Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Bike prep questions - specifics

Bike prep questions - specifics

I am getting my '01 SV ready to be a dedicated trackbike. I would like to make it legal for the LRRS and I have some specific questions about how to go about it. Most of them relate to fastener retention. From reading the rules I understand that not all fasteners need to be safety wired as I had originally thought. I have a pretty good supply of 1/16" drill bits, a drill a drill press and all of the other useful bits. I'll enumerate my questions to make it easier to address them individually.

1)For those that have SV's, how do you ensure retention of the bolt that holds the damper rod fixed to the lower fork tube? It's the recessed socket head cap screw that goes into the bottom of the fork tubes. I could see RTV'ing it and then doing tape over the RTV but I don't know if that would pass tech.

2)Also for those that have SV's there are about 3-4 bolts on the underside of the cases which are not oil drains or case bolts that hold the two together but look like they go inside the engine and maybe are just there as plugs to cover holes needed for machining in the factory, IDK. Do all of these typically get wired? I know one of them is a pressure sensor, does that need it as well? I am leaning on the side of yes to all since they have oil behind them but I just want to make sure before I go drilling holes in sensors and what-not.

3)Suspension bolts? I didn't read anything other than axle bolts but a shock linkage system or fork pinch bolts seem like obvious ones to me. Is it standard for people to wire them even though it doesn't look like a requirement?

4)Muffler baffles. I read in the R.B. that these needed to be safety wired but I am not sure what an accepted method of doing this is. I could drill a hole radially though my muffler and thread some safety wire in and back out through another hole but that didn't seem like the right way to do it.

5)Is header wrap ok to use? I have some that I want to put on the midpipe where my boot often rests when I pull my feet back on the pegs. Does this need safety wire or are hose clamps at the ends acceptable?

6Radiator overflow - My radiator has the OEM overflow reservoir which works great but the overflow reservoir has a breather which attaches to a tube that dumps to the ground. Does the reservoir breather tube have to go to a catch can? It would seem redundant but I don't want to fail a tech inspection and be trying to strap a gatorade bottle somewhere in my bike

7Grips and exhaust system springs. I see these safety wired often but I don't see it in the rule book. I assume it's prudent to safety wire anything that could come loose but I just want to see if these are standard practice and expected at tech or just optional. If it is expected, what other types of things might I be missing?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Bike prep questions - specifics

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max View Post
    I am getting my '01 SV ready to be a dedicated trackbike. I would like to make it legal for the LRRS and I have some specific questions about how to go about it. Most of them relate to fastener retention. From reading the rules I understand that not all fasteners need to be safety wired as I had originally thought. I have a pretty good supply of 1/16" drill bits, a drill a drill press and all of the other useful bits. I'll enumerate my questions to make it easier to address them individually.
    1)For those that have SV's, how do you ensure retention of the bolt that holds the damper rod fixed to the lower fork tube? It's the recessed socket head cap screw that goes into the bottom of the fork tubes. I could see RTV'ing it and then doing tape over the RTV but I don't know if that would pass tech.
    dont worry about the damper rod bolt that is covered by your axle.

2)Also for those that have SV's there are about 3-4 bolts on the underside of the cases which are not oil drains or case bolts that hold the two together but look like they go inside the engine and maybe are just there as plugs to cover holes needed for machining in the factory, IDK. Do all of these typically get wired? I know one of them is a pressure sensor, does that need it as well? I am leaning on the side of yes to all since they have oil behind them but I just want to make sure before I go drilling holes in sensors and what-not.
    With LRRS & CCS i only had to do the filter & drain plug. With WERA every bolt that holds oil or water must be done.

3)Suspension bolts? I didn't read anything other than axle bolts but a shock linkage system or fork pinch bolts seem like obvious ones to me. Is it standard for people to wire them even though it doesn't look like a requirement?
    fork pinchbolts and axles only for LRRS

4)Muffler baffles. I read in the R.B. that these needed to be safety wired but I am not sure what an accepted method of doing this is. I could drill a hole radially though my muffler and thread some safety wire in and back out through another hole but that didn't seem like the right way to do it.
    just the bracket mounting bolts need to be done. ive never seen anyone get failed for not having header bolts done.

5)Is header wrap ok to use? I have some that I want to put on the midpipe where my boot often rests when I pull my feet back on the pegs. Does this need safety wire or are hose clamps at the ends acceptable?
    yes it is, i secure mine with safety wire

6Radiator overflow - My radiator has the OEM overflow reservoir which works great but the overflow reservoir has a breather which attaches to a tube that dumps to the ground. Does the reservoir breather tube have to go to a catch can? It would seem redundant but I don't want to fail a tech inspection and be trying to strap a gatorade bottle somewhere in my bike
    you can dump that into your belly pan

7Grips and exhaust system springs. I see these safety wired often but I don't see it in the rule book. I assume it's prudent to safety wire anything that could come loose but I just want to see if these are standard practice and expected at tech or just optional. If it is expected, what other types of things might I be missing?
    [/quote]
    alot of people safety wire them, LRRS & CCS dont require it, wera does (exhaust springs)

David King | ASRA/CCS/WERA SE EX #484

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."
    -Benjamin Franklin

Thank you! I'll make a point to look into the wera ruelbook.

Wes chime in here, you know you want to...

LRRS #387

Lets flip this around, imagine youre cruising down the front straight in 2nd place with first place so close you know you can out brake him into 1. What do you not want to have fall off his bike at this moment? Safety wire those.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.