Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

How do I break in

Lifer

How do I break in

Well after yesterdays trackday I'm feeling like I might want to look into getting on the track for some sessions and maybe go forward to racing. Where do I need to start? Penguin school? What kinda settup should I be running for a bike. I'm gonna be looking for a 600 or 750 for a trackbike.

Also, what's the deal with cornerworking. Just show up? I 'd love to give a hand and checkout everyones lines and such at the same time. Can I bring a camera and take pictures while working the corner?

Thanks kids!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

How do I break in

You can just show up early and wait for an anouncement if you want to cornerwork. They usually make the first call around 7am and tell you where to go.

Spend a weekend up at the track and take the Penguin school, enter the rookie race and one additional race that weekend, and you should be good to go for the open practice sessions. Actually, i think you can run practices with just your Penguin card?
    As for a bike, get a 03 or newer R6, wire it up and start racing

Yamaha

NOT laughing with you {~; bemused's Avatar

Re: How do I break in

Originally posted by hessogood
    Well after yesterdays trackday I'm feeling like I might want to look into getting on the track for some sessions and maybe go forward to racing. Where do I need to start? Penguin school? What kinda settup should I be running for a bike. I'm gonna be looking for a 600 or 750 for a trackbike.

Also, what's the deal with cornerworking. Just show up? I 'd love to give a hand and checkout everyones lines and such at the same time. Can I bring a camera and take pictures while working the corner?

Thanks kids!
    cornerworking... required to take a class w/ the US marshalls-- once per season, I think-- starts @ 9 or 9:30.

prolly won't get to snap too many pix if you're cornerworking, 'cuz you'll be... well... working!

it IS a blast to do, and you can definitely get some up-close views of the line to take around the corner you're in! :kewl:

(as well as lines NOT to take )

WWSD? (what would Sneakers do?)
    "for every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill"
    jeff f
    '97 RF900R

yup...

Absolutely. Get your bike ready for the track. Go and take the Penguin school with the Wood boy's, do your rookie race, enter one more race that weekend, and then you are golden to apply for, and recieve your license. the school is usually on friday, the rokie race is the first race on Saturday(only 3 laps), then you do one more race that same weekend, and you have satisfied all requirements. Oh...you can't crash either...or no license. I saw you out there, and you look real comfortable on a bike. Like Danny Boy said, you'd do well. Just don't buy a shite bike as a starter. You seem to know what the hell you're doing, so spend a bit more, get a decent bike, one that's all set to go preferably, and get out there and work on being smooth. Eric Wood told me that speed is a bi-product of being smooth. Up until yesterday's track day I was somewhat skeptical. Now, after probably close to 100 laps in one day, I don't use my brakes at all..unless I get into trouble... i feel like I have my line dialed in and I know exactly where to shift...of course you can never have too much time on track, but I know I shaved several seconds off my times. C'mon up for a race weekend and hang out. See if it's something you'll like, and go from there. I'm sure you'll get hooked, We all did! Let us know if you need any help, we're all glad to offer assistance.

Heath-

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove
    Traction by Franimal Racing Syndicate

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

How do I break in

You could buy my race bike and save yourself a ton of time and money.. Drop me a PM and we can talk.

Good luck on the venture

Gerard

How do I break in

Originally posted by gsxr600ger
    You could buy my race bike and save yourself a ton of time and money.. Drop me a PM and we can talk.

Good luck on the venture
    Read the title again.....He said "How do I break in"...Not..."How do I break down"

********* **** Racing
    LRRS #293

How do I break in

LEW

Gerard

Lifer

How do I break in

I'm probably just going to pick up a salvage six hundo and work on it over the winter. I have some friends that can find them for dirt cheap. That way I can build it up and mod it as my ability progresses to need such things. Thanks for the offers though. If something is out there cheap enough I'll consider picking it up.

How do I break in

I'm probably just going to pick up a salvage six hundo and work on it over the winter. I have some friends that can find them for dirt cheap. That way I can build it up and mod it as my ability progresses to need such things. Thanks for the offers though. If something is out there cheap enough I'll consider picking it up.
    You're better off buying G's. Everything is sorted out, she's been seasoned, tuned, and comes with spares.

You'll spend 12-1400 on suspension alone.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

How do I break in

Do trackdays the rest of this year. Take Penguin first race weekend next year, in the meantime, cornerwork all you can. yes, just show up, there is a US Marshall class Sat. morning.

We need cornerworkers!!

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

How do I break in

That is what I did and I think that I am about 7500 into this thing and I am lucky if It's woth $5000.00 It is way too much work to start from scratch. This is just my experience, if you don't want my bike that is fine just make sure you buy an already raced bike...

G-man

Gerard

How do I break in

Buying an already prepped race bike is the smartest way to go, period. Even if you get a salvage bike, you'll still end up paying twice as much when all is said & done...

If you get something already prepped, it's just a matter of dialing it in for your fit, feel & style...

Save yourself some money & hassles. Look for something good to go...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

G-Man!!!

The G-Man is wise in the ways of race bikes bro...listen to him, and Dan for that matter. Hell, I spent over 6K on my Yammy last year, just to crash it and junk it...cuz it was way too expensive to replace all the parts that needed it..especially suspension components...DAMN EXPENSIVE!!!

Heath Smith
    LRRS/CCS #337
    Low Down Racing
    www.racetireservice.com
    www.motorbikesplus.com
    Power by Dr. Hillsgrove
    Traction by Franimal Racing Syndicate

05' KTM 525SMR,
    01' YZ426F
    05' Reiju RS1

Says Vale to Colin at the end of the 2002 8 Hours of Suzuka: "Ok Colin, you better go out there and win. Because it is the ONLY way we will NEVER have to come here again!"

How do I break in

G's bike....Someone elses bike....A prepped bike is deffinately the way to go. I have WAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY...toooo much damn money into mine...and I built it from the frame up. I would have loved the chance to snagg Gerards bike before I started...I would have the same thing, for a shittload less money.

Do yourself a favor...Buy something that is already prepped.

********* **** Racing
    LRRS #293

How do I break in

my 02 gsxr600 $5k ..

G's is just slow..........

women ??!!
    LRRS#989

How do I break in

If the bike is slow then I must be fast, cause I did 17.5s on it...

G-man

Gerard

How do I break in

Glad you went ahead and asked this Jay! I was going to post something up today as well. I was thinking about Prepping my R1 over the winter, but Maybe I will listen to these guys and sell the R1 hopefully for around 6K and get into a prepped 600.

Is it stupid to jump into racing with an R1 ? I got it reasonably cheap and looks sweet and is ready to be inspected for the street right now, but still holds a salvage title for the moment... What to do????

I as well can pick up cheap salvage bikes, I have a standing bid right now for a 02 Gixxer 600 that is only in need of plastics for 3K, is that still going to require a ton to race prep it???

Mike

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

How do I break in

Good advice here. Ignore at your own expense.

Only thing I would add is to carefully prepare a budget for your racing. Decide how much you can afford for a season. plan on 500 dollars (min) per weekend, and a good 1K for your first weekend. That's barring any expensive crashes or paying for suspension set-up etc. 5-8K for a season (minus the bike)

600s are expensive to race. There are other good bikes that would cost considerably less to run.

Paul_E_D

How do I break in

Originally posted by Paul_E_D
    600s are expensive to race. There are other good bikes that would cost considerably less to run.
    EX-500 but there are a lot of ego's that can't ride a 500...lol

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

How do I break in

Originally posted by Half Squid
    Glad you went ahead and asked this Jay! I was going to post something up today as well. I was thinking about Prepping my R1 over the winter, but Maybe I will listen to these guys and sell the R1 hopefully for around 6K and get into a prepped 600.

Is it stupid to jump into racing with an R1 ? I got it reasonably cheap and looks sweet and is ready to be inspected for the street right now, but still holds a salvage title for the moment... What to do????

I as well can pick up cheap salvage bikes, I have a standing bid right now for a 02 Gixxer 600 that is only in need of plastics for 3K, is that still going to require a ton to race prep it???

Mike
    You are looking at about 1200-1500 in suspension to get what is on my bike. Then you need clip on's, rear sets, levers, bodywork spare set of wheels.. Spare motor. You are looking at at least $6500 - $7000 to get what is on my bike for $4500. Spend the other $2000 on tires and entry fees..

Gerard

Gerard

Lifer

How do I break in

You are looking at about 1200-1500 in suspension to get what is on my bike. Then you need clip on's, rear sets, levers, bodywork spare set of wheels.. Spare motor. You are looking at at least $6500 - $7000 to get what is on my bike for $4500. Spend the other $2000 on tires and entry fees..

Gerard
    Very tempting. I'm just not looking to drop huge money right now. At least not untill I can work out a good budget and be sure I'm going forward with everything. Don't want to get over my head ya know. I most likely will take the advice and pick up something race ready.

Mike, Team Half-So-Good?

How do I break in

Mike, Team Half-So-Good?
    Perfect Name !!!!

R1 FOR SALE !!!! $5300 right now!!!! $6500 after inspection and registration is completed.....

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

How do I break in

Originally posted by Half Squid
    Perfect Name !!!!

R1 FOR SALE !!!! $5300 right now!!!! $6500 after inspection and registration is completed.....
    easier to sell it with a good title.....

and a $3000 bike plus $2500 to prep it.. = $5500 ..

rearsets $300 min
    clipons $140
    bodywork $500
    suspen $1200-1500
    fairing bracket $100

spare motor and wheels are nice but not needed......

women ??!!
    LRRS#989

How do I break in

Not needed but I have them and they are included in the price...

Gerard

How do I break in

Not needed but I have them and they are included in the price...
    well then that is even better ...i was talking if he bought the salvage bike and built it..........

no keep up here skippy.........

women ??!!
    LRRS#989

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast