Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

CCS is considering rider owned transponders

Re: CCS is considering rider owned transponders

Dirtbike.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Piano

Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

Banned

IIIIIICCCCEEEEEEEE----------AAAAAAAHHHHH!

I wrote to LRRS asking about starting a mentor program for new racers. This was about 2 years ago. Still no reply. When they ask you what can they do to increase attendance they are just saying that to appease you.

Tony's posts in this thread were the only realistic and sensible ones that I've seen.

You all sound like a bunch of whiney babies who want everything for free. The track is a business trying to make money in a poor economy, and motorcycle racing does JACK SHIT for them.

In the mix of all that, they still appear to be putting in an honest effort to improve the series. (track improvements, extra champ money, bringing in legends series, moving classic back to fathers day and bike week weekend, etc etc etc)

Yeah, i want a new PA too. But I'm not going to get all menstrual about it.

Drop the us vs. them attitude and keyboard commando shit and be objective in your thinking for a minute. Then, if you still want to quit, do it... I'll miss you on the grid and lament how grids are low, until eventually they are so low the series is cancelled and no one gets to race. If you want to take your racing funds somewhere else, well, yeah... tell me how that goes for you financially.

Guess what, all these costs (unconfirmed) are minimal and sensible. You got a free ride on the transponder up until now, you should be thanking not bitching.
    Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Yet somehow the walls in T2, 3, the giant rock in T4 and the wall in T12 all still exist.

BTW, how much did those new bathrooms up near the bleachers cost? You know, the ones that were in "dire" need of being built, or were those considered part of the T6 improvements? 50,000 seems like an aweful lot of cake for a 6 foot wide, 50 foot long patch of tar and some rocks.

I gotta say, they made it real easy. Come 2011 I'll be taking all my racing money and going elsewhere. Just isn't worth it at Loudon anymore.
    You're a good friend of mine bergs but you sound like the whiniest of the whiney bitches in this thread.

THIS TRACK WILL NEVER BE "SAFE" UNTIL THEY BUILD A NEW TRACK (which based on grids/attendance and money they make from our events they have no perogative to do). Also, everyone complains about safety but I have seen very few incidents where folks got hurt merely as a result of the track's layout. Other tracks are just as bad in most cases, Loudon just gets a lot of press. All of the serious injuries and deaths at Loudon have been unrelated to track layout except for maybe one (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and it spurred a layout change.

The improvements at the track that they did easily cost 50k. What do you want them to do? Honestly, explain to me how they could possibly, within reason both logistically and financially, make our little roadracing course (that makes them no money BTW) safe?

And as far as taking your racing money elsewhere... well, you didn't even race this year... although it appears you're now racing your keyboard

Love you buddy

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

Eat shit Chris.

Read your PM's fucko.

Last edited by butcher bergs; 09-10-10 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bergs View Post
    Eat shit Chris.
    Blow me, baldy

PM Sent

Last edited by CEO; 09-10-10 at 07:55 AM.
    Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103
    PPS | Dunlop | Boston Moto | Woodcraft & Armour Bodies | 35 Motorsports | Pit Bull | K&N

I've spent $1500 in leathers, $600 on a helmet, $400 on boots, $200 on gloves, $150 on a back protector.....

$60 to help the emt's SAFELY take my helmet off in the event of a serious crash sounds okay to me....

(that's all I gots)

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    Dirtbike.
    Come out and play tomorrow in Franklin around 3:30pm Id go earlier but we have dog class from 1-2.

As for the added costs. Dont know if Ill return next season. Depends how the winter goes I guess. Id really like to sell my race bike and try something different but its looking like I might be on a 07 R6 next year. Could be a lot worse

James

Holy crap! Did everyone go insane last night?

Chuck, if you drop out, I am going to freakin slap you.
    Chip, if you drop out, I am going to slap you and make fun of you.

Nobody likes to spend more money, but we aren't talking about some rediculous amount. The helmet thing; I am sure as long as you have a Snell 05 or 10 helmet that is within 5 years of the date of manufacturer you will be fine, just like before. Mine is going to expire anyway. Transponders; this will make it easier for the staff and for us. One less weekend; good one more weekend that I can race somewhere else.

Not everything has to be negative. Unless you want to see it that way.

CCS/LRRS/NEMM AM #205 (Inactive)

Well like it or not, obviously some people have concerned with the potential added fees. And if too many people have concerns there wont be racing for anyone. Like I said, this doesnt affect me much, except I def wont be racing at Loudon next year, but that was only going to be one weekend anyway. But assuming I was going to be racing all season, this would definitely influence a number of decisions that would have to be made.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

The fees didn't kill it for me, but alot of the BS of (mainly NHMS new management, and partly LRRS) has tipped the scales of the Fun vs. Cost balance. Going fast is fun, I wanna do some 13's and maybe an AMA run or two... but at this point, I have other ventures to get out of my system that require time and money that has been going to racing.

I see no problems with any of the safety regulations that have a minimal price tag, however it would be nice to see them (CCS, not even LRRS) move to RFID timing (advance a little bit) if they are going to do a major rule change on timing equipment.

I am pumped about the other things I will be doing in 2011 (because I'm not running LRRS) but I have no quarrels about coming back for my fix if thats where I end up. Right now I have some ways to have more fun for way less money. If money was disposable for me, and I was single - I'd be doing LRRS, NJMP, ESMRA, NEMM, etc. etc.

DAMN THE MAN!!! SAVE THE EMPIRE!!!!

Lets take matters into our own hands...

Viva la revolución!

In all honesty I understand the cost:fun ratio... I haven't seen a green flag since October 2008 because of it, and let me tell ya... I'd kill to get back out there. And I will, once I'm in a position to do so. Keep in mind, the US vs. THEM attitude with LRRS and the track isn't going to help anyone... they've made some pretty big improvements over the last year or so and seem as though that trend is going to continue. They're a business, like Tony said... and the fact that they make little off anything but NASCAR and have still made track improvements says something about them. If the cost of racing is getting above your budget, maybe don't run 5 races a weekend. Or do half the season for fun, that'll cut your expenses for the season in half.

I'm not targeting anybody specifically, but the amount of new(ish) racers that air out their personal feelings here about how things should be run without knowing anything about how/why things are done currently is amusing (not that I'm a veteran or anything myself). If you have an idea, talk to a rider rep... if your idea doesn't become a reality it isn't a plot against you. Maybe your idea just sucked.

They are not an evil empire plotting against you and your hobbies.

Last edited by RyanNicholson; 09-10-10 at 10:38 AM.

Exactly, Ryan... my sentiments precisely.

Zip-Tie Alley Racing
    LRRS/CCS #103

Frankly, since it's been a full season of sitting on the sidelines for me, I don't give a $hit if they set up a cone course in the parking lot and charge the same amount. I'm just going to be stoked to squeeze into my leathers and throw a leg over the bike. Hell I'll probably be laughing maniacally when I get a knee down again...

Fitz

Quote Originally Posted by 35racer View Post
    But I am also realistic. If the track doesn't make a profit on motorcycle events...then motorcycle events cease to happen.

We'll either settle on a price structure that works for everyone... or NHMS will no longer have motorcycle related events. Will someone else fill this void? Maybe.
    Maybe? Reducing events is no way to generate profit. Introducing an event to "get people in the stands", is the first step to eliminating us.

If the new legend cars bring in 30% of the yearly income, then it stands to reason the cars will get 30% of the facility. We enjoy 100% usage now at our events. I would not count on that continuing.

I wish it looked the other way around, but I cannot resolve the dollar trail any other way...then there is the liability of bikes on course, how many car guys died this year at NHMS?

Lots of liability, little profit; talk to me Tony, make me feel better about the LRRS future...

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

If NHMS is only turning a profit on NASCAR days, then we'd already be gone, along with track days, SCCA, etc. Whats the justification otherwise? Increased noise complaints, having to staff and maintain the place most of the year, etc, all to loose money earned in one or two easy events by comparison? NASCAR attendance won't change if NHMS stops hosting all these other events, so... why bother if it costs money?

Sorry, I don't just don't buy the 'loosing money on LRRS' argument.

As far as the 'free ride' on transponders up to this point? No, entry fees were increased to pay for them, you just don't see it as a separate line item when you fill out your paperwork. Question now is weather or not they'll be lowered now that the maint costs of a fleet of transponders has gone away?

That all said, the main reason all this irks me is a direct result of this last race weekend. Last year you couldn't stand in the ZTA or T1A North Annex garages without being on top of a bike or racer/friend. This weekend, it was creepy empty. Same with the infield, I recall years past where announcements on the PA and at the riders meeting were made asking people to be polite and take up as little room as possible due to the sheer number of people present. This last weekend me and my lil one man tent had our own little fiefdom of space. The infield wasn't empty but it sure wasn't full.

Attendance is dropping, and the bar to entry is being raised. That's my beef. Add in that in order to race next year, after taking this year off I still need to buy/build a new bike from scratch, plus these new expenses, on top of a bunch of my friends already dropping out... I'm a bit sore on the topic right now and will freely admit the combined effect is clouding my view of things.

Quote Originally Posted by legalspeed View Post

Reducing events is no way to generate profit.
    Sure it is.

If it costs X dollars to prepare and operate an LRRS weekend and the track makes X-Y, then it stands to reason that not running that event will make the track money.

It can use that weekend and run some other event that makes X + Y.

This is not to say that every LRRS event loses money, but if there are fewer events, there is a good possibility that the remaining ones will be more profitable.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Even if the track is only breaking even on LRRS weekends, it's all about cash flow. The track still employs full time people - be it staff, maintenance, security, etc. The track, too, has bills. An LRRS weekend puts cash money into the bank from us, which in turn, gives the track some cash to pay these bills. Kind of like a paycheck to paycheck type thing....Also, it keeps their credit line open for more upgrades (if they choose) or purchases because of this cash flow....

Sure it is.

If it costs X dollars to prepare and operate an LRRS weekend and the track makes X-Y, then it stands to reason that not running that event will make the track money.

This is not to say that every LRRS event loses money, but if there are fewer events, there is a good possibility that the remaining ones will be more profitable.
    This makes sense only if the track is LOSING money on every LRRS event that they run, which would mean that they probably would have stopped running those events a long time ago.

Most likely it's X cost to run the track for the race weekend/trackday/w\e ... they bring in Y in revenue. Y-X would equal how much they make in net revenue for the event (R). NOW the key here is that it costs money every day just to have the track, whether they run an event or not (taxes/utilities/misc fixed costs). So if their revenue (R) covers even part of those fixed costs, it is worthwhile for them to run the day/weekend. Even if they aren't making a true profit, they are minimizing their overall loss.

So if they are reducing LRRS event weekends, it stands to reason that they are most likely covering those costs in another way/other events.

I'm not a racer - so I won't comment on the costs opinion wise. I will say that after reading this thread and really understanding the costs - I think I will enjoy my Bomo membership next year and stick to trackdays.

They don't lose money on every LRRS... just some of the real lightly attended ones. (again, this is my guess... I am not privy to their books).

But logic says that dropping one LRRS event might keep the remaining events profitable since attendance at those will likely go up.

It's no different than why LAPS had to cancel trackday. Too many of us running trackdays caused most of the dates to be under attended. Supply outpaced demand.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Sure it is.

Ok, I don't have the info to make a fair judgement. reducing by one weekend won't be that much of a difference.

Cool, it's not like I'm going anywhere else for a series, it's close, and the cost-to other-track ratio is really a wash.

One of the good things about loudon is the medical staff and the track staff. Mel, JohnnyB, and the like make it home. I bet our medical staff is amongst the best in the country.

LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

Quote Originally Posted by lrrs313 View Post
    They obviously understand economics to some extent. Look how much they are advertising their NASCRAP tickets "starting at only 39 dollars!" I'm really starting to think the new owners are simply trying to run LRRS out of business, probably so they can do away with the pesky road course.
    You realize that NHMS owns the LRRS series, right? If they wanted to "run it out of business..." they'd just stop doing it.
    Unfortunately, when you have NASCAR to deal with... and a declining revenue from motorcycles... you can't just go moving walls and sponsor signs.
    Remember when you suggested they remove that steel billboard support girder on the inside of T10?

"That billboard generates $XXXXXXXXXXXXX dollars during a NASCAR event, more than the LRRS series."

Quote Originally Posted by ceo and a bunch of numbers View Post
    Tony's posts in this thread were the only realistic and sensible ones that I've seen.
    Hey! I think I said some of the stuff Tony did, before he said it!

God I Love this site. Where else can you watch the progression of the topic of conversation go from information that is a thanked and welcomed heads up, to listening to bickering and bantering about how un happy people are but will not do anyhting but complain on here rather than attempt to make a differance. Safer helmet, another motorsport to share the weekend with, returning the classic to fathers day weekend, one less event, my own one time buy transponder and a discounted price. I dont see how it is really going to be that bad. regaurdless if i will be gridded up with 20 others or 2 others, ill be there to race and camp with friends and bench race at night around the fire, you know the things we forget about. Ill Be there....Ill be there

Just a couple of observations on this topic from someone very new to LRRS, but have race cars for the past 18 years. Most of my car racing was with SCCA Pro and Club racing.

We have always had to buy our own transponders.
    Every year there has been safety equipment mandates/updates that cost money- Hans device, window net life span, harness life span, helmet lifespan, head restraints etc.
    race enteries are getting over the top- for example Limerock entry for the next race is $365 that gives you 2 15 minute qualifying sessions and a 30 minute race. (this is a regional club race)
    Then there are the consumables like tires, depending on the class you run you can go thru a set every two races at a low end of $500 a set.

As for motorcycle racing not bringing enough to the table for NHMS to invest in a new road course, you have to concider all the other organizations that want it as well. All the road racing and track day organizations run mostly the same road course we do, minus the 11a-12 complex and 1 thru 2 though they do run our 1-2 version sometimes and there are a lot. So when looking at the investment of a new course you need to also take into account- SCCA, COMS, PCA, SCCDA, EMRA, Carting and all the rest. Not to mention the potential of attracting Pro racing back to NHMS, AMA??? Grand AM, SCCA etc.

Summary racing is expensive no matter what you race. But it is a passion so we accept that as best as our means allow. I dont think what LRRS is asking for is out of what is normal in other organizations. Would I like to see safety improvements and or a new track hell yes. Even though I race on limited basis (so far) I will continue to race with them because I enjoy it.

Alex

Last edited by VT-GSD; 09-11-10 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Correct text

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast