Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Camping tips / info for race weekends

Camping tips / info for race weekends

So I purchased a nice older 24’ camper this weekend. I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time and with my discounted lodging no longer available in Concord, it’s timely. I was able to confirm with Anne Marie Zube that camper storage is still a thing at the track, and I will be utilizing that service so that I can tow the bikes up and then drag the camper to the paddock from the storage lot.

I’m new to having a camper and info about using one in the paddock is hard to track down. I was hoping I could get a few questions answered:

1. Can I get the camper anytime thursday night from the storage lot?
    2. How / who do I coordinate getting a space with shore power should I want it?
    3. I see long, heavy duty extension cords running form campers to garages. Are people using their A/C’s on these?
    4. Can you get the camper out for other uses during non-race weekends during the season
    5. Do you need a garage pass for your camper, or just your truck?

Thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Camping tips / info for race weekends

If you have a garage, you can pull power from it, 20A breaker per receptacle. That will run an AC, but not a good idea when your warmers are also on that same outlet... Each garage gets two lanes, four passes, generally they don't seem to care weather or not trailers/campers have passes unless someone complains? AKA stay in your lanes and you should be fine, assuming your garage mates are OK with the loss of parking space.

There is no reserving camping spots in the infield, and you must pay for both a camping spot AND power at the gate if you're going to do so. Once you've got the tag/sticker it's first come first serve. The track did announce new fancy camping outside the infield that includes sewer, but if you're looking to pinch pennies that may not be the hot setup for you. There is a dump station in the infield by the T2-T3 straight bathrooms. $20 to use, you're supposed to prepay at the gate and get a receipt, but the staffer manning it has let me use it on the honor system. (They radio up to gate anyways so it's not like I could really sneak out on the bill if I wanted to.) If you don't use your shower, you can likely go multiple weekends before dumping.

I've no idea on what the details are re-access to the storage lot, that would be an Anne-marie question.

Quote Originally Posted by eforer View Post
    So I purchased a nice older 24’ camper this weekend. I’ve been wanting to do this for a long time and with my discounted lodging no longer available in Concord, it’s timely. I was able to confirm with Anne Marie Zube that camper storage is still a thing at the track, and I will be utilizing that service so that I can tow the bikes up and then drag the camper to the paddock from the storage lot.

I’m new to having a camper and info about using one in the paddock is hard to track down. I was hoping I could get a few questions answered:

1. Can I get the camper anytime thursday night from the storage lot?
    2. How / who do I coordinate getting a space with shore power should I want it?
    3. I see long, heavy duty extension cords running form campers to garages. Are people using their A/C’s on these?
    4. Can you get the camper out for other uses during non-race weekends during the season
    5. Do you need a garage pass for your camper, or just your truck?

Thanks in advance!
    1) Once you’re in the gate you will have access to the long term lot at any time.

2) You just pick a camping spot in the infield and plug in. Some people are territorial, keep that in mind when picking a spot.

3) Yes. Usually the camper will have one and you can buy extensions.

4) Anytime the track is open regular hours they will let you access your camper. They are open pretty late most days. If it’s a nascar weekend or another big event you may be out of luck though.

5) If you plan to park your camper in front of the garage, leave the pass on it. You're still limited to your assigned garage parking space, but some people do it to avoid a camping fee. If you park in the camping area you have to pay camping fees and no pass is needed.

Last edited by maxim_X; 05-26-19 at 10:14 AM.
    LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

I know the April round, several guys were tripping the breaker all trying to use heaters off the outlets in the garage. I like the freedom of being away from the garage by seting up in the infield, too. I would think a 24' will take most of the parking spot up in front of a garage, too.

Also, to correct Josh, it's a set $25/ night for a campsite. Thai includes electric and water hook up.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    I know the April round, several guys were tripping the breaker all trying to use heaters off the outlets in the garage. I like the freedom of being away from the garage by seting up in the infield, too. I would think a 24' will take most of the parking spot up in front of a garage, too.

Also, to correct Josh, it's a set $25/ night for a campsite. Thai includes electric and water hook up.
    The ambulance with the camper was taking exactly 2 spots (front and back). You’re pretty spot on.

Everything else has been covered.

That's new, they used to charge separately if you wanted electric. (Digging back through my emails, appears this changed in 2016, defacto charging the camp + electric rate no matter what going forward. The notice also mentions a $350 flat rate for the season if you want to go that route instead of nightly, covers all year minus NASCAR events. If you're paying for more than 14 days, that flat rate is a bargain. I was done tenting by that time so, didn't pay attention.) The new fancy camping area is $75 a night if you want to overlook T3, but you can't have your race bike pitted in that family zone.

Thanks for the info guys. I’m in the north garages and I see that there are some hookups near 11 and 12. Does anyone know if those are some of the spots taken by more territorial types? They would be the most convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by eforer View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. I’m in the north garages and I see that there are some hookups near 11 and 12. Does anyone know if those are some of the spots taken by more territorial types? They would be the most convenient.
    John Grush is at T12 and Chris Woodman is at T11. I also want to say there is something special about parking up against the fence there but you’d have to ask one of them or someone else here may know.

Last edited by Tas; 05-28-19 at 08:46 PM.
    2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

I think he meant the hook ups in front of garage 11 and 12 north?

They should go with the garage they are in front of, but that side of north is weird. I know smoking Joe sets up in one spot and Tim is in the other. Our spots are rather limited for 4 people sharing as is.

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66

Quote Originally Posted by sdog30 View Post
    I think he meant the hook ups in front of garage 11 and 12 north?

They should go with the garage they are in front of, but that side of north is weird. I know smoking Joe sets up in one spot and Tim is in the other. Our spots are rather limited for 4 people sharing as is.
    ahhhh......my mistake.

2004 SV650
    1979 GS 850GN
    2005 Tt-r125
    NEMRR #246 - Woodcraft / Armour Bodies / Hindle Exhaust / Central Mass Powersports

Yeah, I was talking about the hookups there. Sounds like I can ask Joe what the deal is there.

What garage are you in?

LRRS/CCS #66

North 13

So as it always has been the garage get the tarmac in front of its door to the fence (on the south side of N garages.) I go against the fence in front of N G12 on the south side. If you need 30amp power (for AC or whatever) go online and get a really long extension for cheap, they are WAY more expensive in stores.
    With a decent heavy extension you may be able to get away with just going to garage power at night but not when warmers go on.

There are also 30/50 amp outlets at the garage ends if you pull up there or extension it. Get adapters that go between 30 & 50 amps so you can plug into any of them in case you need to share an outlet bank with someone (Walmart has most of those cheap) but they will save you much headache to have.

I ended up just getting 3 days of camping and parking it in one of the hook up spots nearer to the infield entrance. $75 for camping and not having to worry about bogarting someone's special spot was worth it to me. I'll chat with folks this weekend about what to do / where to park for the remainder of the season.