Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Breaking my Road Racing Cherry

Breaking my Road Racing Cherry

Well friends, its finally happened. I competed in my first official races this weekend with CCS SouthWest!
    Im running an R6, AM #225, and had one of the best weekends at the track ever! I got my license at the last round at INDE Motorsports Ranch, which is our "local" track, (Firebird is about 2 hrs away, and not nearly as nice a track or facilities) but I didnt race, opting to take it slow and provide pit support.

This time around I was about as ready as I could be, so I pre-registered, attended the track day on the 17th prior to the races to get my feet back under me, which I needed, swapped tires that night for a new set of 211 GP-A's and tried to get some sleep.
    I entered MW Supersport, GP, and Superbike and judging from the times some of the other AM's I would be running against, I was prepared for some good racing, but wasn't really thinking that I would do better than 4th or 5th at the least. INDE is 2.75 miles with 21 corners and a 2200' front straight. Sprint races are 5 laps, and the Grand Prix is 7 laps. Average lap times for AM is in the 2:03-2:05 range with the fast guys running sub-2:00. I didn't break 2:04 at the TD, and was wicked nervous all morning...just trying to keep my composure in the pits, and trying to stay occupied so as not to have a panic attack.
    Apparently though, once I grid up, get my eyes down track and let the clutch out, I zero in, and calm down.

Results

MW SS: 3rd
    MW GP: 3rd
    MW SB: 2nd

I felt cool, calm and collected as I proceeded to surprise my team mates, my sponsors and myself!
    My lap times were back in the low 2:00's and Im still waiting for the results to post for my fast times.
    Super Sport was a good race, figured out my starts suck, and how to not get stuck behind slow people becasue then you can't catch the guys in front. I was late for the GP, missed the warm-up lap, got a poor start, and proceeded to pass 8 people for 2nd place, only to get passed on the last lap! I was gassed, and wasnt going to risk a crash. In Super Bike I got a better start, passed 3 people on the first lap for 1st, which I held till Lap 4, and got nipped by the same guy in the same corner as the GP! Thought I could catch him with a lap and a half to go, but it didn't happen. The MW GP was the best race by far. I was super focused and calm, and all I could do after the race was laugh, it was so good!
    My good friend Tony Scott and I are forming an official race team next year, and are going to try and run the whole CCS CW series for points. The next race is Firebird Main up in PHX for double points, so Im thinking about going up there to upset the local boys!
    I have lots of support and people to thank out here, but would not be where I am now without NESR and the VT Bike Night Crew. So, a very heart felt thank you to Doc, Trouble, Mr. Bread, Slyder27, TimTim, Sandy, Tony's Track Days, Boston Moto, Degs, Scottie, JC Bell, Brett, Firebolt Eric, Peter Kates, Miles Hubert of MotoFab, Cyclewise, Roadside Marine, and those of you who had to put up with my antics and crashes! Looking forward to the day I get to ride and race back at NHMS!

http://www.racersphoto.com/p10654325...35b3#h359035b3
    http://www.racersphoto.com/p62547519...6a8f#h35b86a8f
    http://www.racersphoto.com/p62547519...cd41#h323bcd41
    http://www.racersphoto.com/p10654325...d327f#h4ed327f

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by MotoFreak; 09-19-11 at 09:06 PM.
    Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Banned
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A400 Safari/6531.22.7)

Nice! Jealous as hell

Re: Breaking my Road Racing Cherry

Congrats man. Podiums all day

Congrats Man good job.
    Keep it up

Thank you for sharing and congratulations on the strong finishes!!

If you need any tips on how to butcher someone for 1st place, you know who to ask.

Hell yeah! Way to come out swingin'.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Bam...good work Racing is stoopid fun...good luck

How did the Gpa's Do any shredding at the high track temps I assume...

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar
    Nice work, Bill. Next time, you'll be on top of the box.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Fuckin'-A Bill!!!! Your killin' it out there Bro!! Good luck next season as well!!!

Hope we get to see ya soon! Live Large!

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.71 Safari/534.24)

Firebird is fun. east and west are fun on a small bike but main is good for a 600. the front straight is about a 1/2 mile long but because youre entering the straight at the start line for the drag strip it can be a bit slippery. use a nice controlled slide (spinning the rear) out to the edge to keep momentum.
    you can double apex T1 (i call that whole carousel T1, im not sure what they call it) but i always took a late entry and late apexed it.
    you can take T2 like any other turn as well as T3, you crest a small hill between T3-4 (watch for a wheelie here) and you go into t4 blind but you can carry lots of speed. trail brake through t5 for t6 (it starts getting a little slow through here)
    from T4 on if you fuck up one corner youre essentially screwed until you get to the tower turn and head back out onto the straight. IIRC i took just about all of them as late apex especially the second to last right hander. go deep and throw it in. late apex the tower turn for the best drive onto the straight. IMO, 95% of this track is late apex....but its been a while since ive ridden there and im only going on memory.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Thanks for the love guys! I wish I could have got some laps in last year at NHMS, but it wasn't in the cards. I can't wait to be a broke AM road racer next season!

Thanks for the tips Oxx. I've been watching some youtube footage of Main to get prepped. FB Main is home to most of the guys I was competing with, and they really want me to head to PHX for the last round...I would love to head up there and give them a good run. I think they were a little hurt that I beat them

Quote Originally Posted by Pigman View Post
    How did the Gpa's Do any shredding at the high track temps I assume...
    The only serious wear I got was from my last race on the right side, front and rear. I didn't have time to check my pressures before heading out, so they could have been a little low. I was running 34-24 psi as it was fairly hot Sunday. Our Dunlop guy said running them a little higher will help keep em cooler.

Carpe Diem
    '10 Yamaha R6-Race-
    '05 Aprilia Tuono Racing -Street-
    #46, Expert, CVMA -cvmaracing.com-

Quote Originally Posted by MotoFreak View Post
    Thanks for the love guys! I wish I could have got some laps in last year at NHMS, but it wasn't in the cards. I can't wait to be a broke AM road racer next season!

Thanks for the tips Oxx. I've been watching some youtube footage of Main to get prepped. FB Main is home to most of the guys I was competing with, and they really want me to head to PHX for the last round...I would love to head up there and give them a good run. I think they were a little hurt that I beat them

The only serious wear I got was from my last race on the right side, front and rear. I didn't have time to check my pressures before heading out, so they could have been a little low. I was running 34-24 psi as it was fairly hot Sunday. Our Dunlop guy said running them a little higher will help keep em cooler.

Yea.....thats the GPA's down fall they still shred just not as bad a previous models....Jump to Ntec's and run 33 23 for pressure check them when you come off the track and adj as needed..and go Balls out they are SICK tires...I like the 6680 I think Med soft compound..

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.2) AppleWebKit/534.24 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/11.0.696.71 Safari/534.24)

they still giving out fake money for placing?

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Congrats Bill!

LRRS EX #7
    Low Down Racing
    - Woodcraft - Armour Bodies - Computrack Boston - Lifeproof -

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Good work Bill, after a season of racing... maybe you can have nice street bikes again and not crash them...

Nothin' but love bro...

CCS/LRRS #83

Quote Originally Posted by butcher bergs View Post

If you need any tips on how to butcher someone for 1st place, you know who to ask.

Hey I take that personally dammit...

LRRS #387

just saw this thread...

FUCK YEAH BOSS!!!!!

Way to take it easy and throw down!

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Great showing. Welcome to the Club.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

I really need to race next year.

great job bill! glad to hear youre enjoying yourself out there. cant wait to have ya back here to turn some laps, and maybe go for a hooligan ride or two.

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Great job bro !!

Miss you back in VT - really hope you get to race @ NHMS at some point.

~that which doth not kill me can only make me stronger~

LRRS / CCS - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke387 View Post
    Hey I take that personally dammit...

That wasn't a butchering, Larry.

When are you gonna be back out there? I see you cruising around the pits every once in a while....

Prob next spring. Had some bike issues early on this yr and also was/am waaay outta shape. Was really catching up to me and the times were showing it. I was faster as a NV, doh. Didn't want to keep throwing $1k/weekend away and coming away frustrated with myself for being an outta shape slob, lol. Besides, you seemed to have picked up where I left off...

LRRS #387