Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Computrack

RSVMILLE661

Computrack

Well I picked up the Mille' today from GMD Computrack Boston. I'm not exactly sure why Pete calls it Boston when its damn near Providence. Bellingham Mass from seacoast NH is a bitch of a drive.

Anyway, Pete did an absolutely fantastic job on the bike. I had the bike optimized for the "Sweet Numbers" Geometry. Thas right Baby.. I's gots me some Sweet Numbah's

The steering head bearings needed replacement so those were done. The front forks were re-valved and re-sprung. New shims and synthetic oil. The rear shock was Re-valved, re-sprung, new nitrogen and oil changed. The ride height was adjusted, the sag set, (yes I was there for that). I was amazed at how much taller the bike sat once the ride height was adjusted. I picked up over an inch in seat height.

The cool thing is that 1 of our sponsors had a gift certificate for the optimization. They were kind enough to give it to me so from the Grand Total of 1633.00 worth of work I only had to shell out 933.00

The nice thing is that Pete stands behind his work and if something goes wrong, say fork seals leak. He will replace them.

The sad thing is that after being with out the bike for 2 weeks I had to drop her off at Seacoast Sport Cycle Aprilia to have the 10k mile maint performed. Valves, plugs, and fluid change.

Now hopefully this will take atleast 3 seconds off my laptimes putting me on the cusp of the teens. The down side is that there are no more excuses for being slow. Lord knows the bike has plenty of motor and the factory brakes (front atleast) are better than anything else I have ever abused.

Oh and if anyone else is thinking about getting their bike to Pete before the season. Do it now he is filling up quick. I dropped her off 2 weeks ago and he was busy enough. Today he musta had 20 bikes in different states of adjustment in the shop. I can only imagine what the next 2 weeks will bring him.

So to add this to Stoneman's list of building a race bike.

Aprilia RSV Mille'......13,500.00 (not that I paid that much for mine)
    Suspension tweaking,...... 1600.00
    total race season costs..... 3000.00
    going broke but having the time of my life with my friends for a $3.00 trophy......Priceless!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Computrack

Scotty,
    I went to GMD to get some stickers from him and you are right he is just over the Woonsocket, RI border-Boston?
    The bike I bought had the suspension done by Peter and he told me to bring it in over the Holidays and he would set it up for me for free. The problem was G-man has our trailer covered in about a foot of ice and snow so I wasn't able to get it to him. I hope all those bikes he's working on are for Daytona in March.
    I guess I better start thinking of getting the bike over there ASAP.

Computrack

Kip...

I do have a pickup you could use ....Don't blame your lazieness on me

G-man

Gerard

Computrack

G-man
    I know but it's always more fun to blame things on you. The other issue is it's so fucking cold who wants to be fucking with putting a bike on or off a truck when it's -10 outside.

RSVMILLE661

Computrack

Tell me about it. It sucked yesterday. Fuckin winter

Computrack

Originally posted by kip
    G-man
    I know but it's always more fun to blame things on you. The other issue is it's so fucking cold who wants to be fucking with putting a bike on or off a truck when it's -10 outside.
    Good point.... I hate the cold...

G-man

Gerard

Computrack

well I took my race bike to Peter today. I had to keep the bike running while on the trailer just to make sure the water didn't freeze. When I go to GMD we had to let the bike sit 45 min to warm up before we started taking readings. After everything was good to go Peter started to do his thing, measuring, pushing, pulling and 10 min later he said the bike is already set up perfectly for me, and he didn't adjust anything. I thought he was making a special appointment to get me in before the season started. When he opened the doors to his shop there was three bikes in there already done and that was it. All he was doing today was cleaning up the place. O'well that's the story of my life.
    Peter is a good guy and I would recommend him to anyone.

Computrack

What does he get for basic setup?

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Banned

Question

What exactly are the "sweet numbers"?

I have a problem getting my mind around the concept.

I can revalve and re-spring my forks myself. I can set up my static sag and preload and ride-height myself. I can replace the steering head bearings myself. The only thing I can't do out of that list is the shock revalve, but I wouldn't do that anyway as I don't think the stocker could ever be as good as an Ohlins, Penske or even a Fox, so I would go with an aftermarket shock anyhow for about $800.

Just asking, not knocking anyone for being in that business (I'm interested in being in it myself) or using that service.

I want someone to sell the concept to me. What is the worth in it? Where's the bang for my buck?

Degsy

Computrack

I have a very hard time with that too. I can do alot of the setup crap myself, but I always go away thinking someone would know more of what I need than myself.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Computrack

Not that i know much about it, but i beleive the key to his service is the frame alignment and making sure everything is straight?

Yamaha

Computrack

Swingarm angle, rake angle, swingarm alignment between axle, shit like that.

There is a guy we use to measure big castings, uses a lazer which "follows" reflective mirrors....Very acurate....

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

RSVMILLE661

Re: Question

Degs,

It is optimizing the chassis for the weight and size of the rider.
    The first thing Pete asked me when I walked in the door was How was the ride? The second was how much do you weigh and how tall are you?
    The computrack computer has a scripted formula for height and weight that Pete can then use as a base line to set static sag, ride height and geometry (if adjustable) to the specific person.

The tolerences with the settings are more precise than the average "yeah this looks good" so therefore the numbers are more accurate as far as spring pre-load, compression damping and rebound. an example would be instead of 3 and 1/2 turns out of pre-load, the formula would say ok 200lb rider, 400lb 1000 cc twin cyl. bike. this will need 3.356 turns but with a spring rate of x. And will also need the ride height set to so many mm above/below standard plane.
    I'll see if I can find my paper work on it. It has the entire break down as to the changes and how they came up with those figures. I had the "sweet numbers" optimization done and can only wait to see if it is what I expect it to be.
    The formulas are derived from racer experience to bike characteristics. I'm nt sure that I fully understand it either but this is what I got from it as Pete explained it to me. Then again I was on a lot of cough syrup at the time too. I hope this helps.

RSVMILLE661

Computrack

The point that Mark makes is valid as well but that is more of just the chassis measurement service he offers. It is $150.00 to perform those tests.

Re: Question

Hey Degs how about setting my suspension up for me? I know my front forks need some revalving.

Originally posted by Degsy

I have a problem getting my mind around the concept.

I can revalve and re-spring my forks myself. I can set up my static sag and preload and ride-height myself. I can replace the steering head bearings myself. The only thing I can't do out of that list is the shock revalve, but I wouldn't do that anyway as I don't think the stocker could ever be as good as an Ohlins, Penske or even a Fox, so I would go with an aftermarket shock anyhow for about $800.

Just asking, not knocking anyone for being in that business (I'm interested in being in it myself) or using that service.

I want someone to sell the concept to me. What is the worth in it? Where's the bang for my buck?

Degsy

Banned

Computrack

Chip, give me a call Sunday 508-958-1305 we'll work something out.

degs

Computrack

Well......Yesterday I attended GMD's suspension seminar. Although I feel it was probably more beneficial for someone who works on forks and shocks, it did give me more understanding of what was goin on with the suspension while riding.

Now, I just can't wait to get on the track and push that BITCH til the rear is spinning up and the front is pushing. Degs, I know you said we have to work up to a 1:18 by mid season, but I plan on being there by Sunday the 26......sorry.

Peace
    Gary

Last edited by GMS1000; 03-17-03 at 09:41 AM.

Banned

Computrack

Originally posted by GMS1000
    Well......Yesterday I attended GMD's suspension seminar. Although I feel it was probably more beneficial for someone who works on forks and shocks, it did give me more understanding of what was goin on with the suspension while riding.

Now, I just can't wait to get on the track and push that BITCH til the rear is spinning up and the front is pushing. Degs, I know you said we have to work up to a 1:18 by mid season, but I plan on being there by Suday the 26......sorry.

Peace
    Gary
    OK, $100 cash from my pocket to ANY NESR racer who breaks 1:19:0 on the first weekend.

Trust me, my money is safe. I know what a 1:19 lap feels like, and it don't feel like a cold April day on new bikes with a winter's rest between my last trackday and now. I don't think any of us will break 1:23:00 on the first weekend of the season.

...but go for it, I would love to see you in the teens first weekend. It would certainly put NESR racing on the map.

degs

Computrack

Degsy,
    Are you goin on the April tests? I'm gonna try to make all of them (weather permitting).

peace
    Gary

Computrack

....and what's goin on with the dyno tuning? Are we goin up there together or should I make an appointment on my own? We're running out of time.

peace

Computrack

Gary,
    So do you have the edge for suspension tuning yet??? My bike awaits
    I am definly going to the April 5th + 6th session... Assuming that I get a shock for my bike by then (I Don't see a problem with that). Give me a call and we can meet up...

G-man

Gerard

....................... PinHead's Avatar

Computrack

Taking the bike to Computrack before you make it to the track might not be a bad idea. You can spend the time doing laps getting to know the bike instead of tweaking all day. Not to say you might want to change something, but these guys know this shit real good! Perfect head start . My 2 cents

2018 Harley Road Glide
    2000 Ducati 900ss
    2003 Harley Softail Deuce

Computrack

Originally posted by gsxr600ger
    Gary,
    So do you have the edge for suspension tuning yet??? My bike awaits
    G-man
    Uhhh....No! but I do know what the inside of your forks look like....

Computrack

Originally posted by GMS1000
    Uhhh....No! but I do know what the inside of your forks look like....
    Me too. I guess we can leave the initial setup to Derick

G-man

Gerard

Computrack

Give Peter a call and see if he has time to set your bikes up. Like I said it only took about 10 min. for him to check all the settings, ride height, ect. I don't think he charges anything for this. When he was finished with my bike I asked him what the charge was and he said "If I bought lunch that would be fine".
    He did say he gets busy right after tax time, so if you want to use him you better get a move on.

Or you can always use the Doctor. Degsy that is the man of all trades. and all Degsy needs is

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast