMV, but you can easily calculate the # of nights you intend to be in a hotel * the approx. cost. Tenting or some type of trailer are definitely more cost-effective.

As others have said, you’re not plunking down $5k today. It’s spread incrementally over whatever time period you chose to use, and you “can” stop at any time (if the addiction hasn’t taken hold). Rains and extra wheels, suspension upgrades, “extra” gear, rolling toolbox, built-out enclosed trailer or toy hauler, etc all don’t need to be had at the beginning.

Bill Cool --- NEMRR EX #8 --- 2023 NEMRR GTO Champion, 2020-21 LRRS LWSS Champion --- RSP Racing / TTD / MTAG-Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear / Seacoast Sport Cycle

If I could race for 3-5k per season I’d be renewing right now.
    Things change and the experience adds on.
    For me I needed a dedicate truck vehicle because I only had a sedan. Although the ambulance was by far the most amazing vehicle I have ever owned, residing in MA meant commercial registration, inspection, Insurance etc.
    I immediately felt in love with racing so although I budgeted for 3 races I ended up doing 7 per weekend real quick.
    Then some speed came and lap times dropped and I started caring about championships. B bike came in the picture. Crashes happened, gear and replacement parts came.
    Then someone said we should try a weekend in NJMP... then Summit Point.., then Daytona. Yeah you don’t have to do all that but I was loving every second of it. If I didn’t race at all, my house would have been paid off, but I wouldn’t change it for anything (minus crashing at the IOM that really sucked).

But my first season I definitely kept it below $5k. I did the entire season on one set of take offs and one new set + used rains. All my gear bought was used and older than me (minus helmet). I slept in my ambulance and brought sandwiches from home and $5 subways. 3/4 races per weekend. Garage with the a bunch of awesome people.

Kurtz’s advice is spot on. Don’t budget it. Do it. Love it. Enjoy it. Make friends. Have the greatest time of your life. Money and bills will always come and go.

Also thank you for starting an awesome thread here. I feel like it’s been a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    And don't forget that the rest of life still happens. Cars break, tires wear out, roofs leak, people expect presents etc. There needs to be some money for that...
    Presents?

Eff that.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    School, license practice = 750
    Races 240 * 7 = 1680
    Tires 100 * 4 = 400
    Gas 40 * 7 = 280

3110 right there before transportation to and from, food, parts, oil, gear, etc.

Can't see where others are scaring him, if fact I think the point of a lot of these helpful replies is that he should be prepared for a lot of seemingly small expenses to easily add up to a sensible minimum of $5,000.

If you've got the fever to do it, do it now or regret it later. (useful advice from an old guy)
    I always laughed when people would budget food into racing. You still have to eat and drink regardless of being at the track or not.

Yamaha

I think it's because you're more prone to going out at least once that weekend, plus booze.
    I tend to eat at home most nights, and not drink $6 beers

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

2015/2016 NESR Fantasy Road Race CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    How come I only had to send you nudes? And Im not even racing?
    You were applying the 771 Garage website, different application.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast