Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Brews close calls from week 8

Brews close calls from week 8

I had a few this last race weekend. The major ones were on Sunday but Saturday wasn't free of close calls either!

GTL race was my first rain race in three years so I was just trying to circulate and feel the track. As it gets going the 2 year old rain tires seem to be getting plenty of traction so I keep putting a bit more to them. Things are going well when I come around 3 and am lining up a pass when.... there is a white bike on the ground square in the middle of the line as you head up the hill in 4! This of course is also being avoided by the bike I am about to pass! I run it REALLY wide, clip the edge of the track avoiding both of them and continue on.

In the LWSB race I was going into T3 and had just started to turn it in when... I hear a loud clunk... and the next thing I know I'm pointing at the tires at the edge of the beach! I manage to slow it down enough and go through the beach, rooster it and get back on track. This of course after 5 bikes go by me! I put my head down and try to make up ground but it kind of shook me a bit and I couldn't focus enough. Oh well I did manage to make up a few spots. After the race Josh Kruse, who pits next to me comes over and apologizes for hitting me (nice guy and damn fast racer), so that explains what happened.

Race #9 ULSB. This is going to be a weird race before it even starts! The weather is doing the Loudon Triangle thing, clearing, misting, clearing, sprinkling, clearing.... you know the drill. So I decide to just leave the rains on and go out. The race starts and I nailed a good start. The only problem is the track is drying and the rains are going to over heat quickly if it stays like this. After a few laps it is still getting drier, this is when SMF (Scott) comes around me to take the lead. I am keeping him close when the rain starts again. We are both clipping along pretty good and not really slowing for the rain. Scott tips it into 11 and his front says no more. This of course is directly in front of me! I somehow found just a bit more late braking traction and completely focus on the small part of clear track left. I get through the chicane and just try not to over test my traction as the rain gets harder. T12 however almost ended my race the next lap. A little too much juice and I had a very long rear slide that had my knee on the ground, she however gripped back up and allowed me to finish.

The rain was fun but boy did it test my nerves. Guess 2 year old rain tyres and no real rain racing experience can combine for some interesting moments.

Overall it was a fun last race weekend and now I am already looking forward to next season!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

Re: Brews close calls from week 8

great weekend, way to keep it up in sketchy conditions. congrats on the win. and thanks for not running me over (I was just about to start slowing down 'cause of that damn rain )

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)