Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Brake pad material

Brake pad material

I was just on Brake Tech's website, and I am now more confused then ever.

For racing, is it recommended to use HH sintered pads or organic pads. I am using stainless steel disks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Re: Brake pad material

I'm running sintered EBCs up front (HH is a friction rating, it usually implies a sintered compound, but not always, so be sure to look) and organics in back.

I'm also turning 33s on a GS500E, so... uh, yeah, I think I just eliminated any credibility I had in this thread.

35's on a 1200cc bike. Your credibility is better then mine. I am also running EBC HH sintered front and rear (rear rarely used).

At least yours doesn't sound like a de-tuned asthmatic vacuum cleaner when it goes around the track. : )

All the reading I've done says to start with sintered pads, as those are the basic 'street' performance compound, so they aren't likely to lunch your rotors horribly.

EBC offers three compounds of interest after their normal organics:

Boring ignore me pads - FAXXX part number
    Sintered - FAXXXHH part number
    'Race' Sintered - GFAXXXHH part number
    New Hoopty 'Extreme' 'Race' Sintered - EPFAXXXHH

So, say your bike takes a FA424, you'd want to start with FA424HH, then move on to GFA424HH to try something more aggressive, and EPFA424HH for the most stopping power in EBC's lineup. Unfortunately they don't offer all pads in all compounds. And even when the catalog lists a pad in a given compound, that doesn't mean anyone stocks it... I can't get FA86HHs for my 70 for example, despite EBC claiming to make them...

They offer the 249 pads in the GFA compound, I guess that I will go with those next year.

I'm normally an EBC guy myself... But Denno will NOT shutup about these Vesra pads that he's been running on the race bike. I don't remember which compound they were. Hopefully he chimes in here with it. The Sv needs pads anyway, so I'm gonna give these a try.

I like these for the street DP SDP HH+.

Like these for the track RDP racing.

They have GREAT feel and last a long time without eating your rotors.
    App's here

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest to all novice/amatuers that you use the weakest pads you can find for your bike. Then relieve them of some material by slotting them.

They will suck, but you will learn to pick up your corner entry speed much sooner and you will crash less (or at least less spectacularly).

I'm actually serious (well, maybe don't slot them). You will ride a lot smoother, and get faster sooner with weaker brakes. The damn things only slow you down!

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and suggest to all novice/amatuers that you use the weakest pads you can find for your bike. Then relieve them of some material by slotting them.

They will suck, but you will learn to pick up your corner entry speed much sooner and you will crash less (or at least less spectacularly).

I'm actually serious (well, maybe don't slot them). You will ride a lot smoother, and get faster sooner with weaker brakes. The damn things only slow you down!
    So thats how you got so fast Paul! So how about putting some air in the brake lines. Just kidding, you are right though, corner speed is how to get faster on any bike!

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Actually, I was going to suggest letting a little air in the lines! It's been done!

Paul_E_D

Actually, I was going to suggest letting a little air in the lines! It's been done!
    I know of this trick from a mechanic for a VERY fast rider we all might know..........

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Another option is to setup your brake lever so it hits the throttle cable enclosure under hard braking.............yeah, I know a guy who did two races like that...

Yeah i agree with that

I took the Cornerspeed class at VIR a couple years ago and one of the drills is to not use the brakes at all. At first i was like WTF but after a a few turns my entry speed obviously was a lot faster so it forced me to focus on choosing the most ideal line resulting in faster cornerspeed.

the "wait till you you see God, then brake" style of riding slows a lot of people down in my opinion

smooth = fast

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jc r6 View Post

the "wait till you you see God, then brake" style of riding slows a lot of people down in my opinion

smooth = fast
    The super late braking is a Good skill to have. But if its the only weapon you really have you will do well and Crash alot,

I learned the hard way

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

+1 !! As a novice who has been on the track one weekend, I found myself nailing the brakes so hard into almost every corner that I was crawling by the time I turned in full lean...It got better throughout the day but I'd be in mid corner adn realize I had slowed down until I could probably jog next to the damn bike.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Another option is to setup your brake lever so it hits the throttle cable enclosure under hard braking.............yeah, I know a guy who did two races like that...
    I bet you had some good entry speed that day! I've had that happen. It can be pretty scary in T3 where I'm fully committed at my brake marker...

Paul_E_D

I bet you had some good entry speed that day! I've had that happen. It can be pretty scary in T3 where I'm fully committed at my brake marker...
    Yep, going into T3 is exactly where I noticed that my braking had diminished significantly from what I was expecting. Two races of "sink-or-swim" before I figured it out...

Interestingly enough I think it was that same weekend where I turned my PB.