Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Blue Cross/Blue Shield and racing

I read some where that some health insurance co's do not cover race damage, anyone know if Blue Cross has a problem with it?
    Tanx

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Who says you were racing?

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Lifer

I've told the doctors, they always write it up as 'motorcycle accident'. There was a big contriversy in the law not too long ago, might still be ongoing where insurance companies wanted to discriminate people from care if treatment is the result of some catagory of activity they think is dangerous. i'm pretty sure it was stomped because it was discrimination.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

i have BCBS of MA, they paid for my CT scan, neurologist visit and ER visit w/ no questions earlier this season... of course I never told them I was specifically _racing_, but I've heard from others they'll cover you regardless.

Last edited by smf; 12-01-07 at 07:17 PM.
    Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Who says you were racing?
    and who says I can't?, besides my wife.. Penguin in April, I just need to get my ducks in a row. My 1mil life insurance policy is a couple/few years old so thats all set, I just need confirmation from SBLI (am told after couple years they can't refuse payment). Already have long term disability at work - why so cautious? My 600 will lump my in with 3,000 20 year old win or die old Nicky Hayden wanna be's.

bcbs, no problems this past September. I'm pretty sure they knew I was racing by my ambulance delivery from loudon. I only owe concord hospital my $50 ER copay, the whole visit was about $4,500.

Quote Originally Posted by CMG41 View Post
    and who says I can't?, besides my wife.. Penguin in April, I just need to get my ducks in a row. My 1mil life insurance policy is a couple/few years old so thats all set, I just need confirmation from SBLI (am told after couple years they can't refuse payment). Already have long term disability at work - why so cautious? My 600 will lump my in with 3,000 20 year old win or die old Nicky Hayden wanna be's.
    Are you upset? It is not like racing is some exclusive club, I mean hell if let Buddha back out there.... Did you try to put down my bike? Compare me to Nicky Hayden?

I wasn't saying you couldn't go racing... I was saying you don't have to tell anyone you were racing.... that way the insurance would cover it.

Now go was the sand out of your Va J J. Jeesh!

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Are you upset? It is not like racing is some exclusive club, I mean hell if let Buddha back out there.... Did you try to put down my bike? Compare me to Nicky Hayden?

I wasn't saying you couldn't go racing... I was saying you don't have to tell anyone you were racing.... that way the insurance would cover it.

Now go was the sand out of your Va J J. Jeesh!

ummm you need to clean the sand out because the nicky hayden / racing comment wasn't directed at you

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

wtf doc drinking already this morning? ya do know that not everything is about you (you're no Denno!) -

A) you do not have a 600
    B) you are not 20, hell you're closer to Nicky Haydens fathers age!
    I put the "besides my wife" to add some levity in lieu of overuse of emoticons - thats gay (now that was directed at you!)
    I just figured it was a common thought that the 600 class is full of young kids trying to kill each other (I'm neither) and was explaining my interest in being prepared. talk about washing out your vagi....now give me a hug angry man

wtf doc drinking already this morning? ya do know that not everything is about you (you're no Denno!) -

A) you do not have a 600
    B) you are not 20, hell you're closer to Nicky Haydens fathers age!
    I put the "besides my wife" to add some levity in lieu of overuse of emoticons - thats gay (now that was directed at you!)
    I just figured it was a common thought that the 600 class is full of young kids trying to kill each other (I'm neither) and was explaining my interest in being prepared. talk about washing out your vagi....now give me a hug angry man
    I mut have read quickly.... from my end there is/was NO animosity about your racing.

I was just pointing out that you don't tell the Doc's at the hospital that you were racing.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

i just told the hospital i crashed a mini-bike in the back yard. they never questioned it. i know some one else that broke their coller bone falling off a ladder (in turn 11).

ofcourse these plans don't work if you are carted in via ambulance still in your leathers.

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Weasel View Post
    ofcourse these plans don't work if you are carted in via ambulance still in your leathers.
    Maybe, maybe not. I have lots of photos in the family album of me doing roof work in my leathers. You know -- just in case?

If you are really worried about life ins, you might want to check your policy. Motorcyle racing and skydiving are very often two of the things that are not covered.

Quote Originally Posted by ultraTwist View Post
    If you are really worried about life ins, you might want to check your policy. Motorcyle racing and skydiving are very often two of the things that are not covered.
    Long Term Disability is another. Read the fine print. Some will specifically state no coverage during the use of any motorized vehical for the purpose of high speed race competition or testing on a track. I have seen some simply say that you must state no intent to do so in the next 6 months....

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ultraTwist View Post
    yup - my life insurance is nulled if i get offed on the bike its ok if its in a race car though.... weird

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Most health ins. policies don't have exclusions...yet. That means you are covered for racing accidents even without moto ins. However, they are looking for ways to change this, so anytime you are not DIRECTLY transported by EMTs who will report the details of your crash, it's wise to invent some other likely scenario. Bicycles, skateboards, ladders, etc. all present similar dangers.

Life and disability policies almost always have some exclusions. It would be tough to get away with fraud in those situations as they are likely to actually investigate you if you make a claim.

Paul_E_D

Yeah this sucks about life insurance.
    Riding my bike was the main reason I got it, being father
    of 3. And lo and behold the small print says something about
    riding in an uncovered vehicle or something like that being
    exempt from coverage... maybe this means a convertible too?

Anyone know of life insurance that covers motorcycle accidents?
    For mainly on the street. That's where one is more likely to die anyway.

2008 Honda CBR 600RR

Uncovered vehicle ... now that is some slippery language!

Bicycle, skateboard, inline skates, 3 wheeler, ATV, motorcycle, convertible, paraglider, hang glider ...

This won't be pretty ...

Quote Originally Posted by Currently View Post
    Uncovered vehicle ... now that is some slippery language!

Bicycle, skateboard, inline skates, 3 wheeler, ATV, motorcycle, convertible, paraglider, hang glider ...

This won't be pretty ...
    good point - i'll make some calls monday and update

Re: UPDATE

Update: I spoke to my attorney, as long as I did not lie about racing when policy was taken out (I didn't, they are dated 00/-01) and policy was over 2 years old I'm fine. I scrutinized my SBLI life insurances policies and all is good. On original application it was asked if I partake in / plan on racing a motor vehicle or skydiving. I Just did the same with my Hartford Long Term Disability plan and all set.
    The exclusions are:
    • Am under care of DR
    • Not an act of war
    • Has not occurred during an attempted felony
    • Caused by intentionally self inflicted injury

On another note if anyone has a Performance One card it can be used for Penguin. I have one thru a manufacturer I represent, every unit I sell I get points ($) on the card that can only be used at select stores (I also used it for my 42" Sony Bravia last summer )so its no $ out of pocket for the day.

Re: Blue Cross/Blue Shield and racing

I mut have read quickly.... from my end there is/was NO animosity about your racing.

I was just pointing out that you don't tell the Doc's at the hospital that you were racing.
    Doc...thats how I read it. Exactly. Not sure what all the hullabaloo is about. I suspect its just a bunch of guys wishing the other guys had vaginas for some reason. Odd....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.