Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

CCS Rule Updates for 2008

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Ha! Ha!
    thats OK Doc.... i look forward to your whining when someone shows up with an RC4 and races in ULSB and whoops everyones ass.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    thats OK Doc.... i look forward to your whining when someone shows up with an RC4 and races in ULSB and whoops everyones ass.
    How did you find out about the RC4.. Oh yeah wait... I posted it!

As I have said MANY times I don't race a Hawk anymore. Motards and even SV's are not much of a worry anymore.

(My riding ability... that is another story)

Bully!

Last edited by Doc; 12-07-07 at 10:47 PM.
    "I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Thats's what I had. I believe my head was decked for highter compression. I noticed one of the sparkplugs was tapping the piston. Shorter ones will be called for. I ran the 93.

Dan, I guessing by the way you oil, sparkplugs, valves ,chamber all looked you did not have the compression close enough to be operating on the 12.

mmmkaaay. and you ran 93. so I'll ask again... exactly why does dan's hawk need C12?

not being a PITA. actually want a proven reason since I've got some nasty heads in my motor. although normal head gaskets were used when we reassembled it.

Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

The Duc runs C12...

Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    The Duc runs C12...
    Not really a good comparison. Air cooled Duc's need the C12 if the compression is increased much above stock. Not as efficient and or uniform cooling plus combustion chamber design cause the need for the increased octane requirement of C12 for the Duc's.

I am not familiar with the Hawk's but they are water cooled which helps alot with alleviating the need for an increase in octane. Of course all combustion/induction modifications can affect this.

Bottom line is that a well designed combustion chamber will not require as high of an octane requirement as a poorer design. That said you want to use the lowest octane fuel that will NOT cause pre-detonation.

ps - I'm glad that it appears ULSB will still be a Hawk competitive class at LRRS. I think the Hawks are cool bikes and the fact that after 2 decades they are still competitive says volumes!

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418

good info in there. thx. how does one tell if they have pre-detonation?

Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

Pre-ignition is when the intake charge is ignited too early. The combustion pressure exerts large forces on the upward traveling piston and can destroy the engine. On the other hand, detonation can occur at any point during the combustion process. It is basically a violent and uncontrolled explosion in the combustion chamber. Although folks commonly refer to combustion as an "explosion" it is actually more appropriately termed a "controlled burn". Explosions in the combustion chamber are undesirable, and the violent release of energy can also destroy an engine. Pre-ignition can sometimes lead to detonation because the premature burn is simultaneously compressed. Pre-ignition and detonation are both bad news. Detonation is usually caused by a *lean* A/F mix. (Vacuum leaks) or improper jetting. Also by low octane fuel,over advanced timing, lugging of engine, and of course excessive carbon in the combustion chamber. A rich mixture can lead to detonation due to excessive carbon buildup in the combustion chamber decreasing its volume and raising the compression excessively.

Listen for pinging.

BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

If you're not sure what pinging sounds like, imagine dragging a screwdriver across the fins on an HD very fast.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789