Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

View Poll Results: Read first post

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fuck it, race and try to use all that power

9 37.50%
  • Meh, try to do one race to keep license and hope you don't crash/get hurt

8 33.33%
  • Don't race, save up for next year and talk with LRRS about keeping your license

3 12.50%
  • Bemused

4 16.67%

What would your choice be

What would your choice be

So to start this off, I was looking forward to racing this year. But, as circumstances happened, its looking like I'm potentially taking this year off.

I went down for Round 1 while I was still at my previous employer. I wasn't able to race or practice on the new SV because of some ignition issues. While there, like last year, I had union seniority, benefit time, short term disability with my job. So, i feel that my job is relatively safe should something happen.

Shortly after Rd 1, I started a new job. Same career field, same job, just different employer. The catch is, I started with no benefit time, no short term disability, and I'm on probation for a year.

So, if you were in the same or similar situation, where you were essentially an at will employee for a year with no cause termination clauses, would you race?

I've already made my decision and what you say won't impact my choice, but I just wanted to see what others would do.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by jcbell1007; 06-22-11 at 09:46 PM.

Re: What would your choice be

Quote Originally Posted by jcbell1007 View Post
    So to start this off, I was looking forward to racing this year. But, as circumstances happened, its looking like I'm taking this year off.

I went down for Round 1 while I was still at my previous employer. I had union seniority, benefit time, short term disability etc...

Shortly after Rd 1, I started a new job. Same career field, same job, just different employer. The catch is, I started with no benefit time, no short term disability, and I'm on probation for a year.

So, if you were in the same or similar situation, where you were essentially an at will employee for a year with no cause termination clauses, would you race?

I've already made my decision and what you say won't impact my choice, but I just wanted to see what others would do.
    I would try and make it down for what fits your schedule and do it more for the camraderie than the competiton...

There are always trackdays.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

take it easy and do some track days

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

I've been employed that way since I entered the job market 15+ years ago, hasn't stopped me any.

Dude, you're being really responsible. Good on you. But, you have the rest of your life to do that, and it's only gonna get worse. Just go out and race when you can, just don't take extra days off, show up Friday nights like me and run it!

Maybe take out a policy with aflac!

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Oh, and if you want, I can add in a bunch of guilt and peer pressure about how you're leaving the GMR novices out to dry. DICK!

You just like DOC! O Fuck yeah!!!! That happened!!!

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f

I would guess that most people on here do not have an employment contract and can be terminated at any time. If that was the only factor in my decision, then yes I would.

However, you are the only one who can make the call based on your circumstances.

Curious why you would even ask? Who cares what the we say.

IMHO, it depends on who is counting on you to come home healthy. If its a cat and roommate, race. If its a wife and kids, don't be stupid. If you have a mortgage and don't have 3 months living expenses in the bank, I wouldn't.

Original

My job, LE, is a a touch different and most people probably would never even think twice about it. However, something as stupid as a sprained finger/hand, can sideline me and impair my performance. If you think about it this way, if you needed help, would you want someone physically sub-par coming to help you out? I wouldn't want to put myself in that position and I don't think my employer would either. They will put people on light duty, and desk jobs, but those aren't permanent or long term positions.

There is no contract per-se, but there are union protections against termination once I get over probation. If I put the burden on the department while I don't have those to find me a desk job or something light duty, there is the chance that they may tell me to go pound sand.

I don't care what other people say. I was just posing the question. The conversation is good because I'm sure I'm not the only one that has thought about this or will have to think about this. I have talked this through with a number of my friends already and they know what my intentions are.

It's killing me that I've missed 3 rounds already. Part of it is my schedule as well, and the fact that I have no vacation/comp time to take in order to make it down for the weekend. July looks promising though, we'll see what happens....

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    IMHO, it depends on who is counting on you to come home healthy. If its a cat and roommate, race. If its a wife and kids, don't be stupid. If you have a mortgage and don't have 3 months living expenses in the bank, I wouldn't.
    Spoken like a financial advisor

BTW, thanks for the help on the IRA advice. It worked out great for me. How the hell did you know I have a roomate with a cat? stalk much?

Last edited by jcbell1007; 06-22-11 at 10:47 PM.

My job, LE, is a a touch different and most people probably would never even think twice about it. However, something as stupid as a sprained finger/hand, can sideline me and impair my performance. If you think about it this way, if you needed help, would you want someone physically sub-par coming to help you out? I wouldn't want to put myself in that position and I don't think my employer would either. They will put people on light duty, and desk jobs, but those aren't permanent or long term positions.

There is no contract per-se, but there are union protections against termination once I get over probation. If I put the burden on the department while I don't have those to find me a desk job or something light duty, there is the chance that they may tell me to go pound sand.

I don't care what other people say. I was just posing the question. The conversation is good because I'm sure I'm not the only one that has thought about this or will have to think about this. I have talked this through with a number of my friends already and they know what my intentions are.

It's killing me that I've missed 3 rounds already. Part of it is my schedule as well, and the fact that I have no vacation/comp time to take in order to make it down for the weekend. July looks promising though, we'll see what happens....
    if you wanna do july, i'll figure out some way to make it happen on my end too. i wasnt going to, but im all about rationalizing

CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f

The best thing about racing, it'll always be there when you're ready to get back to it.
    Personally, I'd try and do a race (or weekend) to keep my license up...but if I knew way in advance I could only do one, it'd be sept or oct when the license was cheaper. And come back with a vengeance in 2012 before the world ends.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    The best thing about racing, it'll always be there when you're ready to get back to it.
    Personally, I'd try and do a race (or weekend) to keep my license up...but if I knew way in advance I could only do one, it'd be sept or oct when the license was cheaper. And come back with a vengeance in 2012 before the world ends.
    these sum it up perfectly

Scott
    1990 Honda Hawk NT700 (rebuilt?)
    2012 Ducati Streetfighter 848 (retarded fun)

Drop the hammer, harry

The worst thing you can do is worry about crashing while you are racing. Bad thing happen when you concentrate on them too much.

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Well I'll tell you what Chris Dinoia did last season. He works for a concrete company and at the beginning of last season they asked him to not take any time off (racing or calling out) as a courtesy to them due to a large contract with Home Depot that they had secured. They asked that every available worker stick by them until May when the job would be completed. And so he decided to not race and risk it for the 1st 2 or 3 rounds. Needless to say by July he was badly hurt at the track, but when he was finally able to try to work, they were there with his job waiting. Just trying to say that we dont pay your bills. Do what works for you. Chris absolutely hated sitting out those rounds but in the end he's better for it. BTW you won't lose your license, just renew it next season.

Last edited by Slowpoke387; 06-23-11 at 07:14 AM.
    LRRS #387

It sounds like you have thought about it thoroughly and came to a very honorable decision.

Can't say it much better than this. I say that as I sit here on the couch with a broken pelvis from a practice crash last Friday. I'll be out of work at least 4 months, if I didn't have short term disability through the union and someone to fall back on at home I'd be liquidating all my toys to buy food.