Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

newbie question, 2 strokes

so just wondering. i have this love of 2 strokes, always had fun on em, offroad and my daytona (even though the rd was loose and sketchy as hell..).

was wondering if anyone feels like giving me an idea of the cost of running one of those 125/250 aprilia or honda deals for a season.. and the pros/cons.. be as detailed (or not) as you like, the more info the better... also what is the scene for 2 strokes like? do many people run them etc?

will i have more fun just doing the ex500 thing with everyone? (fun is my main goal).

i've raced on dirt before, but road racing is the new frontier, haven't done it.. so anything relevant with respect to that is welcome also.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2007 GSX-R600
    1997 ZX-9R (sold)
    1979 RD400F Daytona Special (sold - i know, i know)
    Had at one point or another for off-road: KX125, Four-trax 250R, 250 3wheeler, XR250, XR400

Two many 2 strokes

I saw a bunch of smokers there....Very fun to watch....I think you should go check it out... Those dam motards are quicker...the two strokes just sound so sweet.....Checkout my post for "expansion chamber". Got a pcture of my new project cr500 in a modern frame...for street duty...

Cheers

Animal Hill Super Motard Champion Johnny B's Avatar

You'll get more track time at NHIS with a 125 GP bike because the USCRA runs them too. They have 4 dates this coming season, two of them on a Monday immediately following an LRRS event.

Johnny B. (the other one) ®
    Butler's Rest Home - "No Vacancy"
    Super Motard Champ 1981, 1982, 1983, 1984, 1985

Visit the Rest Home: http://resthome.50megs.com

"Listen to your ass, it's giving you lots of information!" - Buddy Melges

I did 4 years on a Yamaha TZ250... which is more race oriented than the RS250 aprilia's.

Anyway, I loved racing that bike (actually, those bikes... I had a 93 and then a 94)

Once you have a "perfect" bike... figure on a top end every 300 miles or so and a bottom end every 1500 to 2000 miles.

It's been a while, but I seem to recall the topends running in the $250 range and the bottomends in the $1500 range. However, the bottom ends can be rebuilt once at a cost of maybe $350. So rebuild one year and replace the next.

Then you need race gas which is now in the $8 range or so, I think?

I say "once you have a perfect bike" because most times when you buy these, they require a top end and bottom end right off the bat, so figure that cost into the purchase if the seller can't provide proof both are fresh.

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Mmmm... smoker, my favorite flavor for roadracing and dirt. I ran an EX for 2 years, then a 125 for 4 years. The 125 cost at least double what it cost to race an EX, but it was 10 times the bike! Actually, I don't think there's a better bike for the job at hand (which is to rail and have fun).

I would estimate that you could runa a full season for 5K if your careful. If you have more specific questions, fire away!

Paul_E_D

Paul,what is the biggest person you've seen run a 125? just curious because i also love 2 smokes but i can't see myself fitting on one!!! i'm 6 foot 230lbs. I know i'm a fat ass!!! I used to race a 93 honda rs 250 and loved that thing but i looked like a guerrilla on it-shit i look like a guerrilla on anything i ride!!!

Rob Ruggiero
    lrrs ex#828 (retired)
    www.speeddemoncycles.net

Biggest guy I've seen on a 125 was out of Canada. His name is Bergey. He's well over 6 foot, but not 230 I don't think. He switched to a 250. You can mod these bikes to fit you, but it will be tough to go fast on them. They lack torque, and are slow when topheavy. I think a motard is a better fit...

Paul_E_D

I know I look like a monkey on a mini bike when I ride my bikes...But the feeling of the powerband,the smell of the VP C12 mixed with Castor 927 and the noise of my chambers resonating at 10 grand is too much a grin factor,then to worry about how I look on them...Nothing like throwing a light nimble rocket around...I'd pick up a RS250 or TZ250 in a second if I was looking for some track time..