Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bell rs1 vs hjc fj-17

Bell rs1 vs hjc fj-17

Hey looking for a little help choosing the better helmet for racing. The choices i am looking at are the #1 HJC FJ-17 #2 the Bell rs-1 #3 the Scorpion exo-1100 and #4 the Icon airframe. hopefully you guys can help me decide on what is the safest helmet for the track. They are all Fibergalss snell and dot approved and i have worn all of thier cheaper ones so i know that they all fit. These are the four in my price range, Just looking for the most reliable in terms of protection on the track.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    LRRS/CCS AM# 240
    Sponsored by: Smoke Shack Southern BBQ - StreetAndComp.com - AXO - Woodcraft

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

Re: Bell rs1 vs hjc fj-17

I bought the HJC FG-17 last season for a street lid and loved it so much that I just bought another one for the upcoming race season! it is light with great air flow, wicked comfortable and the quietest helmet i have ever owned. It is the Model directly below HJC's RPHA-10 race helmet that Lorenzo uses in MotoGP and there are very few differences between the two lids aside from the ~$250 difference in the pricetags. DOT and SNELL 2010 with a Kevlar/Fiberglass composite shell for ~$150-$180 how can you go wrong?!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

I tried on the HJC RPH10 helmet - the little clip thing in the front seemed kinda dumb - same feature is on the FG-17. It seemed like with the small parts it would be easy to break. I've never had an issue where I needed to lock the shield closed, and if you have it open partway, it's in your vision.

I'm not sure if you can get different padding but the Bell RS-1 has microfiber padding that doesn't dry easily. For street riding its fine, but if you're out on the track sweating your head off it will get gross quick.

Other than that, great helmet and very comfortable. I'll definitely be getting another when mine kicks it (hopefully from age).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by BMMCBR; 04-01-14 at 03:22 PM.
    LRRS AM#721 / RSP Racing / MTAG Pirelli / Woodcraft / Sportbike Track Gear
    2003 Honda CBR600RR / 2009 Kawasaki ER6N / 2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300

Quote Originally Posted by GingahNinjah View Post
    I bought the HJC FG-17 last season for a street lid and loved it so much that I just bought another one for the upcoming race season! it is light with great air flow, wicked comfortable and the quietest helmet i have ever owned. It is the Model directly below HJC's RPHA-10 race helmet that Lorenzo uses in MotoGP and there are very few differences between the two lids aside from the ~$250 difference in the pricetags. DOT and SNELL 2010 with a Kevlar/Fiberglass composite shell for ~$150-$180 how can you go wrong?!
    This. The fg17 is actually a top notch helmet. I own one as well, and am totally confident in it.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BMMCBR View Post
    I'm not sure if you can get different padding but the Bell RS-1 has microfiber padding that doesn't dry easily. For street riding its fine, but if you're out on the track sweating your head off it will get gross quick.
    This, in a BIG way! It's one of the main reasons I don't use mine as my "A" helmet. The liner gets really swampy when you sweat and makes the helmet really hard to take off and put on. It's the microfiber material that they use.

It's not so bad for racing, but if you intend on doing trackdays, it's a real PITA.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Out of curiousity, why are you not considering the RF1200? Fit? It isnt much more $ than the RS-1.

I gotta say that the RF1200 fits differently than the RF1100, FG-17, and RS-1. I tried the RF1100 and FG back to back and they felt very comfortable both. The RF1200 doesn't feel quite right. My RS-1 feels awesome.

On a budget, the FG would be my pick. I went with the RS-1 because I don't like the center visor lock or the vent scheme on the FG.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by Petorius View Post
    Out of curiousity, why are you not considering the RF1200? Fit? It isnt much more $ than the RS-1.
    Msrp and what you can get it for are pretty different. The rf1200 is msrp $450 and sells for $400. The rs-1 has msrp of $400, but can be had for around $200.

Edit... Maybe not. All the $200 helmets are on closeout.. Maybe old.

Last edited by Tunertype; 04-01-14 at 07:13 PM.

I have the FG-17 X-Fuera helmet (courtesy of Revzilla). I'm pretty impressed with how well constructed it is for the price point. The thing is super light, and it fits (my head at least) perfectly. It moves a good amount of air, too. The great thing is it also has the Pinlock system in place.

The only negative I think might be the lack of tinted Pinlock inserts for it at this point in time, so you would have to buy the whole tinted face shield. It's not as big of a problem for the track guys as it is for street guys, especially when it gets dark

For around $200 I really don't think you can go wrong with the FG-17.

Bell rs1 vs hjc fj-17-hjc-fg-17-fuera-jpg

RidersDiscount has/had the RS-1 Emblem Hi-Viz for $180

Thanks Guys and Gals FJ-17 it is....

LRRS/CCS AM# 240
    Sponsored by: Smoke Shack Southern BBQ - StreetAndComp.com - AXO - Woodcraft

Just dont get the black with Hi Viz cuz thats the one I just got for racing lol

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

There is a definite difference between the RPHA-10 and the FG-17. The RPHA-10's shell has aramid in it, which is one of the reasons that it's more expensive. I've seen RPHA-10 Spies replicas in the $340-$400 range, which is a good deal.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

oh yea well aware of the difference in the shell materials but didnt feel like listing everything just needed to get my point across. lol

Just dont get the black with Hi Viz cuz thats the one I just got for racing lol
    I had Landrics paint mine white and it was STILL cheaper total than a new RS-1.